By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3 reasons why to NOT buy a new 3DTV for gaming.

disolitude said:
naznatips said:

I've never even owned a 1080p TV yet, so I'm not exactly rushing out to get a 3D TV heh. I've been gaming on a 32" LCD 720p. Mind you, my PC monitor is 1440 X 900 and my GPU plays modern games quite well, so that's not the highest resolution I've played games in.

The thing is, when you are gaming in standard 2D...as long as it looks nice (720p on a 32 inch is plenty nice) its mostly about game play.

But 3D gaming is all about visuals. Sure the gameplay matters too, but you want to be blown away with clarity and 3D visuals. Thats why you have those stupid glasses on and why you look like Stevie Wonder... :)

So yeah, I'd like to get 1080p 3D gaming resolution if I'm spending 3000 dollars. Not to mention when my 22 inch Viewsonic 3D montior is already giving me 1680x1050 resoltion and my 2 year old DLP is giving me 1080i.

I played a lot of 3D at E3 (it was everywhere) including Crysis 2, DiRT 2, saw KZ3 running, played everything at the 3DS booth, etc. The 3DS was still the most impressive for me, despite the low resolution, but that's mostly due to the lack of bulky glasses and no image distortion/color loss. I understand your point, about wanting the best out of your visuals when you're paying that much. Frankly I won't play games on DLP because I don't like the way the picture looks, though I don't mind watching movies on them. 

As for the games themselves, I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be disappointed with the first wave of offerings. Game developers haven't mastered 3D the way movie developers have, and many of them are still throwing crap at the screen and other cheesy crap they used to do in the 90s to impress people in IMAX theaters. This is an issue on both consoles and 3DS. You'll see it less in the two headliners: Crysis 2 and Killzone 3, and some of the 3DS games did it right, but I can tell you that you're going to need to switch off the 3D in Resident Evil 3DS if you don't want your eyes to bleed within 15 minutes. 

Around the Network
disolitude said:
pbroy said:

So why not get a Panasonic?

Same problems as samsung TVs...

At least it will look less shitty and have less crosstalk.. ~_n

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I'll give you one - price.

I dunno why people won't wait a year or 2, and save themselves a stupid amount of money in the process .. enough for a weekend holiday at the least ..

Why do people need new expensive tech now now NOW!

Well, I know I won't be buying a 3DTV until after the summer of 2011 at the least, but I'll probably wait longer to see if they get more if the issues solved. Getting this one solved would certainly be nice.

This is a very good read on why 3D (1080p@24h w/o framepacking or 1080p@>24 w framepacking) works on the PS3 (that has HDMI 1.3 not 1.4)

"For a device to be rated as HDMI 1.4 requires it support a framepacked (two frames and meta data)  1080P and 720P signal.  The TV takes the two frames and displays them at 120Hz (or faster) so with framepacking from the source you have two sequential frames in the time it takes for one 60Hz frame.  The shutter glasses alternate turning (on-off) (off-on) at this rate (120Hz).  This results in very little flicker and with good glasses almost no reduction in brightness or contrast.  The framepacking method can vary. A device can support some of the HDMI 1.4 required standards but can not call itself compliant.  Framepacked= two 3D (both eyes views) frames are packed into the timing window of 1 2-D frame (24-60Hz)."

"The HDMI 1.4 source device outputs a 60Hz or less video signal.  When 3-D is active the framebuffer in the PS3 doubles in size and two frames are packed into, (timing) at double the transfer rate, the timing window that represents the 60-24 Hz frame rate associated with TV.   The HDMI 1.4 TV recognizes this and pulls the two frames out of this "window" and displays the two frames alternately at 120Hz resulting in two 60 HZ (right and left) images for 3-D appearing to occur simultaneously because of persistence in the eye.  The double 1080P resolution also supported by HDMI 1.4 is possible because the frame buffers in a HDMI 1.4 device have to be twice as large for 3-D so why not make these buffers available for double res if you are not doing 3-D. "

Oh well.  I will be enjoying playing everything on my Mitsu DLP anyway (3D and all), just waiting for them to finally offer the damn bundle w/glasses.

Around the Network

when do we start defining HD as 1080P??? Does that mean most HD console games are no longer HD??? Does that mean we need to stop calling PS360 "HD console"??

