By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Sony laser technology 20 times better than Blu-Ray

vlad321 said:

How about we use flash? It can ahve much more storage and it is many many times faster than optical media.

Cost. Optical disks are orders of magnitude cheaper than solid state.

Around the Network

i can kaz hiria at e3 2015 saying:" it is the beginning of a new era last gen we brought to you blu ray and cell technology, this gen we bring you ultra cell technology it's 5 times more advanced, and a new disc! it can store 20 times more then a blu ray disc. 

we are going to have a 499 sku 750 gb for a ps4 without that laser technology its just bluray and a 999 sku for a ps4 with everything included and it comes with no controller and no game."

suddenly reggie comes and says:" i have an announcement i'm sorry but i messed up with the price of the wii it's actually 250$"

then a ms executive comes and says:" well i'm being nice here, i'm going to tell you a secret the xbox720 is at 400$!

then at the launch date of the ps4 sony announces it won't support it anymore and it officials gets out of the console buisness, but it anounces a new psp which comes with bluray capabilities.

hopefully that wont happen.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Tech lifecycles are becoming too short. Consumers will stop buying eventually.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:

Maybe but this gen has been one hell of a ride so far length wise. If this gen last ten years how long will the next one be? I don't think i'll live to see 10th gen videogames systems.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Around the Network
FlyingLotus said:
Faxanadu said:

Maybe but this gen has been one hell of a ride so far length wise. If this gen last ten years how long will the next one be? I don't think i'll live to see 10th gen videogames systems.

I am not talking about video games here.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Then there's this:

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

Blu-Ray are fine for now and next-gen. Today's are barely 50GBs, and if they need more space, just use 4 layers. If 100 GBs are still not enough for you, then you have a real problem with developing. Heck, by the time PS4 hits, one Bd will probably already have 100GBs.

I think it would a great mistake to use a different format for the PS4. With the PS2 CDs were already too small for big games, and recent PS3 games show that now DVD space is too less. But with Blu-Rays still having air to bigger sizes, PS4 should just use BD.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

For PS5, maybe we need something that big. For PS4 all we need is the 33.3 Single layered Blu Ray. put a 12x drive on the thing and it'll read quadruple layered discs easily. Best and most cost effective solution for next generation.

i bet this is just another version of the hologram discs which already can hold 6TB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc