By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MP3 would have sold better if it had online play.

BenKenobi88 said:
windbane said:

Why can't it have a better storyline? Why must Nintendo be constantly forgiven for not advancing certain aspects of their games? Online multiplayer, voices, story. Oh well.

Orange Box, UT3, Resistance, CoD4 all had great single player and multiplayer. At least Brawl and Kart will be online finally.

Also, who says UT3's single player is good? It could be pretty basic...I mean, it sounded barebones from the PR himself.

And yeah, Orange Box is 5 games in one...the only multiplayer game in the Orange Box is TF2, unless HL2:DM also comes with the PC Orange Box? I don't think it does...

But anyway, TF2 is a separate game from the other Orange Box games...it's a strictly multiplayer game, just as Portal is strictly single player. Where's the Portal bashing for lack of multiplayer?

Personally, if a game is designed to be a single player game, multiplayer is just a bonus. It'd be nice if Nintendo did more of it, but then the games would also get delayed, and it's not a big enough deal to me...some games are best single player, some are better as multiplayer.

Orange Box is one SKU, you can't buy them seperately on consoles. On the PC, where you can buy them seperately, they are not full priced games. The Orange Box together is a package that contains great single player and multiplayer experiences. Portal has a lot of elements that would be fun in multiplayer, too, heh.

It's not just Nintendo I'm commenting on. I think Ratchet would be a lot better with multiplayer, too, along with many other games.

Around the Network
rickthestick2 said:
I'd like to point out that an online multiplayer Metroid doesn't have to be a typical FPS multiplayer online game. It could be a unique multiplayer experience just like Metroid is a unique singleplayer experience. There are too many possibilties, but loads of unwilling, unimaginative, undaring minds.

Yeah, I agree.  I think when you see Halo 3's (more for it's plethera of online features, The Orange Box's, and even CoD4's packages, you see what a great deal videogames can be.  UT3 and Halo 3 are both expanding what you can do with console FPS games.  UT3 is including mods, Halo 3 has a built-in map editor (not as good as mods ,  but certainly a ton of options that can completely change the gameplay), and Orange Box isn't really fair.

The bigger problem was likely Metroid's marketing as others have said, but I think it would have been easier to market if some sort of solid multiplayer was included.

But like I've said, this is certainly just my opinion and based on my game renting tendacies lately.  I have little motivation to buy most single player games now. 

Yajimari21 said:
Am I the only person who think this? I've hear truly amazing things about this game, but I can't bring myself to buy it due to its lack of any and all multiplayer functionality. If Nintendo had delayed the game a few months to get the WiFi straight, I think MP3 would be in a much better position by this point in its lifespan (not breaking sales records or anything, but still doing considerably better than it is now). Not only could it serve as a direct parallel to and emulation of the great online experience offered by Halo on the box, but the "word of mouth" effect for it would have been much greater as well due to the online (if Nintendo got it right). I'm still not sure if I'll ever get this game, FPS in general aren't my thing, but I definitely would have been seriously tempted if there were WiFi functionality.

"When we release Metroid Prime 3, it will be perfect." - Reggie Fils-Aime

Gamerace said:
Maybe a co-op mode, but not a FPS frag-fest. To me that is soooo overdone. Besides have a great FPS multi-player experience doesn't seem to be helping MoH:Heroes 2 sell any.

Oh, come on. MoH:Heroes 2 is a port of a PSP game that has the same functionality of online FPS games literally a decade ago, except missing key features like the ability to actually communicate with other players whether via voice chat or even just typing into the console. The maps are few and bland, the graphics are pretty pathetic, and the weapons are the same WW II stuff that's been in dozens of games over the last several years.

It doesn't have to be CoD4 or Halo levels of fantastic to be referred to as a "great FPS multi-player experience" but honestly the game is downright mediocre. It is selling bad because people have played that game already, in about 24 different forms prior to this one, and this offers nothing new to the genre at all,     except for the fact that it's the first internet multiplayer FPS on the wii whatsoever.

not really look at hunters it didnt sell alot even with online

Around the Network

They tried it in Metroid Prime 2 & it just didn't work.

