By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How do you predict the PS3 'jailbreak' will effect h/s sales

I received the original PS Jaiblreak ordered from www.gadget-asia.com. It works very well with my PS3, whose firmware stays as 3.41. I have backed up several favorite games to the HDD. We also received emails from them saying the producers had been working to upgrade the mod chip. It seems to be compatible with 3.42 and 3.5, but I'm worried to try it, so I keep the firmware as 3.41". Hope it will be upgraded soon.

Around the Network

Piracy has a much bigger effect then many people think. Ofc most consious people that pirate are going to claim that they will only pirate games they wouldn't have bought regardless. Even if that were the case its wrong. Go steal a game from gamestop and if you get caught, tell the manager that you weren't going to buy it if you didn't steal it so its not a big deal. I'm sure that will go over well. The bigger issue though is everyone occasionally buys games they are not extremly interested in, ether because of a drought of great games, or simply because you get bored one weekend and got some spare cash. Most people who start pirating will never buy another game they are "just interested in" anymore.

People wonder why pretty decent titles on the wii and ds sell so badly. Its because pirates just tell themselves "ehh I wasn't really planning on buying the game, so its not a big deal if I just pirate it", even though probably 30-50% of them would have eventually bought the game, to try it.Im not going to even comment on the psp's software. Self expanitory.

Sorry for that rant. As for the question, I have no idea how easy it is to jailbrake but piracy will spurr hardware sales in the developing world, but won't effect software much there since no one buys their games anyway, but will severly hurt software sales for none blockbuster titles in places where the ps3 already sells well. Its funny that people are seeing this as a way for playstation to beat xbox. PC and PSP have been ruined by piracy.  DS and Wii are very close. Its crazy people want that to potentially happen to the ps3 so its hardware can beat the 360.

It was patched almost imediately, it isn't as easy as the Xbox hack (needs buying a key, sony went to court)

Only people who were interested in piracy from the beginning bough this basically