By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Xbox ever outsell the PS3 in Others or Japan ever again?

it will probably outsell it in others some week,but not in japan

Around the Network

Does anyone have the link to that microsoft "2-1" quote. I really think they were talking about software not hardware. Either that or they are rounding off about 50,000 consoles.

Also, I was thinking that the 360 price drop would promptly draw one out from Sony, as I dont htink they could afford to have an Xbox360 below 200 while theres is 400.

I do think that the 360 will cut out the core, drop the Premium to 299 or 250, and drop the elite to 350. I dont see them being able to drop the Arcade to 199 next year, but if they did Sony would be in very very serious trouble.

Not in Japan, and I'd say probably not in Europe/Other as well. I don't think there is any huge event left they could do to push it up over it. Unless of course they do something insane that would cause that but ya never know.

leo-j said:
@eugene

Are you on something?

Sony can take america back. With those huge AAA games next year.

It takes more than games to win back America.  There is a huge brandname in America that screams Wii and a one that's just a little bit smaller that screams 360.  To take that back Sony needs to tap into the brandname, which is not going to be easy.  It would be easier if there was only one big brandname as there would always leave room to join in, but with 2 big brandnames it becomes harder.  America will easily be the hardest market to stop 360 and Wii in.  

But you can't be deceived by America as well, as it's the only region out there that will allow for 3 competitors.  That's why GC and Xbox were still able to have sales like that, but that doesn't mean they were good. Same with PS3.  If all it sales in America lifetime is 15-20 million then that ain't good.  It needs to start really digging into that brandname and either knocking down Wii percent or 360 percent, both that would be very difficult to do.  Such that it can take sales away from them and push itself up.  This will not be easy and maybe found out to be impossible towards the end of the generation, as both 360 and Wii have dominance hardware wise with Wii on top and both have dominance software wise with 360 on top.  

I'm just glad I'm not Sony cause I really don't know now how Sony will be able to get into the market.  I'd have to think upon it more.   

Japan - No
EU - Maybe

BTW, I just got my Ps3 by Monday, with a 40' Bravia

It's Amazing :D

Around the Network
Jandre02 said:

Some say it is due to the price cuts, but its been over a month since prices dropped in Europe so that doesnt seem to be the case anymore, yet the gap between the two keeps widening 

Price cuts are supposed to have a lasting effect, otherwise there'd be no point in doing them. PS3 gained momentum due to price cuts. The Xbox 360 obviously needs another one.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think the 360 has a good chance of staying ahead of the PS3 in Others for 2008, and even a decent one at moving more consoles for most of the year. Microsoft, unlike Sony, has the luxury of being able to drop the price of their console by as much as 100€ any time they want, and we all saw how much a move like that helped the PS3. Especially when the millions of GTA fans still without a current gen console start considering the merits of the various platforms.

As for the 360 beating the PS3 in Japan, well... maybe if the latter is pulled off the market within two years from now, or the former gets some really big exclusives at the same time as a price drop.

Zucas said:
leo-j said:
@eugene

Are you on something?

Sony can take america back. With those huge AAA games next year.

It takes more than games to win back America. There is a huge brandname in America that screams Wii and a one that's just a little bit smaller that screams 360. To take that back Sony needs to tap into the brandname, which is not going to be easy. It would be easier if there was only one big brandname as there would always leave room to join in, but with 2 big brandnames it becomes harder. America will easily be the hardest market to stop 360 and Wii in.

But you can't be deceived by America as well, as it's the only region out there that will allow for 3 competitors. That's why GC and Xbox were still able to have sales like that, but that doesn't mean they were good. Same with PS3. If all it sales in America lifetime is 15-20 million then that ain't good. It needs to start really digging into that brandname and either knocking down Wii percent or 360 percent, both that would be very difficult to do. Such that it can take sales away from them and push itself up. This will not be easy and maybe found out to be impossible towards the end of the generation, as both 360 and Wii have dominance hardware wise with Wii on top and both have dominance software wise with 360 on top.

I'm just glad I'm not Sony cause I really don't know now how Sony will be able to get into the market. I'd have to think upon it more.

This is where I disagree with alot of people on this site it seems. I still think the PS3 has America mainstream. I only say this because when i go out, the average person who plays Madden and GTA still wants to get a PS3. They have no idea about these shooters games, and dont even know that BioShock exists. They all still buy Madden/NCAA yearly on the PS2, and I still dont see why those people would pick a 360 over a PS3 unless they picked it up last year.

When all the consoles drop into the mainstreams price range between $300 and $200 its an entirely new ballgame. Games are needed for consoles to sell, agreed. But console name and familiarity has more sway than just games do. If the Xbox had a hit GTA like game, or a hit racing or fighting exclusive I would think differently, but everyone has to admit that the games that sell on the Xbox are shooters. Its not a bad thing for Microsoft, since fans of shooters will keep buying shooters as long as you release them, but its not winning the mainstream console buyers who dont sit down 30 hours a weeks and play with their clans and pwn mad nubs.

Those mainstream buyers are what elevate a console above the 50,000,000 lifetime sales awards. And the problem with the hardcore shooter fans, is that it will only take better online features and 3-4 good exclusive titles to get them to purchase a PS3 as well. Mainstream buyers wont buy a second console, so whoever wins them over has them for the duration of the console war exclusively. 

with PS3 sales dropping, if LO proves to be huge, 360 could take Japan next week.

as for Europe, who knows. I think it'll see-saw back and forth between the two of them next year, depending on the game releases

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

felipedmoreira said:
Japan - No
EU - Maybe

BTW, I just got my Ps3 by Monday, with a 40' Bravia

It's Amazing :D

Congradulations, good choice on the TV Bravias are awesome.