By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Android 3.0 Game Phone.... by SONY

vlad321 said:
Severance said:
vlad321 said:

This will not end well at all. If that is the phone at the top that is the biggest piece of shit phone I have ever seen. It has all the negatives of a physical keyboard without any of its amazing pluses. For the phone to actually succeed it iwll have to be an alright phone, so if it is going to be thick it better have a physical KBD otherwise it iwll onyl sell to the gamers and that is no way to be successful. But I am all over Android 3.0, once I get the money for handsets with i.

Read the effin article.

Reading it throughly it does indeed sound like it will eb what I thought. " in place of the typical QWERTY keyboard" sounds absolutely terrible for a phone.

You're missing the bigger picture. It will not have a physical kb like most slider phones, it will still have an onscreen kb as most touch phones do. So no loss.

Around the Network

Genius move. This will allow them to move to a more a profitable area for their handheld games, require less work on their part so they can refocus on the ps3, and allow them to bow out of a direct fight with the 3DS while still being a big factor in the handheld market. It will also expand the playstation brand in a big way.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Nevermind.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

if this supports all services that would be great...sony is always hanging off at&t's balls

superchunk said:
famousringo said:

I view this as Sony basically bowing out of the handheld gaming market. It's Google's platform now, Sony is just one amongst many competing hardware vendors.

What's to stop HTC from making an almost identical handset that runs all the same software?

How is this bad for Sony? They would still make money from the hardware they do produce as well as a potentially exponential growth in PSN and what woudl have been similar to 1st party titles on a PSP on all Android devices.

From a long term growth point of view for Sony's gaming division this is really smart and I would want this phone.

Not to mention, most other hardware vendors wouldn't want to build device with those gaming controls, especially if this device becomes available on all of the carriers.

This is bad for Sony because, historically, they don't make any money on their gaming hardware. They subsidize the hardware and make money by charging licensing fees to software publishers.

Now pretend you're a publisher with a game that you've made for the PSPhone. Your game is perfectly capable of running on many other Android devices, so why restrict yourself to the revenues from the PSPhone only? You could be selling to an install base that is much, much larger. And if publishers really can persuade the whole Android Market to go for their games, you can bet that HTC, Samsung, and/or Motorola is going to build some competing game-centric hardware.

The console business model relies heavily on exclusivity. Android is about as far from exclusive as you can get.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

hopefully its open to all networks unlike the iphone

lol we only know so little and already so many haters :D GOOD! sign of meltdowns to come

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

superchunk said:
vlad321 said:
Severance said:
vlad321 said:

This will not end well at all. If that is the phone at the top that is the biggest piece of shit phone I have ever seen. It has all the negatives of a physical keyboard without any of its amazing pluses. For the phone to actually succeed it iwll have to be an alright phone, so if it is going to be thick it better have a physical KBD otherwise it iwll onyl sell to the gamers and that is no way to be successful. But I am all over Android 3.0, once I get the money for handsets with i.

Read the effin article.

Reading it throughly it does indeed sound like it will eb what I thought. " in place of the typical QWERTY keyboard" sounds absolutely terrible for a phone.

You're missing the bigger picture. It will not have a physical kb like most slider phones, it will still have an onscreen kb as most touch phones do. So no loss.

I have an Android phone, I know exactly how they work, and no, to have have that it will haev to be thicker, which is pretty bad for a cell phone these days. The good thing about qwerty KBDs is that they are awesome for typing, but the thickness is the downfall. This has the downfall (thickness) and nothing to make up for it (no KBD).

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
superchunk said:
vlad321 said:
Severance said:
vlad321 said:

Read the effin article.

I have an Android phone, I know exactly how they work, and no, to have have that it will haev to be thicker, which is pretty bad for a cell phone these days. The good thing about qwerty KBDs is that they are awesome for typing, but the thickness is the downfall. This has the downfall (thickness) and nothing to make up for it (no KBD).

It has better game controls.... look I myself am pretty sceptical about this device but your just trying to downplay it on a non-issue for most people.

if sony ericsson probably only will be "branded" playstation.

like walkmans (sound quality not in par with walkmans) and cybershots (no carl zeiss on phones)on their handsets.