By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP Was Konami's Big Platform For the First Quarter!

Portable accounts for 40% of game sales thanks in large part to Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker.

Peace Walker helped Konami's earnings triple for the quarter.

Konami's supplemental earnings reports have a unique take on the word "genre." The company always issues breakdowns of game sales into such "genres" as "soccer," "baseball," "anime," "music," and "Metal Gear."

For this year's first quarter, covering April to June, the Metal Gear category saw a huge boost thanks, of course, to Peace Walker's release. In last year's first quarter, Konami sold 160,000 Metal Gear games. This year, that number leaped to 1.27 million.

Konami sold 4.62 million pieces of software over the first quarter, up from the 2.96 million of the same period last year. This breaks down as (last year's sales in parentheses):

• Soccer: 1.36 million (last year: 0.86 million)
  • Baseball: 0.25 million (0.24 million)
  • Anime 0.30 million (0.30 million)
  • Music: 0.21 million (0.16 million)
  • Metal Gear: 1.27 million (0.16 million)
  • Other: 1.24 million (1.25 million)

Japan was Konami's biggest territory for the quarter, accounting for 2.44 million pieces of software. Europe came second with 1.08 million, with North America in third with 1.02 million.

During the first quarter last year, Wii was Konami's biggest platform, accounting for 28% of software sales. This year, Wii fell to 12%. PSP jumped from last year's 20% to 40%. PS3 also saw a gain, from 13% to 17%.

Platform-by-platform software sales breakdown. Last year's first quarter is at top. This year's first quarter is below.

Konami's supplemental report also includes an updated release list. Highlights include Castlevania Lords of Shadows, set for global release this Fall, and Metal Gear Arcade, set to begin domestic operation this Winter.

You can see more details on Konami's quarterly earnings report at the company's investors relation page. (Note: as of this writing, English versions of the press releases and reports are not available).

Source andriasang

Around the Network

Lol @ Metal Gear being its own genre.

.....or do they mean they sold 1 million Actual Metal Gears ? O_o;

we.are.very.doomed.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Nice to know that PSP can still move substantial software and yes Severance I think were all doomed

My article is up too on the sales front page...

Amazingly, one out of every five PSP games shipped worldwide (1.81m / 9.20m) was from Konami in the June 2010 quarter.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Only 1.27m at most for Peace Walker?  That means it's shipped under 500k in America and Europe combined?   lol, gonna be a long road to 3 million...

Around the Network

I don't know if that's good for Konami or bad for the PSP (sales wise). Either way, Konami needs something. The value of the company has been steadily declining for a long time.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

jarrod said:

Only 1.27m at most for Peace Walker?  That means it's shipped under 500k in America and Europe combined?   lol, gonna be a long road to 3 million...

lol, consider your anti-PSP bias exposed.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
jarrod said:

Just now?  Where have you been?

Also, where have you been?  We missed you!

Konami made good money out of the PSP it seems

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

jarrod said:
darthdevidem01 said:
jarrod said:

Just now?  Where have you been?

Also, where have you been?  We missed you!

lol on holiday, I came back a few days ago!

Quick we need to have an argument on Japan sales or it just won't feel normal!! lol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey