By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Months Have Passed, Dust Settled; Rate FFXIII!

Months Have Passed, Dust Settled; Rate FFXIII!

Best game ever! 12 3.51%

Best FF game ever! 21 6.14%

Good, but not my favorite FF game. 114 33.33%

Decent, but lots of better RPGs out there. 88 25.73%

Bad. It isn't enjoyable. 48 14.04%

Awful. A waste of money and time. 59 17.25%

Total:342
Darc Requiem said:
Barozi said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Barozi said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Barozi said:
zgamer5 said:

wors rpg i ever played. well its the first jrpg i ever played. i only play wrpgs elder scrolls, dragon age origins..... the story was boring, the gameplay was bad, and the characters were gay, i hated it!

after 2 hours i gave up

You didn't even beat the tutorial and couldn't experience the true battle system

1/3 of the game is a tutorial. He didn't miss much. Kinda

Real game starts when you get your crystarium and can use paradigms at the beginning of the 3rd chapter which happens around the 3 hour mark.

Took me 50 hours to finish the game, so the tutorial covers around 6% of the game, 10% at most.

Wrong, the tutorial ends at the start of Gran Pulse. Lets say about 25 hours on average about half the game, so lets be fair here. Now once on Gran Pulse, you have the option of doing side-quests, and leveling up your crystarium. And if you're hardcore you'll complete all your ultimate weapons by farming gil and that ridiculous rare drop item to upgrade weapons. Maybe 30-40hrs on that? So, do you see what I'm coming with here?

looool the tutorial has ended loooong before that. Just because you get some tips at the beginning of the chapter doesn't mean the 20 hours before that are tutorials....

Everything important you need to know to play the game happens during chapters 1-3.

Only new thing you can do at Grand Pulse is doing the side quest. Everything else was already available 20 hours earlier.

The tutorial ends on Pulse. It's the first time you have complete access to all of the games systems. You know things like determining who your party is.

have you played Final Fantasy IV, same thing. disliking it is fine. Just a tutorial it is not

Around the Network

I bought it almost a month ago since I had the money (was 30 bucks). Sadly, had to play from the begining again (already played some hours of the JPN version but didn't work with my JPN save). After 7 or 8 hours (ahead of where I stopped playing the JPN version) I kinda lost all interest... It took me 3 weeks to get 7-8 hours in. Following the Yellow Brick Road just isn't fun.

thelifatree said:
Darc Requiem said:
Barozi said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Barozi said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Barozi said:
zgamer5 said:

wors rpg i ever played. well its the first jrpg i ever played. i only play wrpgs elder scrolls, dragon age origins..... the story was boring, the gameplay was bad, and the characters were gay, i hated it!

after 2 hours i gave up

You didn't even beat the tutorial and couldn't experience the true battle system

1/3 of the game is a tutorial. He didn't miss much. Kinda

Real game starts when you get your crystarium and can use paradigms at the beginning of the 3rd chapter which happens around the 3 hour mark.

Took me 50 hours to finish the game, so the tutorial covers around 6% of the game, 10% at most.

Wrong, the tutorial ends at the start of Gran Pulse. Lets say about 25 hours on average about half the game, so lets be fair here. Now once on Gran Pulse, you have the option of doing side-quests, and leveling up your crystarium. And if you're hardcore you'll complete all your ultimate weapons by farming gil and that ridiculous rare drop item to upgrade weapons. Maybe 30-40hrs on that? So, do you see what I'm coming with here?

looool the tutorial has ended loooong before that. Just because you get some tips at the beginning of the chapter doesn't mean the 20 hours before that are tutorials....

Everything important you need to know to play the game happens during chapters 1-3.

Only new thing you can do at Grand Pulse is doing the side quest. Everything else was already available 20 hours earlier.

The tutorial ends on Pulse. It's the first time you have complete access to all of the games systems. You know things like determining who your party is.

have you played Final Fantasy IV, same thing. disliking it is fine. Just a tutorial it is not

FFIV had a five character limit for battles. So, if you had a main character with you they were in your battle party. In FFXIII there are points in the game before Pulse in which you will have more characters than 3 characters in your party travelling with you, you can equip these characters, use their CP, and but not be able to place them in the active battle party. You are thinking about how your characters became seperated througout the story in both games, that's not what I'm complaining about.

I played about seven hours into it and haven't gone back for several months.  I may or may not get around to more someday.  When a game encourages you to spend almost as much time reading plain text in sub-menus as you do actually playing, that's some pretty suspect storytelling.  The banal and repetitive nature of the dialogue through that much of the game was also galling.  The character designs are uninteresting and derivative, and Hope is particularly grating through the early goings (to say nothing of Vanille).

