By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Sony laser technology 20 times better than Blu-Ray

The development team of Tohoku University and Sony has completed work on a new laser technology offering 20 times the capacity of current Blu-Ray discs.  The most difficult aspect, if I can make sense of the google translation as well as I think I can, was reducing the size of the equipment needed to produce such a strong beam of light down to the size of commercial products.

Currently the technology can only be used in experimental prototypes costing over $100,000 to produce.  Sony plans to have the laser available to consumers within a few years.  Can anyone guess what tech will ship with the PlayStation 4?

SOurce

Yeah this is def gonna be ready for ps4 commercial use...

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

Wow I'm just getting into Blu-Ray.  Slow down Sony haha.  Same thing with HD and now 3D.  I mean if I can't keep up, imagine the others that can't keep up.  Not to mention keep up money wise.  

Sounds cool, but it'll be awhile before it is cost effective for the average electronic consumer.

They won't do it again. It would completely annihilate SCE having another >500€ cost at launch.

Kynes said:

They won't do it again. It would completely annihilate SCE having another >500€ cost at launch.

Unless they can reduce the costs then yes, but tech is evolving real fast..I think they will be able to pull it off in 3-4 years

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

This kinda worried me, They better not try anything stupid with the PS4... why cant they just make it 5-10 times stronger and keep cost down...why 20? is that really needed? chesus!

Around the Network
Zucas said:

Wow I'm just getting into Blu-Ray.  Slow down Sony haha.  Same thing with HD and now 3D.  I mean if I can't keep up, imagine the others that can't keep up.  Not to mention keep up money wise.  

Sounds cool, but it'll be awhile before it is cost effective for the average electronic consumer.

Well, SONY said that the PS4 would be late to release, so maybe Blu Ray would have become standard by then.

Jay520 said:
Zucas said:

Well, SONY said that the PS4 would be late to release, so maybe Blu Ray would have become standard by then.

Well I'm really not even factoring the PS4 into this equation.  I'm just saying, Blu-ray still has a very long lifecycle itself as it starts to become more mainstream.  Especially with the higher rate of HDTV adoption, these next 5-10 years should see it explode and start moving DVD to the closets.  It's good that they have future technology in the works, but still blu-ray has a lot of growing room for a very long time.  Maybe PS5 or PS6 though haha.  

ROFL, seriously? Can you guys even imagine how much it will cost game developers to try and fill a 1000GB disc with content? What are we aimng for here? JRPG's that offer 1000 hours of play time?

Funtime said:

ROFL, seriously? Can you guys even imagine how much it will cost game developers to try and fill a 1000GB disc with content? What are we aimng for here? JRPG's that offer 1000 hours of play time?

it's the way it works, I'm sure we heard such comments in the cartridge era as well as the CD era...

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

That's almost as powerful as a Light Saber!