By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ps move set to outsell kinect

DirtyP2002 said:

Kinect will outsell move. Easily. Very easily. Even if you consider, that you have to buy more move controllers to play multiplayer and just one kinect.

And the Nowgamer survey was based on 100 people. 100 people (!!!) are not enough to make an educated decision.

actually, that maybe a reason for move to outsell kinect :p. since u have to buy more controllers.

also kinect only works with 2 people.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
welshbloke said:

I fully expect augmented games to come out down the road that will make the most of controller and kinect this will be were the 360 hardcore can engage with Kinect. Leaning, Talking and even feedback based on facial expression it will all come eventually.

Is Microsoft still working on Milo?

OT: I think MOVE will outsell because Kinect because

• Lower initial price. The lowest price for Kinect is $150, while the lowest price for MOVE is $49/$99 depending on if you have the EYE or not. This will be important for people not quite sure if they want to adopt motion controls
  • Appeals to existing PS3 owners, Kinect doesn't appeal to existing 360 owners.
  • Kinect will have to compete with cheaper, family-friendly, and well- established wii. For a casual gamer, the 360/Kinect bundle is more expensive and more hardcore purchase. 
  • MOVE has more 1st party support. 
  • There have been many claims of limits/malfunctions of Kinect. No sitting, much distance needed, etc. Microsoft may or may not get rid of these problems, but it should be noted. However it's the opposite for MOVE. You mainly hear good news for MOVE.
  • MOVE is easier to implement into existing established games. This may not be a reason to really want move. But, for someone who already owns LBP 2, Resident Evil 5, Killzone 3, etc. They already have a game to try MOVE with.
You could argue that Kinect will have more advertising, but I would say that word of mouth will be just as impactful. 

Yes to Milo, in fact Peter got quiet the hump when it was suggested that it was not and the statement was clarified.

I think the issues have been given a lot of bad press in very small circles in the wider circles they are making every effort to get that word of mouth going. Also I think it is worth noting that not all 360 owners are hardcore but it is fair to say they represent probably the majority demographic as they probably do with the PS3.

I actually think the Wii helps Kinect. I think a lot of them will be looking for something new, Nintendo are not going to give it to them this holiday so it will be Move or Kinect and Kinect has the edge here.

Obviously you know the price argument. Obviously the headline favours the Move the bean counter may talk higher potential total cost of ownership but no getting away fromt he fact that Move certainly appears cheaper.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Xoj said:

Picking holes a little I know but that is 2 per kinect device you can play against other connect users online so the limit is not necessarily 2.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
welshbloke said:
Xoj said:

Picking holes a little I know but that is 2 per kinect device you can play against other connect users online so the limit is not necessarily 2.

That doesn't mean that it's limited to 2 people. I'm sure there will be many games that have you taking turns.

I'm not a MS fan, but I'm persuaded that if debugged carefully and if exploited with original games made to run on it better than on anything else, Kinect could sell in the order of magnitude of Balance Board. But from what MS showed up until now, I see a wasted opportunity. Sure, MS can get things straight later, but time is already running out.

For Move is too early to say anything for sure, we must see how big is actually the market both Nintendo and MS are overlooking. Obviously Sony will try to get a small casual slice too, just to help it.

Overall I think a moderate success is possible for both, with greater opportunities if they try really hard.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:

Ok so I have said it many times before 'imo'

Kinect will be HEAVILY front loaded....then it will die off pretty fast

Move will start steady and keep growing and eventually pass Kinects line up

One of the reasons I think this is because imo the types of games Kienct will be able to do (well) are very limited..UNLESS ms introdeces peripherals to go with it which would be like eating their own words

Move on the other hand is not limited and I honestly see the line up only getting better from now on...

Ps3 back in 2006 was supossed to pass Wii(a gimmick that was heavily fronted and would die in 2 years).

Unfortunately most consumers don't have the same preferences as we.

DirtyP2002 said:

Kinect will outsell move. Easily. Very easily. Even if you consider, that you have to buy more move controllers to play multiplayer and just one kinect.

And the Nowgamer survey was based on 100 people. 100 people (!!!) are not enough to make an educated decision.

Lol....then Kinect will outsell what the Wii has done as well, because you have to buy multiple Wii remotes for multiplayer too, right?

This logic is getting old. I guess the old 360s were more expensive than the PS3 since you had to get Live to play online, had to get $100 adapter for wireless, HD-DVD drive for hi def movies, etc....

move aint gonna outsell  natal kinect

natal connect is number 75 on UK amazon and move isnt even in the top 200

end of discussion. natal kinect for the win!

babyseals will die because of this thread...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Jay520 said:
welshbloke said:
Jay520 said:
welshbloke said:
Jay520 said:

Just a heads up for some of you. You can't just post why Game A will outsell Game B. You have to explain your views

• Kinect is targetting casuals, an as yet barely tapped market for the 360.
  • Kinect is not limited to controlling games it will also be used for video conferencing, menu control, voice control as well as augmenting other games. Why people insist that just because Microsoft have a tag line that they will somehow not utilise the Kinects features to the fullest is beyond me.
  • Lastly massive coverage. They really are going for it with the try before you buy shows all over the US/UK (Probably mainland Europe as well) and massive advertising coverage. Advertising sells dontcha know.

Wouldn't that make it harder for Kinect to sell if current 360 owners are uninterested. 

I fully expect augmented games to come out down the road that will make the most of controller and kinect this will be were the 360 hardcore can engage with Kinect. Leaning, Talking and even feedback based on facial expression it will all come eventually.

Is Microsoft still working on Milo?

OT: I think MOVE will outsell because Kinect because

• Lower initial price. The lowest price for Kinect is $150, while the lowest price for MOVE is $49/$99 depending on if you have the EYE or not. This will be important for people not quite sure if they want to adopt motion controls
  • Appeals to existing PS3 owners, Kinect doesn't appeal to existing 360 owners.
  • Kinect will have to compete with cheaper, family-friendly, and well- established wii. For a casual gamer, the 360/Kinect bundle is more expensive and more hardcore purchase. 
  • MOVE has more 1st party support. 
  • There have been many claims of limits/malfunctions of Kinect. No sitting, much distance needed, etc. Microsoft may or may not get rid of these problems, but it should be noted. However it's the opposite for MOVE. You mainly hear good news for MOVE.
  • MOVE is easier to implement into existing established games. This may not be a reason to really want move. But, for someone who already owns LBP 2, Resident Evil 5, Killzone 3, etc. They already have a game to try MOVE with.
You could argue that Kinect will have more advertising, but I would say that word of mouth will be just as impactful. 

Definitely agree with this.  And word of mouth is going ot be the biggest impact for both.  If the Wii promised accurate motion controls, and delivered a buggy, barely working setup, it would have failed regardless of hype or advertising.  This is why MS is going to need to step up the Kinect experience by a hundred-fold of what its been showing recently.  They may get quite a few initial buyers, but if the experience is very limited and not very accurate (both things are looking like the case), then bad word of mouth will crush sales, no matter how crazy huge the hype MS can garner for Kinect. 

I think Sony has a much better chance of success for Move.  Not only have they proved it to be accurate, but have also shown its support for hardcore games.  So even if Move doesn't draw in many new customers, it can still be a huge success among current owners.  Kinect, on the flip side, is mostly aiming at potential new 360 owners.  But, with an already successful and popular (and cheaper) Wii, I see most who are interested in casual gaming will invest in the Wii.