By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3 reasons why to NOT buy a new 3DTV for gaming.

kingofwale said:

when do we start defining HD as 1080P??? Does that mean most HD console games are no longer HD??? Does that mean we need to stop calling PS360 "HD console"??

As far as I am concerned, 720P is HD and for 3D, that is absolutely fine by me.

People can always wait for better technology, but if that is the case, nobody will be buying anything today.

I'm sorry but when new technology has no significant improvements on older 2 year old tech, and costs 3X as much, I see that as a pretty big fail

See this post for what I mean - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3546511

I agree that there are gamers which will find 720p enough that will buy these TVs. They will play the few PS3 games available in 3D and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that.

But for the people that don't have money to burm and want the best bang for their buck, or people that have been doing 3D gaming for years... these TVs are not suitable for them.

Even if you are not in to PC gaming...once PS4 comes out and announces full backwards compatibility of PS3 3D games, in 1080p, you'd be pissed that your TV can't do it.

If one wants to game in 720p, this is what they should aquire, or a mitsubishi DLP described above - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/acer-introduces-h5360-and-x1261-3d-projectors-starting-at-579/12796

Around the Network

I wish I had the money to script this and make a commercial about it. Opinion is, 3DTVs suck now, and they will suck for the forseeable future. One day, they may be good, but right now, they suck. They cost too much and perform too little. They will be truely obsolete in a year or two, so avoid like plague imo.

I can't ever see watching a good movie in 3D anwyay. Would "In the Bedroom" need 3D, lol? If you want to watch some shitty action flick or resonably good cartoon, just get drunk first and save yourself time and money.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Thanks. 

The Mitsubishi looks good and the price is indeed low. But its huge I need the 3D TV for my tiny flat near my university. 32 inch should be max.

But the Mitsubishi looks like the perfect Tv for the basement at my moms house. I have to see the Mitsubishi in action somewhere. The price is great just 1k for all. But what about the glasses which one do I need ? 

And this Tv is really PS3 gaming compatible with the Adapter ?

I saw they are not shipping to Europe but they are shipping to military adresses. I know some military personel here in germany which live in a US Base. And this base is US territory. So shipping to them should actually work or not ?

This should be the perfect christmas present for my mom :)

Netyaroze said:

Thanks. 

The Mitsubishi looks good and the price is indeed low. But its huge I need the 3D TV for my tiny flat near my university. 32 inch should be max.

But the Mitsubishi looks like the perfect Tv for the basement at my moms house. I have to see the Mitsubishi in action somewhere. The price is great just 1k for all. But what about the glasses which one do I need ? 

I saw they are not shipping to Europe but they are shipping to military adresses. I know some military personel here in germany which live in a US Base. And this base is US territory. So shipping to them should actually work or not ?

That Mitsu is basically the same one I have.  They look great and are definitely worth the price.  Sides, it will end up looking better 3D wise than those 3k LCDs.

I love my DLP and recommend people why really want to do the plunge into 3D to go that route.

Ssenkahdavic said:
Netyaroze said:

Thanks. 

That Mitsu is basically the same one I have.  They look great and are definitely worth the price.  Sides, it will end up looking better 3D wise than those 3k LCDs.

I love my DLP and recommend people why really want to do the plunge into 3D to go that route.

They are very good TVs for the price. 2D or 3D...

Yes, that adapter will work with the PS3 3D and bluray players...here is a review - http://digitalnipples.com/2010/07/09/3d-review-mitsubishis-3dc-1000-3d-adapter-kit/

Otherwise I really wouldn't ship it overseas for 2 reasons.

1. Its massive. even at 60 inches! When the TV is in the box its really big. Shipping will be pricey.

2. No warranty overseas. If something goes wrong...

The one drawback to these TVs is that they use a bulb which needs to be replaced ever 3 years.The bulb is 100 bucks...

I own a Samsung DLP similar to this model which is 67 inches which uses LED light source and has no bulb. If samsung didn't discontinue those models in 2009 and game it support like Mitsubishi, they would be by far the best 3D TVs you can buy on the market today.

Not to mention we'd have cool stuff available like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuXlNe6s7s

Tis a shame.

Edit- as far as the glasses, you can get the "Mitsubishi DLP starter pack", which includes 2 pairs of glasses, adapter and bluray. $399 Google it...

OR you can get the universal RealD X103 glasses which come out soon...

Around the Network

so do the plasmas still suffer from bad burn-in? Because I would never use a standard plasma for gaming because most have static HUDs that always end up burnt in.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Those reasons are all good. The 4th reason is its expensive as hell (if you don't already have a 3DTV)

Actually I cant find this Mitsubishi in UK or Germany so its probably just available in the US. Not even best buy Uk has it.

No warranty is actually a big problem I calculated 200 Dollar shipping costs from US but there are still Taxes and custom for this thing so i will end up probably with 1300 Euro for it. But no warranty pretty much kills it.

I found a 50 inch Samsung Plasma for 1500 Euro which is not that expensive imo. If the Mitsubishi DLP would be available in Germany or UK I would buy it instantly but I cant find it and I am searching the last 1-2 hours.

What do you think about the 

Samsung PS50C6970

Why is the Mitsubishi WD-60638 not available in Europe ? 

Netyaroze said:

Actually I cant find this Mitsubishi in UK or Germany so its probably just available in the US. Not even best buy Uk has it.

No warranty is actually a big problem I calculated 200 Dollar shipping costs from US but there are still Taxes and custom for this thing so i will end up probably with 1300 Euro for it. But no warranty pretty much kills it.

I found a 50 inch Samsung Plasma for 1500 Euro which is not that expensive imo. If the Mitsubishi DLP would be available in Germany or UK I would buy it instantly but I cant find it and I am searching the last 1-2 hours.

They are US only TVs. In canada a few stores sell them like tigerdirect but they are really rare as well. I don't know why to be honest. I don't think Europe  received many DLP TV.

That Samsung you listed seems to be the entry elvel samsung 3D plasma. Its probably the exact same model I was going to buy. What can I say? If you are dying to play PS3 in 3D and have the money, I guess its not such a bad buy. But it is limiting to what you can do and is pretty pricey for the features.

If you want to drool over a TV check out the Mitsubishi 75 ich 3D Laser TV that came out last month - http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-L75-A91-75-Inch-1080p-LaserVue/dp/B003KTN0AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279936251&sr=8-1

Supposedly the best picture quality you will see until OLED TVs come out.

disolitude said:
Netyaroze said:

They are US only TVs. In canada a few stores sell them like tigerdirect but they are really rare as well. I don't know why to be honest. I don't think Europe  received many DLP TV.

That Samsung you listed seems to be the entry elvel samsung 3D plasma. Its probably the exact same model I was going to buy. What can I say? If you are dying to play PS3 in 3D and have the money, I guess its not such a bad buy. But it is limiting to what you can do and is pretty pricey for the features.

If you want to drool over a TV check out the Mitsubishi 75 ich 3D Laser TV that came out last month - http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-L75-A91-75-Inch-1080p-LaserVue/dp/B003KTN0AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279936251&sr=8-1

Supposedly the best picture quality you will see until OLED TVs come out.

If I only was a millionaire....