By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3 reasons why to NOT buy a new 3DTV for gaming.

I was close to buying a 50 inch Samsung 3D plasma last week. I did lots of research on forums, reading manuals, and talking to people. I've come to the conclusion that gamers should avoid these new 3D TVs like the black plague for now.  Here is why...

1. No 1080p gaming in 3D - That's right, the "Full HD 3D" on the box is pure marketing rubbish as it only applies to Bluray playback.

The new 3D TVs can accept 1920x1080 @24 frames per second stereoscopic 3D or only 720p @ 50/60 frames per second. According to HDMI 1.4 spec, 1080p does not work at more than 24 frames per second. Therefore blurays can work in 3D @ 1080p as they run at 24 fps but gaming and TV shows will never be able to run at 1080p 3D on these new 3D TVs (even when using a more capable system in the future like PC or PS4)

2. Content - Content isn't available and what is available isn't very good.

The few blurays which are available have questionable 3D effects since they were converted post filming. I also got to watch the World Cup final recording in 3D on my current 3D TV and it really doesn't add anything to the experience. 2D to 3D conversion has never produced great results.  As far as gaming, PS3 has some games you can play in 3D, but we all know that the technology will be much more impressive once native 3D gaming experiences come out, such as Killzone

3. Compatibility  -   TV's don't work with your PC using Nvidia 3D vision yet.

You see Nvidia 3D vision works at true 120 hz via custom DVI cable and these TVs can't accept that signal over HDMI 1.4. Also the fact that each TV manufacturer is providing their own exclusive set of glasses with the tv doesn't allow for 3rd part glasses to be used. This locks out any existing 3D technology one may own. Nvidia is working on a fix for both issues... Most of the 3D content today is found on the PC, such as Youtube 3D and over 400 3D compatible games and until that works, these TVs have no use.

There are many other resons such as price, and 1-2  year old 3D TV display technology which is cheaper and in some cases works better, but these are the main reasons why I did not by the Samsung 3D TV.

Considering that gaming on these 3D TVs is going to be locked at 720p, one must wonder if they should bother buying a 3D TV at all. They are bound to release a true 1080p@60 hz 3D TV in the foreseeable future. I mean, Asus are releasing a true 120 hz 1080p 27 inch 3D monitor for the PC shortly.

Around the Network

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like no 3DTV for me until at least 2015.

Duely noted. Disappointed, but noted.

It is truth, and I agree.

Snesboy said:

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like no 3DTV for me until at least 2015.

Thats a good plan I think.

For now, anyone remotely interested in 3D should spend 400 bucks boosting their computer with better video card, bluray drive and possibly new CPU. And then spending another 500 in buying Nvidia 3D vision and Samsung 2233RZ 3D monitor or the ATi prefered setup (Zalman monitor and IZ3D drivers).

It does 3D bluray, plays 100s of PC games in great 3D, emulates wii and dreamcast games in HD 3D, lets you watch google earth in 3D, youtube 3D, lets you create 3D pictures...etc

The only thing you can't do with this setup is PS3 3D gaming because sony is locking out everything but the new 3D TVs (xbox 360 3D gaming works tho). But there are bound to be workarounds in place. In fact, few people are reporting interesting results using a PC, HDMI capture card and an HDMI detective when it comes to PS3 gaming... :)

Around the Network

lol you and your 3D addiction has brought good information for people on this forum it seems =P

dahuman said:

lol you and your 3D addiction has brought good information for people on this forum it seems =P

I can't stop.

Help me!

Dam, I really wanted the 46 inch Samsung 3DTV!

But maybe it's mature when new models come out next year?

As for the 24 fps Blue ray input at 1080p I think that sounds awkward since 24fps is not enuff to provide a satysfying 3D-picture. I fought Bluray in 3D was 48 fps.

They really need to pull together and have some standardization for this new 3-D "craze."  It just seems everyone is doing their own thing, which is just going to hurt customers, as well as sales.

Hey, don't forget the no-glasses 3D will probably be coming out soon and will probably be a better deal than paying 300$ for a pair of glasses. I heard 3D actually downgrades HD. Also, there seems to be a lack of "IMAX pop out 3D" and usually it's that "Real D" crap. I'm waiting untill I can see Marcus Fenix stuck a bloody lancer in my  face instead of that diarama 3D.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*