By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 48 Best games of 2008 - Gamepro.com

--OkeyDokey-- said:
secret agent clank? i've never even heard of that peice of crap. why is it so high on the list????

I'll answer my own question here: the list is bad and gamepro should feel bad.

please put your head in a hole and stay there for a few hours. SAC is a spinoff of R&C. It's a small little treasure. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Smash_Brother said:
ckmlb said: How many times can you fight Bowser? How many times can you drive in a circle in Mario Kart? How many times can you fight Ganondorf? How many times can you collect the same Pokemon and fight other Pokemon? How many times can you use a gravity gun to throw objects at enemies? I could go on forever but this can obviously apply to all sequels and/or games of the same genre...

Do people realize I'm not just talking about GTA? We have GTA, Saints Row, Godfather, True Crime, Simpsons Hit and Run and I'm sure a pile of them I don't even know about.

I'm saying that the "sandbox" horse has been beaten to death, and I'm not suggesting that there aren't any OTHER genres that haven't likewise been beaten to death (FPSes being the primary culprit here) but it just seems like the GTA crime sandbox formula was hit hard and fast and when the genre consists of the same action no matter where you find it, I can't see why the genre stays afloat.

I admit that Godfather Blackhand was one of the most enjoyable games on the Wii with the motion control being as awesome as it was, but after becoming the don of NYC, I couldn't fathom ever playing a sandbox crime game all the way through ever again, just like I only ever played ONE Pokemon game (Ruby) just to see what the fuss was about and then never again. I couldn't fathom playing another one of those either.

Fighting Bowser is a different story because you're not always fighting him the same way. You could be jumping over him to hit a switch, throwing enemies in the air to hit him, spinning him by his tail into mines, firing his projectiles back at him, etc. In each case, the game is asking me to perform a different set of actions to succeed.

In sandbox games, you perform use the same controls to perform the same action each time. Running people over is still running people over, just as there's no tactile difference between beating a hooker with a bat in one game than another.

I realize that gaming in general suffers from this problem, but some genres do a good job of keeping it fresh while others just vomit out the same stuff over and over again and people keep buying them. Perhaps GTA IV will bring something new to the table, but I can't be the only one who has seen the explosion of the sandbox genre and its inevitable horse-beating.

Grand Theft Auto 4 needs to be more like Super Smash Brothers Smash Brawl Melee where you don't fight other characters or have special moves or anything else that has been done TO DEATH in fighting games. NO WAY HOSAY!

It needs to be more like Zelda The Legend of Temple of Doom because in that one you don't go to temples and it doesn't play the same way or have the same items as the last 5 Zelda rehashes. NO FUCKING WAY HOSAY!

It needs to be like Super Mario Universe 3: Bowser's Revenge it mixes things up by having giant flowers that shoot fireballs I shit you not! It looks the exact same as the one in Super Mario Universe 2: Bowser's Vengeance but the textures are better! No shit! And you jump to avoid falling! And you have to avoid giant bullets and other things being shot at you. You also get to change into other forms! A racoon, ghost, err.. And best of all you can jump on some enemies heads to kill them and you get to collect purple and blue stars!

Numbnuts use that wii brain of yours next time before posting.

VPutin said:
Smash_Brother said:
ckmlb said: How many times can you fight Bowser? How many times can you drive in a circle in Mario Kart? How many times can you fight Ganondorf? How many times can you collect the same Pokemon and fight other Pokemon? How many times can you use a gravity gun to throw objects at enemies? I could go on forever but this can obviously apply to all sequels and/or games of the same genre...

Do people realize I'm not just talking about GTA? We have GTA, Saints Row, Godfather, True Crime, Simpsons Hit and Run and I'm sure a pile of them I don't even know about.

I'm saying that the "sandbox" horse has been beaten to death, and I'm not suggesting that there aren't any OTHER genres that haven't likewise been beaten to death (FPSes being the primary culprit here) but it just seems like the GTA crime sandbox formula was hit hard and fast and when the genre consists of the same action no matter where you find it, I can't see why the genre stays afloat.

I admit that Godfather Blackhand was one of the most enjoyable games on the Wii with the motion control being as awesome as it was, but after becoming the don of NYC, I couldn't fathom ever playing a sandbox crime game all the way through ever again, just like I only ever played ONE Pokemon game (Ruby) just to see what the fuss was about and then never again. I couldn't fathom playing another one of those either.

Fighting Bowser is a different story because you're not always fighting him the same way. You could be jumping over him to hit a switch, throwing enemies in the air to hit him, spinning him by his tail into mines, firing his projectiles back at him, etc. In each case, the game is asking me to perform a different set of actions to succeed.

In sandbox games, you perform use the same controls to perform the same action each time. Running people over is still running people over, just as there's no tactile difference between beating a hooker with a bat in one game than another.

I realize that gaming in general suffers from this problem, but some genres do a good job of keeping it fresh while others just vomit out the same stuff over and over again and people keep buying them. Perhaps GTA IV will bring something new to the table, but I can't be the only one who has seen the explosion of the sandbox genre and its inevitable horse-beating.

Grand Theft Auto 4 needs to be more like Super Smash Brothers Smash Brawl Melee where you don't fight other characters or have special moves or anything else that has been done TO DEATH in fighting games. NO WAY HOSAY!

It needs to be more like Zelda The Legend of Temple of Doom because in that one you don't go to temples and it doesn't play the same way or have the same items as the last 5 Zelda rehashes. NO FUCKING WAY HOSAY!

It needs to be like Super Mario Universe 3: Bowser's Revenge it mixes things up by having giant flowers that shoot fireballs I shit you not! It looks the exact same as the one in Super Mario Universe 2: Bowser's Vengeance but the textures are better! No shit! And you jump to avoid falling! And you have to avoid giant bullets and other things being shot at you. You also get to change into other forms! A racoon, ghost, err.. And best of all you can jump on some enemies heads to kill them and you get to collect purple and blue stars!

Numbnuts use that wii brain of yours next time before posting.

If only some morons took their own advice. 

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Uh, yeah, staying out of the flamewars here...

I'm most interested to mark this list for posterity and see just how well these titles sell next year. One thing that always amazes me is how some titles receive fawning praise from the gaming press, then go on to have little to no effect on the sales charts, while at the same time other games go unmentioned and do fabulous sales. That disconnect seems to be getting wider than ever at the moment. For this past year, Mario Party and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl were barely discussed at all, yet they will both finish among the top 5 sellers of 2007. I'll be nice and not mention the disappointments...

Smash Brothers and Gran Turismo are going to outsell almost everything on this list. I have no idea why they're sitting in the 30s while niche titles (Frontlines? Prototype? Borderlands?) are ranked so much higher. And although it's been said, wow - whoever made this list sure does like their shooters! Anyway, let's check back on this and see just how badly Gamepro did in a couple of month's time.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

"That disconnect seems to be getting wider than ever at the moment."

Why are you surprised? Gaming is just getting mainstream.

Shitty movies will often do much better than great movies.
When you take the Top20 of the actual single charts you will also see more crap then great music.

Of course you could always argue that being good is defined by more people buying it but this is hard to argue when one terrible PopStars winner after another sells millions of singles that make your ears bleed.

You just have to live with the fact that critical acclaim is only one factor of many that influences sales. The thing about high quality titles is they will always have a market. Popstars winners normally don't torture your ears a second time.

Around the Network

I dont mind if a games sells 500K or 750K ,the important for me is if the game is any good .Games as Eternal Darkness ,Psychonauts ,Okami,Panzeer Dragoon Orta etc didnt sell well at all and are some of the best games of last generation.Owning and playing the games is the important thing ,that the game actually owns in sales or is owned by "How to be a mother " or "Nintendogs " is pretty much irrelevant ,it can add maybe a 0.1% to the enjoyment of the title .

Theres tons of quality games coming next year .For the X360 and the PS3 ,specially the PS3 .The Wii doesnt have too much but it doesnt matter does it ?Wii Sports and Wii Fit will keep droves of casuals buying the machine so nintendites can be happy ,their enjoyment because of the sales of their machine wont end ...they just wont have too much to play .

I own a PS3, Wii, and a Gamer-level PC, So I am looking forward to, in order:

Spore
Starcraft2
Fallout 3
Little Big Planet
Mario Kart

That being said, I hate FPS's, I never owned a playstation or PS2, so I'm just now learning their games, and traditionally I've been a PC "fanboy."

I also like creative fun games, oh, and I also dislike GTA games, becasue they're GTA games ;)

Anyone have any suggestions for other ones from that list i should try>?

I own for the Wii: wii sports, wii play, SMG, Zelda, and red steel (ick)
PS3: just R&C, i just got the system recently
PC...uh...lots of games, currently playing the 2nd add-on to Heroes of Might and Magic 5

The Atheist's Wager "It is better to live your life as if there are no
Gods, and try to make the world a better place for your
being in it. If there is no God, you have lost nothing
and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind.
If there is a benevolent God, He will judge you on your
merits and not just on whether or not you believed in Him."
jcarrey4 said:
I own a PS3, Wii, and a Gamer-level PC, So I am looking forward to, in order:

Spore
Starcraft2
Fallout 3
Little Big Planet
Mario Kart

That being said, I hate FPS's, I never owned a playstation or PS2, so I'm just now learning their games, and traditionally I've been a PC "fanboy."

I also like creative fun games, oh, and I also dislike GTA games, becasue they're GTA games ;)

Anyone have any suggestions for other ones from that list i should try>?

I own for the Wii: wii sports, wii play, SMG, Zelda, and red steel (ick)
PS3: just R&C, i just got the system recently
PC...uh...lots of games, currently playing the 2nd add-on to Heroes of Might and Magic 5

If you have a Wii and Brawl's not on your list, you're insane.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Well some games where missed out , but still its a good list . The big PS3 games are up , and not all games from this list will sell well ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Looks like PS3 and 360 will have a great year. Both appear on more than two thirds of the list.