By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How do you predict the PS3 'jailbreak' will effect h/s sales

That would deal huge blow to x360 sales in developing countries.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

sony will loose on software sales. becuase il stop buying games!

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

zgamer5 said:

Really? ... why? because you'll be stealing them? I wouldn't have thought someone would have been so open about something like that. 

Xero said:
zgamer5 said:

Really? ... why? because you'll be stealing them? I wouldn't have thought someone would have been so open about something like that. 

im joking :P i would love to have a pirated ps3 so i could get games for free. but unfortuantly sony is going to do something against it. but even if i had  one i would spend money on big titles. il use my pirated ps3 for titles which im not planning to buy.

zgamer5 said:
Xero said:
zgamer5 said:

im joking :P i would love to have a pirated ps3 so i could get games for free. but unfortuantly sony is going to do something against it. but even if i had  one i would spend money on big titles. il use my pirated ps3 for titles which im not planning to buy.

Yeah. I don't actually believe piracy has a significant effect on sales. I believe your philosophy towards piracy is shared by the majority of, pirates. They do still buy the games, that they would have found them buying themselves buying anyway. 

I don't think the 360 took a significant hit from the pirates, with software sales very similar to the PS3s - and over 5million 360 units known to be capable of running pirated titles. Software figures don't appear to reflect any impact of piracy, which is also a little weird. 

Piracy has severely effected the PC and PSP markets. I think a significant factor there though is that the consumer has no attachment to physical media, so weather running an illegal copy of a game, or a legal copy of a game - the presentation of the title is exactly the same. PSP piracy also sees additional advantages in enhnanced portability. It wasn't before the PSP-GO was launched that PSP games were largely available for digital download, so hacking ones PSP meant you could be disc-free on the go, which is a big asset for a portable gamer. 

Around the Network
Xero said:
zgamer5 said:
Xero said:
zgamer5 said:

Yeah. I don't actually believe piracy has a significant effect on sales. I believe your philosophy towards piracy is shared by the majority of, pirates. They do still buy the games, that they would have found them buying themselves buying anyway. 

I don't think the 360 took a significant hit from the pirates, with software sales very similar to the PS3s - and over 5million 360 units known to be capable of running pirated titles. Software figures don't appear to reflect any impact of piracy, which is also a little weird. 

Piracy has severely effected the PC and PSP markets. I think a significant factor there though is that the consumer has no attachment to physical media, so weather running an illegal copy of a game, or a legal copy of a game - the presentation of the title is exactly the same. PSP piracy also sees additional advantages in enhnanced portability. It wasn't before the PSP-GO was launched that PSP games were largely available for digital download, so hacking ones PSP meant you could be disc-free on the go, which is a big asset for a portable gamer. 

if their is going to be software drops then it wont be for games which have online. im sure that their is going to be a firmware which fries the system if its hacked, like they did for the psp. so if any games get hacked it could be single player only games and rpgs. 

if piracy has an effect its in europe and in developing countries, but again as long as sony shut down online it wont have an effect. this is when i thank cod and fifa, they are fighting pirates.

It will gain a good hardware boost in Others in the middle to long term. Maybe effectively doubling hardware sales in some places when all is said and done, when compared to what they would be with no piracy mods.

Actually all of this reminds pretty much of the original Xbox piracy scene. Microsoft's own code leaked, everyone thought it would be easy to fix but the rest became history.

Software sales would keep pretty much stable, like they are now. Most people pirating are those who wouldn't get the game another way, so...

haxxiy said:

Software sales would keep pretty much stable, like they are now. Most people pirating are those who wouldn't get the game another way, so...

You know thinking about it that way makes a lot of sense

LordDeDeDe said:
haxxiy said:

You know thinking about it that way makes a lot of sense

How? Some people who would have paid retail would pirate instead.

What sony should is not to stop this pirate thing in 2-3months and then BOOM they will make a firmware release that stop the pirasy and after that sony have much more hardware.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!