By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lady GaGa to release new album with genre defining music

TruckOSaurus said:
thelalaby said:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=15085&id=118289781533641#!/photo.php?pid=182004&id=118289781533641&ref=fbx_album

This is the facebook album with all the outfit comparisons, many of them are for Grace Jones and Roisin Murphy. Some of these pictures are hugely exaggerated I admit, but the majority show how original Lady GaGa really is. What really got me was the bolt thingy on her eye, which was taken directly from David Bowie.

Mr. Leo J the hair bow was done by Paris Hilton before Lady GaGa. Also, Michael Jackson is the most followed person on facebook and not Lady GaGa, and the president of the US is not the president of the world so having more fans than him on facebook doesn't really mean much because millions of people around the world wouldn't care about liking him on facebook. And GaGa is not much ahead of Justin Bieber, just look at all of his videos... they are all watched by MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people, which is absolutely rediculous. I personally find that boy obnoxious and talentless.

Another point is something I've pointed out before, some of her songs are rip offs. "Alejandro" is the biggest example as it's a total STEAL of Ace of Base's "Don't Turn Around" but of course GaGa fans tend to deny it and swear they sound nothing alike, which brings me to my next point; Lady GaGa are pretty much brainwashed. I always offer facts, you know pictures or videos or songs but for some reason none of it really matters one bit to the GaGa fans.

Her music videos, can somebody PLEASE tell me why she & Beyonce killed all those people in the Telephone video? Apparently it doesn't matter because it got nominated for Video Of The Year despite being absolutely retarded, and made no sense AT ALL. And that Alejandro video, what does it mean? I read what Steven Klein said and what the video means, and it was all nice but the video certainly didn't give me that impression, nor did it MEAN anything when I watched it. It felt like GaGa wanted to have soldiers, wanted to have gays, wanted to have a heart and wanted to be religiously-controversal without any of it relating to each other or making any sense. And don't get me started on how much that video resembled MANY of Madonna's videos such as "Like A Prayer", "Vogue", "Justify My Love" and "Erotica" among a couple more.

Just to expand on the Madonna comparison:

The vogue comparison is stupid since KLEIN was the director for the alejandro video, and alejandro is nothing like vogue.. , is it her fault that he directed many MADONNA videos? And sure maybe her "TFM" look resembles madonna in certain ways, , but her other looks do not resemble madonna at all.. look at the picture I posted in the OP..or these:

Madonna, Grace Jones, David Bowie, Micheal Jackson, and Laupner were huge inspirations to her.. but you can't say she blatently copies madonna 100% of the time. when that is completely false..

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
axumblade said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
kooties said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Back to reality....Lady Gaga is nothing more than a gimmick. Period. She wont define any generation and she is definately not on the same level as Kurt Cabain, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, or Jimmy Hendrix (people who actually defined Generations because there music meant something and wasnt just a catchy beat with a digitally enhanced voice) 

typical elitist bullshit.

Not generation defining? She's become one of the most recognized artists of the late noughties and she's only done two albums so far. The era of music is defined by what was the most visible / popular at that time, and not what a minority thought was the best of the era. (Personally Vedder > Cobain)

Also it's really easy to easily to simplify artists to the point of easy dismissal, such as the tired shoegazers, 4 powerchord songs, average vocalists, and simple pentatonic soloists that you just listed. (I don't mean that, I love The Doors and Nirvana, but the way you presented that argument is akin to the typical elitist that listens only to local scene and the 5 bands he heard as a kid.)

You have quite the vivid imagination,lol. First of all what is the late noughties? I though this was the 2010's. Now to address your first statement. What defines an era of music is not always necessarily what gets the most radio airplay or is played on MTV constantly. Brittany spears sold millions of albums, ect, and years later is literally completely forgotten about (because her music meant nothing) It's music with meaning that actually reaches people in that generation that ends up defining it.

How am I being an elitist? I gave a short list of musicians who actually defined generations and I can add more (Thome Yorke,Black Francis, Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, Trent Reznor, Maynard Keenan).Here's also a more  recent list of artists who have more talent in their left finger than Lady Gaga? ( Muse,  Arcade Fire, Avenge Sevenfold, Shinedown, Stone Sour).

My main point was is that she will not define a generation. She brings nothing original to the music scene besides the costume's she wears on stage (her image was manufactured by the record company anyways). There's nothing wrong in listening to catchy pop music but to take an artist like Lady Gaga as serious as Leo J does is rather hilarious. 

