By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MP3 would have sold better if it had online play.

mancandy said:
Yajimari21 said:

idk about what all of you guys are saying about Metroid being about "puzzle solving," etc. But the advertisements of the combat system that I saw made it look PERFECT for online dueling.

You're right. It probably would have made a good online multi-player, but there are already so many games that have great online components. Why would I want Nintendo to water down the single player game because they had to divert resources to add online functionality?

Online FPS has already been done to DEATH!!! Nintendo doesn't have to waste money on servers when they know you'll probably want to play CS or Halo 3 anyways.

I am a huge fan of Metroid Prime, but you are really reaching at straws here. Nintendo has plenty of excuses for not making MP3 online (e.g., the fact that it's an exploration based game, the fact that the multiplayer wouldn't have time to be polished appropriately, so on and so forth) but "online games have been done to DEATH!!!" is not one of them.

The lack of online gaming is one of Nintendo's greatest weaknesses, and while I do not fault them for leaving multiplayer out of MP3, they most definitely need to be trying to take gamers who are used to Halo3 and CS, and get them interested in playing FPS shooters online via the Wii.

The control scheme is there, the physical capability is there, and it's not like Nintendo has to write them off; once good online shooters are available on the Wii, you will see people come to play them, and that demographic will increase Nintendo's profitability even more.

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
No, sales would have declined because everyone would have been reminded of how Hunters sucked - and exactly why Metroid should never have online play.

I really wonder if people have even played Hunters multiplayer, because I love playing it, and online is fun too.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't.

And the online got raped awhile ago. There's nothing but hackers playing. The last game I played online, someone was shooting 3 Imperialist beams at once and they ricocheted off the walls. And I got headshot'd. While in morphball form.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

The original post talks about the reason for Metroid's lower sales. I think that if they wanted higher sales they should have advertised their game with more than just the Wii smart car guys.

Now I love those ads, but they have their place. And that place is advertising easy to play family and friends based games. Games like Metroid Prime and other more complicated fair should have a their own individual advertising.

And no Yajimari, it's not that type of game.

And Girl Gamer, if you don't agree with someone, point out why. Stop trying to pick fights all the time.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

ClaudeLv250 said:
No, sales would have declined because everyone would have been reminded of how Hunters sucked - and exactly why Metroid should never have online play.

What are you talking about?

Huh?

It is sarcasm?

Online play is the only thing who really miss with Metroid Prime 3...is could be Goty with it...

Wii ware-Fatal Frame 4-Street Fighter 4-Sonic Unleashed-guitare hero 3-Disaster-wii fit-mario kart-Sadness-Games who actually use Wii Board...i dont know but,...it seem big enough for me.By the way,im a proud owner of P.E.S 2008  Wii and it kill all the other soccer game.

My Wii code:3553-1619-3236-0339

my Brawl Code:0860-2912-9428

APolitical said:
mancandy said:
Yajimari21 said:

idk about what all of you guys are saying about Metroid being about "puzzle solving," etc. But the advertisements of the combat system that I saw made it look PERFECT for online dueling.

You're right. It probably would have made a good online multi-player, but there are already so many games that have great online components. Why would I want Nintendo to water down the single player game because they had to divert resources to add online functionality?

Online FPS has already been done to DEATH!!! Nintendo doesn't have to waste money on servers when they know you'll probably want to play CS or Halo 3 anyways.

I am a huge fan of Metroid Prime, but you are really reaching at straws here. Nintendo has plenty of excuses for not making MP3 online (e.g., the fact that it's an exploration based game, the fact that the multiplayer wouldn't have time to be polished appropriately, so on and so forth) but "online games have been done to DEATH!!!" is not one of them.

The lack of online gaming is one of Nintendo's greatest weaknesses, and while I do not fault them for leaving multiplayer out of MP3, they most definitely need to be trying to take gamers who are used to Halo3 and CS, and get them interested in playing FPS shooters online via the Wii.