So far, I was okay with the battle system, though.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Darc Requiem said:
thelifatree said:

FFIV had a five character limit for battles. So, if you had a main character with you they were in your battle party. In FFXIII there are points in the game before Pulse in which you will have more characters than 3 characters in your party travelling with you, you can equip these characters, use their CP, and but not be able to place them in the active battle party. You are thinking about how your characters became seperated througout the story in both games, that's not what I'm complaining about.

Edit: Since we both agree on the problem. And it is now clearly defined.

No sense on arguing what to call it. I call it a design flaw. You call it a tutorial. Someone could call it their grandma's ass and all could be correct.

Around the Network

I wish there were secret eidolons.

all those missions just left me feeling meh

maxing out the skill trees and weapons was too boring to consider, and normally i <3 teh grind

had a great battle system, sound and graphics though.

all in all, Decent, but lots of better RPGs out there

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

thelifatree said:

Some of those were co-directed darth I think, atleast Toriyama's maybe some of kitase's too.

Wait who the hell directed 9? Matsuno directed 12? and Sakaguchi Directed 1-5

Hiroyuki Ito directed FF9, he also co-directed FF6 with Kitase, and took over to direct FF12 when Matsuno left. i think theres another franchise he works on in SE, but imo he seems to be a very a good director.

I see a lot of people saying "Great battle system". I can't help but think WHAT THE HELL? ARE WE PLAYING THE SAME GAME???

What's so great at spamming Auto-Battle for most of the game (some tactics beyond Auto-Battle are required on tougher missions but the main story can be easily completed without)? Or hitting a tiny mushroom 1,000 times to deplete its 1,000,000 HP because its Chain resistance is INSANE???

God, If this crap is a great battle system, what's Atlus' magnificent one in SMT? So much tactics, along with speed and accessibility.

To me, it's like SE just tried to appeal too much to the 18 year old CoD and PES crowd and it shows through all aspects of this FF turd (even sales!). I also hated FFXII and it's battle system (I hate MMOs) but at least I respected SE's effort and tone throughout the game.

FFXIII is a disgrace of a FF. I will seriously consider purchasing a FF game in the future if SE doesn't pull itself together (which I doubt, with Nada at the helm and Sakaguchi gone).

routsounmanman said:

I see a lot of people saying "Great battle system". I can't help but think WHAT THE HELL? ARE WE PLAYING THE SAME GAME???

What's so great at spamming Auto-Battle for most of the game (some tactics beyond Auto-Battle are required on tougher missions but the main story can be easily completed without)? Or hitting a tiny mushroom 1,000 times to deplete its 1,000,000 HP because its Chain resistance is INSANE???

God, If this crap is a great battle system, what's Atlus' magnificent one in SMT? So much tactics, along with speed and accessibility.

To me, it's like SE just tried to appeal too much to the 18 year old CoD and PES crowd and it shows through all aspects of this FF turd (even sales!). I also hated FFXII and it's battle system (I hate MMOs) but at least I respected SE's effort and tone throughout the game.

FFXIII is a disgrace of a FF. I will seriously consider purchasing a FF game in the future if SE doesn't pull itself together (which I doubt, with Nada at the helm and Sakaguchi gone).

I agree with you on some level, i think the battle system in FF13 was fun and great action... but you would fight an enemy using a set of paradigms, then you would fight the same enemy about a dozen times using that same paradigm strategy. you would then repeat that strategy with every enemy in the game, despite their appearance being different; my point was it got old fast!!

i think that the direction the series has gone in is very dissappointing, personally i hope that Wada thinks about whats happened and tries to bring Sakaguchi back into the fold, i could see it happening if the Last Story is successful.

A203D said:
routsounmanman said:

I agree with you on some level, i think the battle system in FF13 was fun and great action... but you would fight an enemy using a set of paradigms, then you would fight the same enemy about a dozen times using that same paradigm strategy. you would then repeat that strategy with every enemy in the game, despite their appearance being different; my point was it got old fast!!

i think that the direction the series has gone in is very dissappointing, personally i hope that Wada thinks about whats happened and tries to bring Sakaguchi back into the fold, i could see it happening if the Last Story is successful.

I wouldn't really see it happening. either way. If sakaguchi is successful. Wouldn't he want to continue his success with mistwalker.

And if he fails, why would square enix want to bring him back as well?

Though one case is that square-enix could publish a mistwalker project. and possibly even have a level-5 like relationship and they could do a final fantasy.

Though I don't really understand what the hell Mistwalker is besides, that it's sakaguchi.

Mistwalker didn't develop Lost Odyssey. It was developed by feel plus (The people from the disolved company that made shadow hearts, that microsoft put together to help mistwalker) and the people developing MindJack published by SE I think. Sakaguchi Wrote it, besides the dreams... so do you or anyone have an explanation as to what Mistwalker is?  Because Last Story isn't developed by feel plus is it?

Or was lost odyssey, developed kinda how TWEWY was how it wasn't all by square