By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give Us Back The Old Nintendo (Nowgamer article)

What 'those people' want is to reexperience childhood memories, which is impossible for any developer out there to offer.

Around the Network

If you're 21 and under, you shouldn't even comment in this thread. You weren't alive when Nintendo was at it's best and so your experience is VERY limited on the subject.

There was a time when Nintendo CREATED Zelda,Mario and Metroid...not simply made sequels. If you were alive during this time, like I was, you'll totally understand the article.

Nintari said:

If you're 21 and under, you shouldn't even comment in this thread. You weren't alive when Nintendo was at it's best and so your experience is VERY limited on the subject.

There was a time when Nintendo CREATED Zelda,Mario and Metroid...not simply made sequels. If you were alive during this time, like I was, you'll totally understand the article.

but IPs are created to have an environment to deliver your gameplay, not for the sake of creating new IPs. Nintendo already has 5 jump and run IPs, they have their fantasy adventure (zelda) and their sci-fi adventure (metroid). they have their SRPG (fire emblem) and so on. why would they create several new IPs when their existing ones cover all the genres/needs AND are loved by their fans? and i don't agree that each entry in the nintendo IPs feels like the same game. and it's not as if they release sequels every year!

other developers don't do it either. there was a time when blizzard created Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo... right now they only make sequels! of course they do, because the fanbase loves the IPs. a new IP every now and then is good, but only if it helps deliver a new kind of experience. nintendo probably didn't think putting mario in wii sports was a good idea... so they came up with a new series.

Nintari said:

Nintendo still makes games, Sony aren't even making any, they let 3rd party's do everything.  did you miss flinsmash? and so what if they make sequels, more good games then.  They are making sequels to games that were made long time ago, and it's great to have them back,  and there iwll be a new IP soon, Miyamoto said he was ready for a new character,

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

The arrogance of pseudo-elitist gamers like Nintari is unbearable.

Around the Network
Nintari said:

If you want to start talking about sequels then the entire game industry should be at fault not just nintendo. its built around sequals and established series because they're what sell the most. its a greater risk to release a new ip that could completely bomb than an established ip thats guaranteed to make a profit. that being said, nintendo has been coming out with several new ip's besides the mii series in Japan like xenoblade, but many of them haven't been major success so it is unlikely that we will see them released in the west but you never know.

Same old bullsh**. It's been 10 years of the same old crap. Don't you guys get tired of it?

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Christian973 said:

Same old bullsh**. It's been 10 years of the same old crap. Don't you guys get tired of it?

After enduring a decade of idiots criticising you for liking what you like, you learn to ignore them.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gamerace said:

I understand where he is coming from.   But what they must remember, is Nintendo didn't leave them, they left Nintendo.    That group, that once loved their NES and SNES, drifted to PS and almost totally abandoned Nintendo for the PS2.    That's where the 'real' games were.  The GC was a kiddie system.

Coming into this gen there was no way Nintendo could beat Sony's tech or MS online.   Any attempt to do so would be suicide and as most of you might remember, many an analyst, professional or mere forum goer surmised that this gen would kill Nintendo.

So Nintendo zigged while they zagged.   Their old audience had left them so they went looking for a new one, and found it, and how!  This path has diverged them even further from that old market that Ms/Sony now dominate but why should Nintendo care?  

End of the day, the bottom line is this:  Nintendo is crazy f---ing profittable in this business.  MS and Sony are not.    So why cater to a group that cannot be adequately profitted from?   Fighting on terms set by Sony/MS and 3rd parties?

If Nintendo went back to the way they were it'd be the end of them.    Thank God they aren't that stupid.

In the meantime, tomorrow's game critics/journalists, who are equally female now, are growing up loving the Nintendo that is.

THISx1000000000000000000000000000000000

I miss the days of Nintendo when they were creating new IPs in several genres like Electroplankton, Orbient, Light Trax, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Rotohex, Band Brothers, Soundvoyager, Wii Sports, Excitebots, Rhythm Heaven, Captain Rainbow, and a few others.  Man they used to be on top of their game.  Now it's all sequels and rehashes.  It's not like anybody actually wants more of the same old boring annual sequels of Kid Icarus, Punch-Out!!, Excitebike, Pilotwings, or Star Fox.  We've had too much of those already.