By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Xbox ever outsell the PS3 in Others or Japan ever again?

Im more impressed that the 360 is keeping up as it is with the PS3 despite all the claims that the PS3 is superior, has blue ray movie playing abilities, and has free online and is only marginally cheaper, except for the one that has the Halo 3 bundle. That one is exactly the same price as the PS3.

Around the Network

Lets go back to earlier in the year, the 360 sales stalled badly (probably due to the Wii) and really it took Halo 3 to boost it. Problem for the 360 is that they don't have anything until GTA 4 to really boost hardware sales.

Next year we will no doubt see the PS3 overtake the 360 in PAL regions but not in the US yet. But in 2009 the PS3 will move in front of 360 in overall US sales and overall.

Bonafide732 said:
i think anything can happen especially with price cuts but i think the others and euro market is starting to lean towards the ps3 ...

It does appear that way. But, my entire point is that a lot can change. A 279 Pro in March could go a long way toward changing the tide in Europe.

Without knowing what MS and Sony can do with their game lineups and pricing, we're all just throwing darts at a wall in the dark. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Freestyler said:
Next year we will no doubt see the PS3 overtake the 360 in PAL regions but not in the US yet. But in 2009 the PS3 will move in front of 360 in overall US sales and overall.

So the PS3 is going to start outselling the 360 by ~270,000 units a month in North America so it can pass the 360 in December of 2009?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

They won't stop the price cuts until they reach the point where price is not the reason people don't buy PS3's. No one can deny that it's brandname that is helping Sony in Europe. Their console is more expensive, their exclusives have thus far bombed, their multiplatform games perform well and they sell more consoles then the 360 despite the fact that one can arguably say that the 360 lineup next year is considerably weaker next year while the PS3's is considerably stronger.

Like I said, if 360 drop so will PS3. Don't believe it, I don't care if you don't. But if you have been paying attention Sony will do whatever it takes to not loose their market share. If that means dropping the price, then that's what will happen.

Around the Network

Well, the 360 has never outsold the PS3 in Japan, so that is not going to happen. (Point of clarification, there are two weeks are too close to call, but it really does not matter who was ahead because they are statistically a "dead heat.").

In Others, a price drop or a top game would spur sales. That being said, if it were price alone, we would not be having this conversation since the 360 tends to be less than the PS3. I also don't know European pricing. But I do know if that if the price of the Premium got closer to the core, it could help.

(According to various sources, PS3 60G is 300 ukp, premium 360 is 250 ukp, arcade 360 is 200 ukp, and wii 180 ukp)

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

rocketpig said:
Bonafide732 said:
i think anything can happen especially with price cuts but i think the others and euro market is starting to lean towards the ps3 ...

It does appear that way. But, my entire point is that a lot can change. A 279 Pro in March could go a long way toward changing the tide in Europe.

Without knowing what MS and Sony can do with their game lineups and pricing, we're all just throwing darts at a wall in the dark. 

lol owww my eye

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

@jhlennon

wtf? dude, sony cant afford another price cut. they have lost so much money, if they did it again they would not make any money this gen, so market-share really wouldn't count for anything. also, the xbox 360 still has a huge chance of keeping lead in Eu.

@freestylr: were the hell do you get that from? ps3 outselling xbox 360 in WW sales in 2009? so some math dude. they would have to, starting now, out sell the xbox 360 720 a week all the way to december 2009 to finally take 2nd in WW sales.

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

Ok, lets look at the situation.

360 already has superior game line up, cheaper console, games bundled.

PS3 has, more expensive console, weaker exclusives released, inferior 3rd party games and 1st party games that have performed less then stellar.

Yet despite all that, the PS3 is still outselling the 360? It's beyond doubt at the moment that no game is going to save the 360 and the only possible way is to drop their ALREADY CHEAPER, MORE AFFORDABLE console even CHEAPER?

Guys, get it through your heads. The 360 has problems in Europe, big problems, much bigger then any of you are actually realizing.

And even with all of the 360's problems in Europe and Japan, it still somehow manages to out sell the PS3 every week consistently even after a $100 price drop, what does that tell you abou the PS3's problems?