Me & my friend played around with that mode for a little while but it had no lasting value. We had fun morph ball fights. (please guys no "The balls are inert" Piccolo memes)

Metroid was always a shooter in the sense that Samus shoot beams from her arm cannon but it's not really about mindless shooting. The enemies to be shot are just nuisances not obstacles and the focus of the gameplay is about trekking, exploring, & mystery solving. The shooting aspect just becomes a means to an end.

I hoped that they was gonna add and improve upon it from MP2 thinking they would include the feature but when it was not included I said it's probably for the best.

1st person perspective has changed people's idea of what the Metroid series is. All Metroid Prime was is Metroid regular in 1st person true-3D format. It feels much like old Metroid except in 3D atmosphere. The annoying confusion when you get lost, the backtracking, trying to figure out how to unlock this or that. The hidden secrets. Nasty bosses. All that.

And because Master Chief resembles Samus Aran (I bet money MC's creators were inspired by Samus design) people have begun to compare it to Halo & other 1st person shooters. But Metroid was never quite a real first person shooter or a shooter in general. It's an exploratory adventure game in 1st person perspective in 3D just like the old Metroids were the same type of game in 3rd person camera perspective in 2D.

Now Contra was a shooter. A platform shooter. That game was about just about hopping from cliff to cliff shooting everything in sight trying not to die. Translating this difficult game or even its concept to 3D in FPS form would be something to watch. But then again should everything be translated? That's the question you have to ask.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said:

They tried it in Metroid Prime 2 & it just didn't work.

Me & my friend played around with that mode for a little while but it had no lasting value. We had fun morph ball fights. (please guys no "The balls are inert" Piccolo memes)

Metroid was always a shooter in the sense that Samus shoot beams from her arm cannon but it's not really about mindless shooting. The enemies to be shot are just nuisances not obstacles and the focus of the gameplay is about trekking, exploring, & mystery solving. The shooting aspect just becomes a means to an end.

I hoped that they was gonna add and improve upon it from MP2 thinking they would include the feature but when it was not included I said it's probably for the best.

1st person perspective has changed people's idea of what the Metroid series is. All Metroid Prime was is Metroid regular in 1st person true-3D format. It feels much like old Metroid except in 3D atmosphere. The annoying confusion when you get lost, the backtracking, trying to figure out how to unlock this or that. The hidden secrets. Nasty bosses. All that.

And because Master Chief resembles Samus Aran (I bet money MC's creators were inspired by Samus design) people have begun to compare it to Halo & other 1st person shooters. But Metroid was never quite a real first person shooter or a shooter in general. It's an exploratory adventure game in 1st person perspective in 3D just like the old Metroids were the same type of game in 3rd person camera perspective in 2D.

Now Contra was a shooter. A platform shooter. That game was about just about hopping from cliff to cliff shooting everything in sight trying not to die. Translating this difficult game or even its concept to 3D in FPS form would be something to watch. But then again should everything be translated? That's the question you have to ask.

John Lucas

The comparison between Metroid and Contra is an excellent one.  Both were traditionally side-scrolling and both had shooter elements. 

For Contra, that was the focus of the game.  You don't need to play for more than 5 minutes to understand how much the core gameplay revolves around that aspect.  For Metroid, the focus is very different.  You'll spend far more time navigating around caverns, solving puzzles, and exploring in general than shooting.  Very different games.

Great comparison.

I don't hear anyone complain about FFXIII not having a multiplayer mode? Why?

gamingdevil said:
I don't hear anyone complain about FFXIII not having a multiplayer mode? Why?

Because JRPGs are seldom enjoyable in groups. Ever tried to play a JRPG in front of friends? They fall asleep. Cutscenes dropped between half hour level grinds of random monster encounters is about as entertaining as watching grass grow. 

We even had trouble with Tales of Symphonia, despite the fact that it had four player combat. During the puzzle sections, one player is pushing blocks around while the other three are bored. It just doesn't work in an RPG setting unless all four players have something to do at all times. 

Metroid Hunters had some damn good multiplayer, so long as you played with friends and not with random people who hacked. Comparing it to a JRPG just doesn't work.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks