By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3 reasons why to NOT buy a new 3DTV for gaming.

well didn't think i needed 3 reasons to not buy something i can't afford but good to know

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Dam, I really wanted the 46 inch Samsung 3DTV!

But maybe it's mature when new models come out next year?

As for the 24 fps Blue ray input at 1080p I think that sounds awkward since 24fps is not enuff to provide a satysfying 3D-picture. I fought Bluray in 3D was 48 fps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p

1080p@24p per eye. Yes 48 fps overall video processing but you are seeing a 3D image at 1080p24p for bluray.

Its pretty sad that my 2 year old 3D samsung DLP can take a 1080p 3D signal at 60 hz. Sure, I am getting only 1080i per eye in checkerboard pattern...but even that looks better than straight up 720p 3D which these TVs displayfor gaming.

irstupid said:

well didn't think i needed 3 reasons to not buy something i can't afford but good to know

Indeed, but some people can afford them...and buying them now is just flushing money away.

Even if you are ok at 720p gaming in 3D, in 6 months when actual worthwhile content is avaiable and they work with PCs they will prolly be a few 100 dolalrs cheaper as well.

@slimebeast

http://3dvision-blog.com/hdmi-1-4a-specifications-with-updated-stereoscopic-3d-support/

Here are basic specs of what the new TVs support and output.

Ok... so basically I wait till killzone 3 is released.

Other points are... meh...

1. 1080p... not so many games run in native 1080p anyway... but yea, ok, not so future proof... nothing is.

2. Content will come as soon as 3D movies from the theaters will come to blurays... And yes, I'll wait till killzone 3

3. Nvidia what? who cares? 1/5000? It still can show the content from my comp in 2D? fine.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Snesboy said:

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like no 3DTV for me until at least 2015.

Thats a good plan I think.

For now, anyone remotely interested in 3D should spend 400 bucks boosting their computer with better video card, bluray drive and possibly new CPU. And then spending another 500 in buying Nvidia 3D vision and Samsung 2233RZ 3D monitor or the ATi prefered setup (Zalman monitor and IZ3D drivers).

It does 3D bluray, plays 100s of PC games in great 3D, emulates wii and dreamcast games in HD 3D, lets you watch google earth in 3D, youtube 3D, lets you create 3D pictures...etc

The only thing you can't do with this setup is PS3 3D gaming because sony is locking out everything but the new 3D TVs (xbox 360 3D gaming works tho). But there are bound to be workarounds in place. In fact, few people are reporting interesting results using a PC, HDMI capture card and an HDMI detective when it comes to PS3 gaming... :)

You quoted me! I love you. :)

I've never even owned a 1080p TV yet, so I'm not exactly rushing out to get a 3D TV heh. I've been gaming on a 32" LCD 720p. Mind you, my PC monitor is 1440 X 900 and my GPU plays modern games quite well, so that's not the highest resolution I've played games in.

Bokal said:

Ok... so basically I wait till killzone 3 is released.

Other points are... meh...

1. 1080p... not so many games run in native 1080p anyway... but yea, ok, not so future proof... nothing is.

2. Content will come as soon as 3D movies from the theaters will come to blurays... And yes, I'll wait till killzone 3

3. Nvidia what? who cares? 1/5000? It still can show the content from my comp in 2D? fine.

lol, killzone 3 solves all. Very uneducated post. -1

1. 1080p on consoles is a challenge. However 100s of PC games are playable at 1080p in 3D already. Games like Metro 2033, Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, GTA4, Battlefield BC2, Batman: Arkham asylum all look mindblowing at 1080p 3D. The new 3000 dollar TV can not play them at this resolution while 2 year old 300 dollar 22 inch monitors can. Thats pretty sad if you ask me...

2. Content thats out now which works with these TVs is mediocre at best, in 3D quality and content quality. It will take a good timeframe to get many things worth watching or playing. Why not wait and buy the TVs for less money...

3. Nvidia has beein doing 3D strereoscopic gaming since 1997 if I remember correctly. Thats a shitload of games you can play in 3D. Also by having 3D work on your PC you can enjoy 100s of user made 3D videos, youtube 3D, pictures and cool things like google earth in 3D. This alone is the only reason one should buy a 3D TV at the moment.

naznatips said:

I've never even owned a 1080p TV yet, so I'm not exactly rushing out to get a 3D TV heh. I've been gaming on a 32" LCD 720p. Mind you, my PC monitor is 1440 X 900 and my GPU plays modern games quite well, so that's not the highest resolution I've played games in.

The thing is, when you are gaming in standard 2D...as long as it looks nice (720p on a 32 inch is plenty nice) its mostly about game play.

But 3D gaming is all about visuals. Sure the gameplay matters too, but you want to be blown away with clarity and 3D visuals. Thats why you have those stupid glasses on and why you look like Stevie Wonder... :)

So yeah, I'd like to get 1080p 3D gaming resolution if I'm spending 3000 dollars. Not to mention when my 22 inch Viewsonic 3D montior is already giving me 1680x1050 resoltion and my 2 year old DLP is giving me 1080i.

It's shocking this slow fps thing because I thought that was the main thing for these 3D-TVs - to produce a high fps in contrast to regular flat screen TVs.