As far as I am concerned, 720P is HD and for 3D, that is absolutely fine by me.

People can always wait for better technology, but if that is the case, nobody will be buying anything today.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
naznatips said:
disolitude said:
naznatips said:

I've never even owned a 1080p TV yet, so I'm not exactly rushing out to get a 3D TV heh. I've been gaming on a 32" LCD 720p. Mind you, my PC monitor is 1440 X 900 and my GPU plays modern games quite well, so that's not the highest resolution I've played games in.

The thing is, when you are gaming in standard 2D...as long as it looks nice (720p on a 32 inch is plenty nice) its mostly about game play.

But 3D gaming is all about visuals. Sure the gameplay matters too, but you want to be blown away with clarity and 3D visuals. Thats why you have those stupid glasses on and why you look like Stevie Wonder... :)

So yeah, I'd like to get 1080p 3D gaming resolution if I'm spending 3000 dollars. Not to mention when my 22 inch Viewsonic 3D montior is already giving me 1680x1050 resoltion and my 2 year old DLP is giving me 1080i.

I played a lot of 3D at E3 (it was everywhere) including Crysis 2, DiRT 2, saw KZ3 running, played everything at the 3DS booth, etc. The 3DS was still the most impressive for me, despite the low resolution, but that's mostly due to the lack of bulky glasses and no image distortion/color loss. I understand your point, about wanting the best out of your visuals when you're paying that much. Frankly I won't play games on DLP because I don't like the way the picture looks, though I don't mind watching movies on them. 

As for the games themselves, I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be disappointed with the first wave of offerings. Game developers haven't mastered 3D the way movie developers have, and many of them are still throwing crap at the screen and other cheesy crap they used to do in the 90s to impress people in IMAX theaters. This is an issue on both consoles and 3DS. You'll see it less in the two headliners: Crysis 2 and Killzone 3, and some of the 3DS games did it right, but I can tell you that you're going to need to switch off the 3D in Resident Evil 3DS if you don't want your eyes to bleed within 15 minutes. 

But you were impressed by KZ3 and Crisis 2 werent u?

Btw, did u play Resi on the 3DS there? I didnt even know such a game announced.

shuraiya said:

I'm pretty sure my Bravia accepts 1080p 3D at 120hz.

I am pretty sure it doesn't...don't even need to know what model you have as none of the TVs accept 120 hz signal, It accepts 1080p @ 60 hz when the format is side to side (hence cutting the resolution in half)

And it accepts full 1080p resolution in a frame packing at 24 frames per eye.

Yes the sreen works at 120 hz, but the input signal can't be anything higher than 60. 

Bottom line  - unless its bluray, you can't do 1080p 3D on these 3D TVs.

Netyaroze said:

@Disolitude

I was thinking maybe I buy this new 27 inch Asus 3D Screen before I buy a real 3D TV.

But its impossible to use it with the PS3 isnt it ?

Correct. These are only for the PC. You can do bluray on them only using PC and gaming is PC only...

If you want a great TV that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and does PS3 3D, take a note from Ssenkahdavic above and get a mitsubishi DLP.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mitsubishi - Home Cinema / 60" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / 3D DLP HDTV/9966999.p?id=1218202944577&skuId=9966999&st=mitsubishi dlp&cp=1&lp=1 

$899...

You need a 100 dollar adapter to make it work with PS3 and bluray and youre laughing at everyone buying these new expensive 3D TVs. The quality on these DLPs is better than anything I saw other than a 4000 dollar Panasonic plasma.

Adapter you need

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mitsubishi - 3D Adapter for Select Mitsubishi 3D and 3D-Ready TVs/1102526.p?id=1218220737486&skuId=1102526&st=mitsubishi adapter&cp=1&lp=2

Buying a current 3DTV is about the same as buying an 'HD ready' LCD or Plasma as an early adopter. Except in this case you're 3D ready and not HD ready. It wouldn't kill anyone if they had to wait another year for the mature sets to come out at lower margins with better technology for a cheaper price. At the moment its the question of being gouged on price for inferior technology or waiting 12 months, 12 months where you'll have very little 3D content to watch. Why not get the TV which is capable of doing 3D properly for this generation and next generation consoles which will be considerably more powerful and built to display 3D content natively and efficiently.