By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another Analyst Suggests Wii 1.5 On the Way

jarrod said:
Mr Puggsly said:
jarrod said:
Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo said:

Wii will get AAA core games soon: Call of Duty Black Ops, Golden 007...

To be honest, I wouldn't call either AAA.  Black Ops Wii is the B version of the B team game (even though COD is still huge and WOW did amazing, I think the negative press from Infinity Ward is going to start seeping in HD side even), and Goldeneye is essentially a game that's banking on nostalgia.  

Epic Mickey is probably the only real one on the horizon, besides Dragon Quest X (and who knows when that'll turn up).

Games like Black Ops and GE 007 aren't core... but you said Ghost Squad is? You even consider a game like Epic Mickey core?

Man, the word has lost all meaning.

Well, I'd agree historically, I'd also say personally that any console FPS is fundamentally incapable of being a 'core game.  Nowadays 'core' is anything from 'nostalgic' to 'niche' to 'dudebro' though.  It's basically used as anything that's not PopCap, Petz, Kintect ___, Wii ____ or ____ Training.  It's code for 'traditional'.  GTA, Madden, Halo, GT... these weren't core games last gen, but they are now suddenly. :/

Ghost Squad is a last gen lightgunner.  It's more niche than anything, but under today's definitions it's a 'core' game.  Same for HotD.  

Epic Mickey's a 3D platformer.  Same deal here, it's a traditional 'gamey' game, so it's core by default.  The all-ages aesthetic might make some HD dudebros say otherwise though, at least until it gets ported to their system of choice next year. ;)

At least we all know that 3DS will have AAAAAAAAA core games.

The Official 'The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword' Thread (Updated):
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134508&page=1
Around the Network
Viper1 said:
theRepublic said:
jarrod said:

And I'm not saying core games do worse on the HD twins.  I'm saying sales of core games this gen have been self-fulfilling prophecy.  It's the same on HD as on Wii, 3rd parties decided what would sell, then they put that there and built those markets, then it happened.  There were early indications for a healthy core market on Wii (COD3 Wii outsold COD PS3 for example), but the content didn't follow to build that, and now it's a wasteland.  Too late to really change that imo, it is what it is.  3rd parties can now either face an apathetic (and in some cases hostile) Wii marketplace, or go HD where you have to go big to compete and fairly often go broke in the process.

Yes!

Someone gets it!

I'm going to second this nod of concessoin.

Nice summation. Everything that is and everything that is wrong with third parties.

The last time there was this much confusion, Activision was being castigated ... for delivering the same experience on different consoles (for basically offering the lowest common denominator experience to higher-end consoles during the classic era).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
Viper1 said:
theRepublic said:
jarrod said:

And I'm not saying core games do worse on the HD twins.  I'm saying sales of core games this gen have been self-fulfilling prophecy.  It's the same on HD as on Wii, 3rd parties decided what would sell, then they put that there and built those markets, then it happened.  There were early indications for a healthy core market on Wii (COD3 Wii outsold COD PS3 for example), but the content didn't follow to build that, and now it's a wasteland.  Too late to really change that imo, it is what it is.  3rd parties can now either face an apathetic (and in some cases hostile) Wii marketplace, or go HD where you have to go big to compete and fairly often go broke in the process.

Yes!

Someone gets it!

I'm going to second this nod of concessoin.

Nice summation. Everything that is and everything that is wrong with third parties.

The last time there was this much confusion, Activision was being castigated ... for delivering the same experience on different consoles (for basically offering the lowest common denominator experience to higher-end consoles during the classic era).

Mike from Morgantown

I agree, and this seems to be the source of the Wii 2 rumours.  Third parties know they screwed up on the Wii, and screwed up so badly that the easiest thing to do is to just pass on it, and wait for new hardware so they can start fresh.  The longer Nintendo waits on it just makes them looks like idiots, because every day that goes by without a Wii 2, is another day third parties had spent sitting on their behinds NOT trying to change their fortunes with the Wii.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

Nintendo releasing an HD compatible Wii makes about as much sense as the United States Democratic Party funding a 100,000,000 dollar reenactment of Battle of Stalingrad; yeah it seems like a good idea for the Russians, but how does this make benefit Americans?

If Nintendo is releasing an HD compatible system, it will certainly be a brand new system, not an update to an existing one. I would expect the next Nintendo home console is about a year and a couple of months away.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I say they will show it a year after the 3ds is lanch.

Around the Network

They need to bring out a version with better graphics capabilities that will make the hd studios make games for Wii.  Wii came in third worldwide last week and unless they do something soon that's the way it will be or most of the rest of the gen from this point as Japan is deciding they definitely prefer PS3 to Wii.

Who would develop for a Wii 1.5 HD renouncing the Wii user base?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

infamous23 said:

They need to bring out a version with better graphics capabilities that will make the hd studios make games for Wii.  Wii came in third worldwide last week and unless they do something soon that's the way it will be or most of the rest of the gen from this point as Japan is deciding they definitely prefer PS3 to Wii.

Ha ha ha ha ha, even with HD the 3rd party won't make games for wii because for them:

- the audience for their game is not on wii.

- the main controller of the wii is not the same as  the HD consoles.

- they have to compete against Nintendo quality software.

- if the wii is hd, on which console they will do they cheap, quick cash in to finance the budgets of the HD games?

-and so on.

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Nintendo?

jarrod said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Nintendo?

Good answer, but a Wii 1.5, not really a Wii2, would have even more problems than WM Plus or Balance Board to attract 3rd parties, and hardcore 3rd party games are the only one that could really need more HW power this gen (particularly for ports from HD consoles), Nintendo games have no problems to sell like hot cakes. Anyhow my concept of "worrying situation" (I 'm referring to that thread "OK we got to discuss this - Wii/Sales") is that Nintendo has to worry only if winning is not enough and it wants to crush competitors too, but I still predicted in kowenicki's prediction thread that it will be first in december with almost 6M sales... So the concept of "worrying" may vary, IMVHO Nintendo shouldn't worry at all, the only ones that should are those that had wet dreams of it destroying competition.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!