The control scheme is there, the physical capability is there, and it's not like Nintendo has to write them off; once good online shooters are available on the Wii, you will see people come to play them, and that demographic will increase Nintendo's profitability even more.

This is where 3rd parties just need to step up and make a game with the wii in mind.  It's not nintendo's style to make a FPS, but I think there is an audience there that is begging for an online FPS that really takes advantage of the wii-mote.  I guess right now we just got MOH.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Medal of honor Heroes 2 for Wii is awesome online...really!

Wii ware-Fatal Frame 4-Street Fighter 4-Sonic Unleashed-guitare hero 3-Disaster-wii fit-mario kart-Sadness-Games who actually use Wii Board...i dont know but,...it seem big enough for me.By the way,im a proud owner of P.E.S 2008  Wii and it kill all the other soccer game.

My Wii code:3553-1619-3236-0339

my Brawl Code:0860-2912-9428

johnsobas said:
APolitical said:
mancandy said:
Yajimari21 said:

This is where 3rd parties just need to step up and make a game with the wii in mind. It's not nintendo's style to make a FPS, but I think there is an audience there that is begging for an online FPS that really takes advantage of the wii-mote. I guess right now we just got MOH.

I agree 100%, except that I think MOH seriously sucks. It is a pretty obvious port from an under powered system, and frankly the gameplay is identical to Medal of Honor: Allied Assault from like 1998. Yea, it controls fine, but the gameplay itself is very dull. I hope to see much better stuff in the future; MOH:H2 is by no means a "Halo Killer", or even in the same universe as it or any other competent multiplayer FPS developed in the last 4 years.

The online play is definitely "there" but that's really all I can say about it.  Very glad it was only a rental.

Metroid is all about feeling isolated and alone against the enemy, that doesn't really fit with multiplayer

windbane said:
BlueVette said:
Why in the world would an excellent game like MP3, a final part of an incredible trilogy, need online multiplayer support? That has nothing to do with the game. Suddenly, at the end of the series, deviate to a frag-fest ?? Maybe it if was called "Metroid Hunters Wii" I'd except that. But, MP3 is not geared towards an all out "Arena" style game.. it is an exploration, puzzle solving, and shooting game. It stands on its own merits and Nintendo did a 100% completely awesome job on it. Shouldn't have changed a thing.. (well, MORE would be good.. MP4 would be welcomed) Sorta like wishing Mario Galaxy had FPS elements to it, or that it had a deep story line... just doesn't make sense because it isn't that sort of game.

Why can't it have a better storyline? Why must Nintendo be constantly forgiven for not advancing certain aspects of their games? Online multiplayer, voices, story. Oh well.

Online multiplayer is something I tend to like (although not in all games), but Story and voices? Nintendo isn't advancing those things on purpose. If you've read the recent interview with Koizumi (director of Galaxy), you'll find that Miyamato directly and specifically tries to suppress storytelling.

And that's one of the main reasons I personally love Nintendo so much. Not only do I forgive them for not advancing storytelling/voices, I specifically thank them for not doing so. I hate story in games. Video games are, in my opinion, a terrible medium for story telling, and I don't personally think there is much future there beyond otaku-dom. My question is: why is Sony so set on story driven gaming? It's in direct opposition to what I like. 

But that's just a personal thing, and you're welcome to disagree. I only highlighted it to make my real point, and the real point is: story isn't necessarily a good thing. Preferring story in games is just that -- a preferrence. Lacking story isn't a weakness, it's a design decision you don't happen to prefer. Just as I don't like RPGs, you're welcome to not like RTS, or whatever your personal tastes are.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

APolitical said:
mancandy said:
Yajimari21 said:

You are talking to a guy who's been playing online FPS since Doom II (1995). So let me repeat, it's been done to DEATH. To tell you the truth, MP3 was kind of boring.

I said that because Nintendo knows they already have superior competition. Why waste their resources in a market that is flooded with better options?

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078