Defining a generation doesn't mean that everybody listens to the person. It means they are a major inspiration for what is going on in that time, which is apparent if you look at pop and r&b singers that are coming out now. Whether she is prepackaged or not, it doesn't really matter because "lady gaga" is what is influencing a lot of artists in that particular genre.

Who is she influencing artist wise? I havent really seen anyone copy her image or her sound. I mean it's no where near on the same level as what the Pixes did for the alternative rock scene or what Chuck Berry did for rock music.

really?

rihanna 06:

rihanna 2010:

katy perry 2008:

katy perry 2010:

celebrities before gaga:

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/0/88/49_2007/wedding2007.jpg

celebrties now:

http://photos.posh24.com/p/791424/lst/fashion_disaster/this_weeks_worst_dressed_celebrities_2010-03-14.jpg

everyone in 2009 kept jaw dropping themselves looking at gaga every single "DAY" of her career, she would wear something jaw droppingly interesting, now in 2010 its not just her wearing what she wears.. Other's are starting to catch on to her style, and it's becoming a trend, ever notice the hairbow on every girl today? And all that techno colored clothing today? Guess who started that ..

and guess what?

I rest my case..

Wow your cherry picking is so forced and obvious.  I could find a picture of Lady Gaga wearing regular clothes, and a picture of Grace Jones wearing a crazy outfit 30 years ago, or Peter Gabriel wearing a crazy outfit 40 years ago, and say "Look they ALWAYS dress wacky, and Lady Gaga ALWAYS dresses normal," but it wouldn't be true.  It would just make me a jerk.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
leo-j said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
axumblade said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
kooties said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Back to reality....Lady Gaga is nothing more than a gimmick. Period. She wont define any generation and she is definately not on the same level as Kurt Cabain, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, or Jimmy Hendrix (people who actually defined Generations because there music meant something and wasnt just a catchy beat with a digitally enhanced voice) 

Not generation defining? She's become one of the most recognized artists of the late noughties and she's only done two albums so far. The era of music is defined by what was the most visible / popular at that time, and not what a minority thought was the best of the era. (Personally Vedder > Cobain)

Also it's really easy to easily to simplify artists to the point of easy dismissal, such as the tired shoegazers, 4 powerchord songs, average vocalists, and simple pentatonic soloists that you just listed. (I don't mean that, I love The Doors and Nirvana, but the way you presented that argument is akin to the typical elitist that listens only to local scene and the 5 bands he heard as a kid.)

You have quite the vivid imagination,lol. First of all what is the late noughties? I though this was the 2010's. Now to address your first statement. What defines an era of music is not always necessarily what gets the most radio airplay or is played on MTV constantly. Brittany spears sold millions of albums, ect, and years later is literally completely forgotten about (because her music meant nothing) It's music with meaning that actually reaches people in that generation that ends up defining it.

How am I being an elitist? I gave a short list of musicians who actually defined generations and I can add more (Thome Yorke,Black Francis, Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, Trent Reznor, Maynard Keenan).Here's also a more  recent list of artists who have more talent in their left finger than Lady Gaga? ( Muse,  Arcade Fire, Avenge Sevenfold, Shinedown, Stone Sour).

My main point was is that she will not define a generation. She brings nothing original to the music scene besides the costume's she wears on stage (her image was manufactured by the record company anyways). There's nothing wrong in listening to catchy pop music but to take an artist like Lady Gaga as serious as Leo J does is rather hilarious. 

Defining a generation doesn't mean that everybody listens to the person. It means they are a major inspiration for what is going on in that time, which is apparent if you look at pop and r&b singers that are coming out now. Whether she is prepackaged or not, it doesn't really matter because "lady gaga" is what is influencing a lot of artists in that particular genre.

Who is she influencing artist wise? I havent really seen anyone copy her image or her sound. I mean it's no where near on the same level as what the Pixes did for the alternative rock scene or what Chuck Berry did for rock music.

really?

rihanna 06:

rihanna 2010:

katy perry 2008:

katy perry 2010:

celebrities before gaga:

celebrties now:

http://photos.posh24.com/p/791424/lst/fashion_disaster/this_weeks_worst_dressed_celebrities_2010-03-14.jpg

everyone in 2009 kept jaw dropping themselves looking at gaga every single "DAY" of her career, she would wear something jaw droppingly interesting, now in 2010 its not just her wearing what she wears.. Other's are starting to catch on to her style, and it's becoming a trend, ever notice the hairbow on every girl today? And all that techno colored clothing today? Guess who started that ..

and guess what?

I rest my case..

Wow your cherry picking is so forced and obvious.  I could find a picture of Lady Gaga wearing regular clothes, and a picture of Grace Jones wearing a crazy outfit 30 years ago, or Peter Gabriel wearing a crazy outfit 40 years ago, and say "Look they ALWAYS dress wacky, and Lady Gaga ALWAYS dresses normal," but it wouldn't be true.  It would just make me a jerk.

yep, the same could be said about any other artist out there.. which defeats the purpose of this argument..

mM

Puh-lease

Her songs just aren't inspiring at all, I can't see how it can be an anthem for a generation when the message is shallow.

Besides whenever an artist says somehting like this it almost always doesn't become that good.

And I agree Kamal she is not attractive at all in 99% of her odd outfits.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I wonder if Lady Gaga will "Kanye" the winner of the VMAs if both of her nominated videos lose lol.

But of course probably one of them will win... she is the most marketable singer/personality in a long time, and the VMAs are all about marketing... talent has nothing to do with it.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:

I wonder if Lady Gaga will "Kanye" the winner of the VMAs if both of her nominated videos lose lol.

But of course probably one of them will win... she is the most marketable singer/personality in a long time, and the VMAs are all about marketing... talent has nothing to do with it.

yep, add to the fact she is really talented, the thing is she might not perform since she is performing huge concerts 24/7

mM
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
leo-j said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
axumblade said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
kooties said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

really?

rihanna 06:

rihanna 2010:

katy perry 2008:

katy perry 2010:

celebrities before gaga:

celebrties now:

and guess what?

I rest my case..

First of all your celebrities  now and later comparison was absolutely terrible. An actress with some flower thing on her dress at the oscar's or whatever event that was means that Lady Gag is influencing actors/actress', give me a break.

Second how the hell is Katey Perry copying her in any way shape or form? I dont really call that damning evidence considering how many artists have died their hair colour and the outfit she's wearing in the first picture isn't really out there.

I also find it amusing that you picked a Rihanna picture from 2010 when if you look back to 2008 she was already wearing "out there" outfits on stage.

VMA 2008

Some 2008 performance on ABC

I guess your case is now unrested...

thanks for saying what I wanted to say, rihanna has already gone weird with umberella and disturbia too.

Yes but rihanna has never been an out there type of performer 24/7, disturbia was a theme for her song..

Then again Rated R is a completely differen't side of her. Who knows, all I know is most artists have become a bit more provocative in there performances, and have upped the ante a little bit compared to a generation ago, when it was ok to lip sync.

All for the best

mM
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
perpride said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Wrong. Lady Gaga does define a generation. She defines the digital generation. She is the highest selling digital artist of all time. She is the most liked person on Facebook. She is the most followed person on twitter. And she is the most watched person on Youtube.

Sorry, that's pretty damning evidence.

yeh but every single thing you just said will change within the next 3 years....

@OkeyDokey - and if all of that was around when Brittany spears was at the height of her popularity it would have been the same thing. Look were she is now though. Lady Gaga will have about the same lasting effect and will be forgotten several years from now.

@perpride - Well put!

Um, I fucking HATE Britney Spears but she is a pop culture icon and will never be forgotten. Where is Britney now? Grossing 100 million on tour and still selling millions of albums and getting number 1 hits after the most publicized breakdown in media history.

That comparison does nothing for your argument. Seriously, do your research.

If you paid attention to previous post I did due my research. As I stated her past two albums have shown her complete decline in her affect on pop culture. The black out just moved a little under 1 million copies sold in the U.S and Circus is at 1.5mill sold in the U.S which is terrible in comparison to all of her previous efforts.

Sure she was pretty big in the early 2000's but she literally has become irrelevant. Also if you check this link she actually hasn't had many #1 hits since the breakdown so maybe it's you who should do your homework before making a statement like that :P

http://www.billboard.com/artist/britney-spears/290150#/artist/britney-spears/chart-history/290150

No, you haven't done your research. She's had TWO Billboard Hot 100 number 1's ("Womanizer" and "3") since 2008. She only has one other #1 in her entire career. And if you knew anything about the music industry, you'd know that album sales are WAY down in general. It's a miracle that Gaga's able to sell 10 million albums in a time like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFHOzarT78Q

My thoughts on how her next album will turn out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.