By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Soul Calibur Legends, 58.3% on Game Rankings

windbane said:
DKII said:
Because SCL was developed by the lowest-tier development group available at the company because it's a Wii game.

When is this going to change?

It's changing already, but none of us will see the results of those changes until late '08/early '09.

In the meantime, Nintendo will have to keep us satisfied, along with the occaisional good port or visionary third party.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
"Perhaps the wiimote just didn't offer the tight controls that a controller, like the Gamecube controller, offers"

I am normally the first who has a problem with the Wii but in this case I think the biggest problem is that this game sucks and was created to cash in on the Wii success. The trailers look terrible.

(On the other hand I think it is true for Third-perspective action-games like God of War the standard controller is pretty much perfect and the Wii controller won't be as good.)

That's not true, using the wii remote doesn't mean you NEED to use motion sensing. They can use buttons if they want. If nothing else Zelda Twilight Princess a RELEASE title proves your statement wrong. Twilight Princess is a third person perspective action game, it uses fairly minimal motion sensing(it replaces attack button with a simple swing not really intensive..) it works not only well but GREAT. After using the control scheme going back and playing it on the GC(That's right I'm insane and own both!) felt clunk and unnecessary, especially aiming the bow and such.

"They can use buttons if they want."

of course true, but you don't have as many buttons for the different actions. Also having two analog sticks is a huge advantage (as can be seen by many sucky PSP ports of PS2 games)

This is pretty much what the standard controller is optimized for.

@Girl

And of course you went to Lair cause you lost the argument, typical trolling against PS3... cause you know it is the Lairstation 3, just like the Wii is the Nintendo Chicken Shoot player....

You followed that by saying you don't let reviews tell you if a game is good, then what are you basing your assertion that it is a crappy game on? I'm pretty sure you haven't played the game, right?

Then you followed that by saying 7/10 isn't a good score, but I thought reviews aren't worthy of telling you the quality of a game? Pick one empty argument and stick with it please :)

By the way that RE:UC game you were praising has a 78% average rating, EoJ has a 74%, I doubt there would be such a small difference between a crappy game and a good one.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Kyros said:
"They can use buttons if they want."

of course true, but you don't have as many buttons for the different actions. Also having two analog sticks is a huge advantage (as can be seen by many sucky PSP ports of PS2 games)

This is pretty much what the standard controller is optimized for.

How about this, 1 analog for the movement, second analog is always camera control and in games that use it aim. Why not use the pointer as a replacement for the camera angles? There's your second analog, it's already been used for aiming so that's a non-issue. Z & C replace L 1 & 2 B replaces R1 then you have the Dpad(which is pretty easy to use to map out as seen fit) Hold down + and use pointer for another function. The motion sensing and button combos can replace a decent amount of buttons.

Around the Network

"Why not use the pointer as a replacement for the camera angles?"

You can do many things. But I had a longer playing session with Zelda and in the end the standard controller has all controls (and more) and it is much more relaxed. You have everything in your hand I think its more precise and you can lay back in the couch.

Personally I would say for games with swinging motions (tennis) the Wii controller wins hands down
For FPS I think the results are split, pointing and shooting with Wii motion controls is fun but I am not sure about the duck-hunt atmosphere. (Keyboard+Mouse win hands down of course)
For Action Adventures the standard controller has a distinct edge
Fighting/Arcade games are unplayable with motion controls.

But these are my personal preferences.

Girl Gamer Elite said:

You'll forgive me if I don't consider a 7/10 that terribly good.

Some 7/10 games are great.  7/10 is considered a good score.  I love Link's Crossbow Training, Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Wii Sports, and Wii Play.  I am pretty sure I am going to love Ghost Squad and it was rated in that area. 

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Wait. How can this be a bad game? I thought they included a lot of boobs...

Kyros said:
"Why not use the pointer as a replacement for the camera angles?"

You can do many things. But I had a longer playing session with Zelda and in the end the standard controller has all controls (and more) and it is much more relaxed. You have everything in your hand I think its more precise and you can lay back in the couch.

Personally I would say for games with swinging motions (tennis) the Wii controller wins hands down
For FPS I think the results are split, pointing and shooting with Wii motion controls is fun but I am not sure about the duck-hunt atmosphere. (Keyboard+Mouse win hands down of course)
For Action Adventures the standard controller has a distinct edge
Fighting/Arcade games are unplayable with motion controls.

But these are my personal preferences.

I'll give you your prefrence no problem, I was just pointing out if it's done properly it can be virtually the same. I laid down while playing zelda >.> Metroid it was a bit harder because of the need to aim lol.

As far as mouse and keyboard vs pointer, I prefer the wii remote though the added buttons of a keyboard as definatly useful. Maybe one day we can have Wii-mote + keyboard.

For action games it can go either way they both work fine when implimented properly, unfortunatly developers had largely neglected the Wii and still are cautious that it might be a fad which could destroy a good thing. A self fufilling prophecy of sorts.

For arcade games I dunno I think it could be done well either way they just need to figure it out. The Naruto games do an ok job at it but it could be a lot better. 

"Maybe one day we can have Wii-mote + keyboard."

For me that wouldn't help. I love keyboard/mouse (and working the same way but much more inaccurate with Dual-Analog) because the screen rotates when you move the mouse. Its like looking around and interacting/shooting with what you have centered on the screen/what you are looking at. This is more natural to me than having a cursor which I can move with the Wiimote. Duckhunt vs. FPS. But this is also preference.