By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Gay Bar Opening Up Next to Ground Zero Mosque!!!

highwaystar101 said:

It seems kind of tasteless to build a mosque next to ground zero in the first place. I can't really see any self respecting Muslim wanting to go there.

It's two blocks away. As far as Manhattan property goes, that might as well be in another state.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
highwaystar101 said:
The Fury said:
highwaystar101 said:

It seems kind of tasteless to build a mosque next to ground zero in the first place. I can't really see any self respecting Muslim wanting to go there.

Why? Muslims weren't responsible for what happened, crazy idiots were. Maybe they want to pay respect to the many Muslims that died that day too.

On topic, the gay bar thing seems silly and redundent, nigh on all religions don't like gay people, this includes the dominant religion of those watching Fox probably.

I understand that, I guess I may not be able to relate from a theist point of view as I'm an atheist.

But relating to it from an atheist point of view, it would be like me distancing myself from Chairman Mao. We're both atheists, but I don't share his extremist views on religion and I would actively distance myself from him. Even if that meant not overtly discussing my atheism to Chinese people from the Mao generation whose lives would have been negatively affected by the governments lack of tolerance towards religious leaders.

The Muslim Centre is in New York, surely they (ignoring the fact it's apparently their land and have the right to build there as the TV guy has the right to open his bar) have already distanced themselves from those who claim to be part of their faith as much as they can already. Having to keep hush that you are Muslim just because someone was affected by the tragedy seems wrong because it wasn't you who did it. Essentially allowing Islam as a whole to get blamed, not just radical extremists.

(...is that what you were saying? sorry got lost)

Oh no, I'm not asking anyone to keep hush, I just imagine people would want to, almost out of respect. All I'm saying is that if I were a Muslim I would rather go to the mosque down the road as opposed to one where people who associate themselves with my faith caused the deaths of thousands of people.

In my analogy of me in China, I wouldn't appear to reject my atheism if someone were to ask me about it, but I wouldn't want to advertise it either.

Do you get where I'm coming from.

The Fury said:
highwaystar101 said:

Why? Muslims weren't responsible for what happened, crazy idiots were. Maybe they want to pay respect to the many Muslims that died that day too.

But Muslims were responsible for the attacks. You cannot say that everyone whose good is part of the faith and everyone whose bad isn't. You have to take both. Most people don't think all Catholic priests are pedophiles but that doesn't mean that the Catholic priests who are, aren't Catholic. They certainly are. You cannot claim  all the good without people raising the bad as example in response. To paraphrase David Attenborough, "When people tell me about how beautiful the world is and how thats proof of God's existence I have to think about the worm whose evolved to eat the eyes of animals from the inside out." Or something along those lines.

That is of course not to say that all Muslims are terrorists, but certainly many terrorists are Muslim.

sapphi_snake said:
Seece said:

Pretty transparant paragraph there.

It's not possible it's the other way around, you're so quick to call the people behind the mosque as doing it for the right reasons, yet the gay bar is ignorance and introlerance ...

I think me, and most people are on the same wave length. Them opening a mosque ANYWHERE near Groud Zero is disrespectful. They should be understanding in that a lot of locals there lost family members in 9/11 and if they don't want a mosque there they should respect that. They're selish, only thinking of their own needs.

And you know what, the gay bar more than likely is a retaliation, but I say good on them. Might give them a wake up call to get a dose of their own medicine.

FTR you should know that the guy who said he wants to build a gay bar is very homophobic. He's only doing this to make muslims angry.

Greg Gutfeld is very homophobic? I watch Red Eye every night, and this is news to me.

lolz.

i fully support buiding a mosque.  it's stupid people are throwing a fit over this.  however, building a gay bar right next too it...awesome response.  i also support this!

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
The Fury said:

The Muslim Centre is in New York, surely they (ignoring the fact it's apparently their land and have the right to build there as the TV guy has the right to open his bar) have already distanced themselves from those who claim to be part of their faith as much as they can already. Having to keep hush that you are Muslim just because someone was affected by the tragedy seems wrong because it wasn't you who did it. Essentially allowing Islam as a whole to get blamed, not just radical extremists.

(...is that what you were saying? sorry got lost)

Oh no, I'm not asking anyone to keep hush, I just imagine people would want to, almost out of respect. All I'm saying is that if I were a Muslim I would rather go to the mosque down the road as opposed to one where people who associate themselves with my faith caused the deaths of thousands of people.

In my analogy of me in China, I wouldn't appear to reject my atheism if someone were to ask me about it, but I wouldn't want to advertise it either.

Do you get where I'm coming from.

I get you and yes, it's understandable if you choose not to but that mosque may well be your 'one down the road'. It's not just a mosque though, it's a centre for many things. A social centre for New York Muslims. I understand the reasoning you put forward.

Hmm, pie.

When Talibans will be free to express their latent sexual orientation instead of being forced to repress it, they'll stop pouring out their frustration so violently and they'll become nice guys!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

FaRmLaNd said:
The Fury said:
highwaystar101 said:

But Muslims were responsible for the attacks. You cannot say that everyone whose good is part of the faith and everyone whose bad isn't. You have to take both. Most people don't think all Catholic priests are pedophiles but that doesn't mean that the Catholic priests who are, aren't Catholic. They certainly are. You cannot claim  all the good without people raising the bad as example in response. To paraphrase David Attenborough, "When people tell me about how beautiful the world is and how thats proof of God's existence I have to think about the worm whose evolved to eat the eyes of animals from the inside out." Or something along those lines.

That is of course not to say that all Muslims are terrorists, but certainly many terrorists are Muslim.

I'm saying "don't generalise."  There are as many versions of Islam as Christianity. You mentioned Catholic Priests but when talking of that you didn't mention Protestant, Orthodox, Methodist or any other, just Catholic. Just saying Muslims is generalising. 

Most of those in a faith are good people, they follow the teachings that promote peace, love and repsect, and classifying those who aren't good, the terrorists or the Phelps of this world, as that faith is something that should not happen. They certainly do not represent the vast majority.

Hmm, pie.

FaRmLaNd said:
The Fury said:
highwaystar101 said:

Not really, to be a Muslim or Christian you have to follow all the rules of the religion you can't just pick what you want to follow. I'm pretty sure your not allowed to kill anyone or touch little boys in Christianity or Islam. So that would mean those Priests and murderers aren't Christians or Muslims. It's like someone saying they're non-alcoholic but they still drink anyway. That would mean they aren't non-alcoholic.

highwaystar101 said:

That's basically the point, as I'm sure, is the point to build a mosque so close to ground zero in the first place but at least it's being done in a funny way, instead of effigies of mohammed being burned or what have you.  A lot of people are genuinely being pissed off about this because they lost lives as a result of islam gone bad and this seems like a good way to make the muslims be more accepting.  Good for gutfield.