By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How do you predict the PS3 'jailbreak' will effect h/s sales

kivi95 said:

What sony should is not to stop this pirate thing in 2-3months and then BOOM they will make a firmware release that stop the pirasy and after that sony have much more hardware.

Why sell hardware to people who have no intention to buy software?

So the PS3 fanboys can win claim victory over the console war? I don't get this logic.

Around the Network

sony should bundle the dongle to get massive sales.

oni-link said:

It should slowly collapse the PS3 market.  The DS, Wii and PC markets have collapsed because of this crap.  I have heard ppl at work buy the system and "back up/Share" games up to 15 games per system on the Wii.  I reakon depending on how savy the  PS3 owners are it will hurt sales esp with the upcomming Move release!

This is wrong, 360 game sales haven't been affected that much and there is a lot of piracy on that system, and also this kind of thing only appeals to a small amount of game console owners, It is frowned upon by most of the general public who buy their games, and also it seems like a lot of work to "Jailbreak" the PS3.

no idea how to make this properly work

Kavitron said:
oni-link said:

It should slowly collapse the PS3 market.  The DS, Wii and PC markets have collapsed because of this crap.  I have heard ppl at work buy the system and "back up/Share" games up to 15 games per system on the Wii.  I reakon depending on how savy the  PS3 owners are it will hurt sales esp with the upcomming Move release!

This is wrong, 360 game sales haven't been affected that much and there is a lot of piracy on that system, and also this kind of thing only appeals to a small amount of game console owners, It is frowned upon by most of the general public who buy their games, and also it seems like a lot of work to "Jailbreak" the PS3.

Actually it's very simple. 

It's on the level of simplicity, that R4 cards are for DS. To give you an idea. 

I don't think it'll have significant effect on software sales either though, even if it's left open... I mean, I don't understand how, but not even attach rates seemed to take a significant hit due to the 360 hacking. 

zgamer5 said:
Xero said:
zgamer5 said:

sony will loose on software sales. becuase il stop buying games!

Really? ... why? because you'll be stealing them? I wouldn't have thought someone would have been so open about something like that. 

im joking :P i would love to have a pirated ps3 so i could get games for free. but unfortuantly sony is going to do something against it. but even if i had  one i would spend money on big titles. il use my pirated ps3 for titles which im not planning to buy.

You should Gamefly them instead. 

Around the Network

software will slightly sell less since there can be existing users that would like to pirate. Hardware would increase due to the pirates that still haven't bought it yet.

SuperAdrianK said:

software will slightly sell less since there can be existing users that would like to pirate. Hardware would increase due to the pirates that still haven't bought it yet.

I suppose this possibly makes a future price drop less likely considering if Sony are selling consoles to people who have no intention to buy any software (ie people who will be using this hack) then they're going to be wanting to make as much profit on each unit sold, from those 'consumers' (pirates). 

Just my thoughts. 

Xero said:

Anyway, as far as I see it, hardware sales will see a small boost, software sales will see a small decrease.

[...]

I do wonder how many of the people who hacked there 360s, would have done so if they had know that they would have been banned from the XBOX Live service

I agree with your sales prediction, and expect the effect to be very small in the end.

In just a few weeks there will be a firmware update that blocks this hack and people who use it may get banned. As soon as this happens, the interest in this "jailbreak" will instantly drop to almost zero, as from that point on you will only be able to play old games. A few people may still buy the device to play all the great exclusives released so far, but since old games do not have high sales numbers anyway and these people probably wouldn't have bought the games anyway, it will probably have hardly any effect on software sales.

About people modding their 360s: my experience is that most people who do this know very well that they will get banned. That was probably different in the early days of Xbox 360 modding, but with Microsoft banning modded 360s for several years now, people know what to expect. But the situation on the 360 is different: Your modded console will get banned, but firmware updates do not affect the possibility to play pirated games - so even if it gets banned you can still play every new game that gets released. So most owners of modded 360s simply have two or more 360s: One modded (and probably banned) one for playing pirated games offline, and one unmodded one for playing original games that they just can't live without playing online.

It will help to increase the sales of PS3. I got an email about this mod chip, considering to buy it. Anyone interested? Buy more, cheaper. http://www.gadget-asia.com/en/home/world-s-first-ps3-modchip-ps-jailbreak-plug-and-play.html

The PS Jailbreak does not arrive :( My friend told me that he got an email from another website -www.buyps3jailbreak.co.uk, offering a PS3 Break with good quality and better price.  Hmmm…… this seems more attractive.