By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Sony laser technology 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Funtime said:

ROFL, seriously? Can you guys even imagine how much it will cost game developers to try and fill a 1000GB disc with content? What are we aimng for here? JRPG's that offer 1000 hours of play time?

No, probably that's needed for Ultra HD graphics...for PS3 games DVDs were not enough, I guess to make 4000p graphics Blue-rays aren't enough.

but really, We don't need this now, as some said blue-rays are becoming mainstream, we can have a new gen without having to improve that much the amount of discs every time!

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Funtime said:

ROFL, seriously? Can you guys even imagine how much it will cost game developers to try and fill a 1000GB disc with content? What are we aimng for here? JRPG's that offer 1000 hours of play time?

it's the way it works, I'm sure we heard such comments in the cartridge era as well as the CD era...

Agreed, but look at how many game developers are losing money this gen. And look how long it's taken to make GT5 already. Imagine if they had to fill a disc 20 times bigger.

Buzzi said:
Funtime said:

No, probably that's needed for Ultra HD graphics...for PS3 games DVDs were not enough, I guess to make 4000p graphics Blue-rays aren't enough.

but really, We don't need this now, as some said blue-rays are becoming mainstream, we can have a new gen without having to improve that much the amount of discs every time!

But at what point do more lines of resolution become irrelevant? Can the human eye even tell the difference betwen 2000 lines of resolution and 4000 lines on a 60 inch screen?

I highly doubt this for PS4. PS5 maybe, but not PS4. 

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Funtime said:
Buzzi said:
Funtime said:

But at what point do more lines of resolution become irrelevant? Can the human eye even tell the difference betwen 2000 lines of resolution and 4000 lines on a 60 inch screen?

I don't know the exact point, it depends on you. I can say that for me HD is enough for me, but some other with a ultra HD console would bash a just-HD console because it's a gen back probably...

I would like next gen to have an increase in power of the consoles, but be more particular, with 3 different consoles each one with different offers, like it was at the beginning of this gen.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network

Highly doubt this will be used any time soon for PS4. Games are barely reaching the 50GB mark. No need for 1000GB, no game would fill it.

Two 2-disc blu-ray 50GB games would be more likely if any game required 100GB and I'll predict 1080p across all games with the PS4. 3D games should be able to run in 1080p at 30fps.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Funtime said:

it's the way it works, I'm sure we heard such comments in the cartridge era as well as the CD era...

It good they developed it but bluray is still having that size disc will only casue slower speeds especially when they need to write redundant data on the  BR  disc to increase loading speeds. Ps3  reads at x2 and it still needs installs.

Other upcoming disc with high storage 5D DVD up to 10 terabytes ,maximum.HVD  6 terabytes maximum. So yeah not down playing sony or anything but blu ray will be here for a good 10 years or so.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

I'd really like to see the next technology focus on a better form factor. Something like flash that is smaller and without moving parts. The noise of spinning drives and the chances of mechanical failure is something I would like eliminated.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

How about we use flash? It can ahve much more storage and it is many many times faster than optical media.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Oh god....next year I better not see "ULTRA MEGA BLU-RAY" plastered next to 3D TVs at Best Buy for only 899.99$. Does Sony WANT to kill Blu-Ray already?

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*