By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Tony Abbott will become Australia's next Prime Minister.

numonex said:

Australia does not need NBN. Australia can not afford the $43 billion cost of NBN for faster internet connections. NBN will just ened up like another Telstra monopoly. A white elephant according to Andrew Robb and his supporters including Tony Abbott and his team. Government's should never be relied upon to deliver projects without big budget cost blow outs. The Australian Navy's Collins Class submarines, built during the 1980's cost Australia billions and are just another white elephant.

NBN will cost 22 million tax payers $2,000 per head to fund. $43 billion does not include interest and possible cost blow outs associated with the NBN project. If Labor could not be trusted to manage Pink Vats and Building Education Revolution. How can Labor be trusted to successfully deliver and manage a $43 billion NBN project?

Upgrading the links between US and Australia for a cost of $2 billion would be a far more cost effective way of increasing the speed of internet connections. Existing telcos such as Telstra, Optus and Vodafone will upgrade services to deliver faster speed internet over time.

It would cost tax payers a lot less under the Coalition's $6.7 billion broadband plan opposed to Labor's expensive $43 billion NBN plan for faster broadband. The  $43 billion for NBN could blow out to $80 billion when interest, budget blow outs and rip offs by government contractors.   

According to your profile, you don't even reside in this country. So why the butthurt? Or are you like one of those evangelists going around the world preaching the ideals of conservatism?

For starters, a bit of education to dampen your ignorance. The majority of Australia's population resides in the capital cities, in particular the largest two. There have been numerous attempts to decentralise the population towards more of the regional areas.

Very few regional areas support decent industry. Most of them rely on agricultural and light commercial business. One reason for this is because of a lack of decent communications infastructure.

Now, this might confuse you, but bear with me. The cost of the major project is classed as an INVESTMENT. In other words, the benefits of a stronger economy and a decentralised population will pay for itself in the long run.

This is the difference between Conservatives and progressives. Conservatives only worry about the costs here and now. Progressives do plan ahead, and usually the benefits are reaped by the time a conservative is in power, which they take full claim for.

Now, your statement shows your obvious ignorance about the flailing disaster that is Telstra, once again thanks to the conservative Howard government. It has been about 10 years since it was floated, and the business has turned into a complete wreck. Costs escalating, line quality degrading and overall completely appalling service. Do you think a copper network of 10 years of negligence will be easy to fix?

And do you honestly believe this degraded company will think about the consumer after giving them the finger after the last 10 years? Hah! Conservative idealism at it's best.

Around the Network
puffy said:
Kantor said:

The Australian election is so similar to the English election, it isn't funny.

Because I am completely uninformed about Australian politics, how long has Labour been in power, and do people like them in general?

3 years.. Labor is 50-50 with the public liking them I'd say.. People do like Julia Gillard more than Tony Abbott (dunno how you could like Tony Abbott unless you'd never heard of him before the election campaign kicked off) which is Labor's major advantage I'd say. 

Labor has started building a fiber optic broadband network, increased health and education funding and put a tax on the mining industry who up until now, haven't really paid anything and have been able to dig up the country. The problem was that it was a 40% tax which they needed to lower, so they got rid of Kevin Rudd so that could be changed (he'd already back flipped on a number of failed policies and really couldn't do it again).

Labor also kept Australia out of recession via economic stimulus which is why there is a debt. The coalition opposed the stimulus and had they been in power, Australia too would have gone into recession. All the people who are complaining about the debt now (who knows why, Labor have committed to getting rid of it by 2013) sure weren't complaining when they were getting there $900 cheques.

Now I'm going to leave this thread because numonex seems to have been brainwashed and it's annoying me.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that I'm voting Greens as they are the ones with the policies I really like. They also support the introduction of an R18 rating for video games which is a great bonus too. 

I might have to enroll after avoiding it for 14 years!!

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Abbott will win the election this Saturday.  Australia wants to return to the good times of Howard/Costello running the country. Abbott with the steady hand of new Treasurer, Joe Hockey, an economic fiscal conservative. Labor's debt will be paid off under a Coalition government and the Budget will be put back into Surplus by 2013. 

Stop the boats. Pay pay Labor's debt. Stop the mining tax. Return the Budget to Surplus by 2013.

Paid parental leave scheme funded by business 1.5% levy up to $75,000 for 6 months.

Cancel NBN. Save $2.4 billion on annual interest. Save $43 billion by selling it off

Climate change is absolute crap. It was cooler now then it was 2000 years ago. 

Thank goodness Howard got kicked out when he did. There is only so much crap the people of Austrlia can take, especially after the disaster that Malcolm Fraser left for Hawke to clean up. Now that era is over and everybody is happy.

The country is moving forward, incurring the lowest debt in the developed world during the GFC, because progressives were in charge. The stimulus was given to the lower/middle class where it would make the most effect, unlike the conservative method of giving stimulus to the banks and the rich, where the "trickle down" fad proves itself to fail over and over again.

The world is slowly shifting to the left as the older generation dies off. It is inevitable.

I know at least one person who's doing it on purpose but the number of people parotting lines from the (on both sides) ridiculous campaign commercials is a little disheartening.

Around the Network

Attention Australian voters: if you want the NBN with no net filter. Vote Green in both houses. First preferences to Labor and put the Coalition last.

Vote Greens in the Senate and Green in the House of Reps with first preferences to Labor. Bob Brown is the best man in Australian politics. I agree with every single thing Bob Brown says in regard to the environment. The best political party for the Environment, Health and Education is the Greens. The Greens oppose the wars and will bring back our troops. 

You can not go wrong with the Greens. They are expected to win a seat in the House of Reps: Melbourne with Adam Brandt. Inner Melbourne is the most modern and cosmopolitan city in Australia. 15% Green vote in the Senate will correspond to 9 or 10 seats in total in the new Senate. 

Bob Brown is an honest politician and he does not have any sleazy back room preferences deal with either of the two main political parties. 

The "Uglies" faction of the Liberals are Nazi sympathisers. It is absolutely appalling that the Liberal Party of Australia have a faction associated with the extreme beliefs of Adolf Hitler. A Nazi war criminal founded the "Uglies" section of the Liberals during the 1940s. The  Liberal Party harboured Nazi war criminals. 

"Uglies" are as fanatical as the British National Party and other various Nazi sympathiser organisations through out the world. The Nazis were responsible for 6 million Jews being killed during World War II. 

I just need to remember to vote this time so I don't get fined... -_-

My website: Precocious Ragamuffin

numonex said:

The "Uglies" faction of the Liberals are Nazi sympathisers. It is absolutely appalling that the Liberal Party of Australia have a faction associated with the extreme beliefs of Adolf Hitler. A Nazi war criminal founded the "Uglies" section of the Liberals during the 1940s. The  Liberal Party harboured Nazi war criminals. 

"Uglies" are as fanatical as the British National Party and other various Nazi sympathiser organisations through out the world. The Nazis were responsible for 6 million Jews being killed during World War II. 

Well its interesting that you say that.

"Currently, no minimum or non-parole period applies to those convicted of people-smuggling, supporting people-smuggling and concealing and harbouring non-citizens.

"The new laws will create minimum sentences, from 12 months to 10 years' jail, for various people-smuggling and harbouring offences." - This includes Australians harbouring illegal immigrants.

More than just a whiff of nazi treatment of normal Australians, seemingly irrelivent of whether you are, or arn't, a "proffessional" assistant for illegal immigrants.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Gonna vote for Labor, enough said. There's way too many things this country needs to improve NOW and for THE FUTURE and the Liberals aren't making offers to that.