By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MP3 would have sold better if it had online play.

Am I the only person who think this? I've hear truly amazing things about this game, but I can't bring myself to buy it due to its lack of any and all multiplayer functionality. If Nintendo had delayed the game a few months to get the WiFi straight, I think MP3 would be in a much better position by this point in its lifespan (not breaking sales records or anything, but still doing considerably better than it is now). Not only could it serve as a direct parallel to and emulation of the great online experience offered by Halo on the box, but the "word of mouth" effect for it would have been much greater as well due to the online (if Nintendo got it right). I'm still not sure if I'll ever get this game, FPS in general aren't my thing, but I definitely would have been seriously tempted if there were WiFi functionality.

J-whorage <333
Around the Network

Yeah, so would Ratchet and Uncharted.  Thems the breaks.  For that matter, Galaxy could use some better multiplayer.  Bioshock seemed to do fine without it, though.

No, sales would have declined because everyone would have been reminded of how Hunters sucked - and exactly why Metroid should never have online play.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

windbane said:
Yeah, so would Ratchet and Uncharted.  Thems the breaks.  For that matter, Galaxy could use some better multiplayer.  Bioshock seemed to do fine without it, though.

I think ICO could be a top ten seller all time if it had some multiplayer support.  It really missed out.

Gotta love people who don't understand was a series is about. :)

tarheel91 said:
windbane said:
Yeah, so would Ratchet and Uncharted. Thems the breaks. For that matter, Galaxy could use some better multiplayer. Bioshock seemed to do fine without it, though.

I think ICO could be a top ten seller all time if it had some multiplayer support. It really missed out.

You said it better than me. There are games that shine only on single player experience. This is like saying that Halo would sell better if developers made a more polished single player only game. 

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network
ItsaMii said:
tarheel91 said:
windbane said:
Yeah, so would Ratchet and Uncharted. Thems the breaks. For that matter, Galaxy could use some better multiplayer. Bioshock seemed to do fine without it, though.

I think ICO could be a top ten seller all time if it had some multiplayer support. It really missed out.

You said it better than me. There are games that shine only on single player experience. This is like saying that Halo would sell better if developers made a more polished single player only game.

Many games could benefit from added multiplayer.  Ratchet tried it but didn't have a complete game to go along with it.  Apparently Metroid did the same thing.  However, instead of giving up why not deliver the complete experience?  CoD4 delivers both.

I just said Bioshock did fine without it.  Galaxy did, too.  However, wants wrong with wanting additional multiplayer content?  After you are done with the game there's little reason to replay Galaxy.  Soem split-screen competitive play would have been nice.

If games are to be innovative, maybe sometimes they need to get out of this box that fanboys force them in by saying "oh well, that game is always only single player so that's all it needs." 

Yeah, its also unfortunate that Mario Galaxy doesn't have an online Capture the Flag mode ...

I don't know, I think Metroid would suck for multiplayer, unless it was many different kinds of hunters going at it, if even then.

I think what bothered me about it was that it was more linear than previous Metroids.

I still enjoyed it a lot, I'm looking forward to my next run through, if nothing else the art style is incredible in that game.

I'll throw in my lot that online multiplayer, or for that matter, any multiplayer at all, would have been nice.
I played MP2 for the gamecube against some friends and it actually got to be kinda fun, but I would have liked if I could have used the wiimote for that as well.
I don't really see how anyone can argue that Multiplayer would have been another selling point for the game, as most of the FPS crowd is currently on the 360, and has come to expect online play from FPS games.

Still, the biggest problem that I saw for Metroid Prime 3 is how it was advertised. that "Wii would like to play" bit is nice for those casual gamer crowds, but Metroid Prime 3 should have targeted the hardcore gamer crowd and basically spelled out "This game is the most immersive FPS ever! Buy it, even if you have to buy a Wii in order to play it"

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

HappySqurriel said:

Yeah, its also unfortunate that Mario Galaxy doesn't have an online Capture the Flag mode ...

Why not?