By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Android 3.0 Game Phone.... by SONY

leo-j said:
vlad321 said:

This will not end well at all. If that is the phone at the top that is the biggest piece of shit phone I have ever seen. It has all the negatives of a physical keyboard without any of its amazing pluses. For the phone to actually succeed it iwll have to be an alright phone, so if it is going to be thick it better have a physical KBD otherwise it iwll onyl sell to the gamers and that is no way to be successful. But I am all over Android 3.0, once I get the money for handsets with i.

that's not the phone, and the PSP GO isn't thick in fact it's even thinner than the PSP 3000.

It's something in between a PSP GO and a SAMSUNG smart phone. Remember they came up with the X10, sure it has android 1.6, but it's an amazing phone

Which is still too thick for a cell phone. Remember that we're talking about a phoen here not a gaming platform?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

It sounds like an Android smartphone that happens to play PSP games.  Meh.

I like the idea of a PlayStation Phone, but I'd want it to be a full successor to the PSP (PSP2), and I'd want it to have the PSN/XMB at its core, much like the PSP/PS3.  Any Android features I'd like to be secondary to PS functionality, and I'd want it to continue and improve upon the PSP's functionality and compatability with the PS3.

This just sounds like an X10 with buttons and a section on the Android Marketplace for PSP titles.  No PlayStation Store anymore?

It doesn't feel like a true PlayStation product.

I view this as Sony basically bowing out of the handheld gaming market. It's Google's platform now, Sony is just one amongst many competing hardware vendors.

What's to stop HTC from making an almost identical handset that runs all the same software?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

dallas said:

Yeah, I want to 2nd MUGEN's suggested question.... what kind of performance should we expect from a 1 Ghz Snapdragon processor?

this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuRDAaG9quQ

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

vlad321 said:

This will not end well at all. If that is the phone at the top that is the biggest piece of shit phone I have ever seen. It has all the negatives of a physical keyboard without any of its amazing pluses. For the phone to actually succeed it iwll have to be an alright phone, so if it is going to be thick it better have a physical KBD otherwise it iwll onyl sell to the gamers and that is no way to be successful. But I am all over Android 3.0, once I get the money for handsets with i.

Read the effin article.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

It sounds like an Android smartphone that happens to play PSP games.  Meh.

I like the idea of a PlayStation Phone, but I'd want it to be a full successor to the PSP (PSP2), and I'd want it to have the PSN/XMB at its core, much like the PSP/PS3.  Any Android features I'd like to be secondary to PS functionality, and I'd want it to continue and improve upon the PSP's functionality and compatability with the PS3.

This just sounds like an X10 with buttons and a section on the Android Marketplace for PSP titles.  No PlayStation Store anymore?

It doesn't feel like a true PlayStation product.

You're being way too narrow minded here.

With the new Sony/Google agreement I'm sure there will be a PSN app for android phones. Sony is very smart for creating this agreement as it takes their Playstation brand and greatly multiplies its potential market accross all current and future Android based devices which is quickly becoming a lot more than just phones.

So the PSN and other content that wouldn't be on the higher end home console could sell like crazy on the easier to distribute Android platform.

Also, you must consider that both Sony and Nintendo are not stupid. They realize the impact of the success of the iPhone and the subsequent rise of smartphone use in general on mobile gaming. Nintendo however, is not nor will ever be a distributer of cell phones, so they must focus on experiences and uniqueness that will still keep their handhelds very strong. However, Sony is a producer of all things electronic, so taking advantage of that cross platform capabilities is brilliant. Dropping the PSP line for a PSPhone line is by far the best long term move for Sony and packing that with an already fantastic OS (Android) is another brilliant move that will benefit a great number of their products from TVs, Bluray players, future Playstation devices, and of course phones.

This is the first time Sony has excited me. I almost feel like the headline should have Nintendo in it instead.

M.U.G.E.N said:

HELL YEAH! Hats off to Joeorc, your prediction seems to spot on brotha :D

This is a great move by Sony imho....fingers crossed for a GC reveal

and also did you guys notice another tid bit of rumor mentioned here? Modern Warfare? 0_0 launch title? maybe

Sony Google = GREAT partnership...both companies are always looking to expand

yea with former CEO of Apple now over @ sony, and Sony E happened to take the software stack for Playstation and ADDED to the Android OS..it's a wonder they have kept it quiet for this long..

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

famousringo said:

I view this as Sony basically bowing out of the handheld gaming market. It's Google's platform now, Sony is just one amongst many competing hardware vendors.

What's to stop HTC from making an almost identical handset that runs all the same software?

How is this bad for Sony? They would still make money from the hardware they do produce as well as a potentially exponential growth in PSN and what woudl have been similar to 1st party titles on a PSP on all Android devices.

From a long term growth point of view for Sony's gaming division this is really smart and I would want this phone.

Not to mention, most other hardware vendors wouldn't want to build device with those gaming controls, especially if this device becomes available on all of the carriers.

Severance said:
vlad321 said:

Read the effin article.

Reading it throughly it does indeed sound like it will eb what I thought. " in place of the typical QWERTY keyboard" sounds absolutely terrible for a phone.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Severance said:
vlad321 said:

Read the effin article.

Reading it throughly it does indeed sound like it will eb what I thought. " in place of the typical QWERTY keyboard" sounds absolutely terrible for a phone.

you know the virtual touch screen kb are very capable to type what you need with a screen that large it should do very well

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.