By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Sony laser technology 20 times better than Blu-Ray

AnthonyW86 said:
Silver-Tiger said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Silver-Tiger said:
AnthonyW86 said:

I really hope Sony isn't stupid enough to use this on the next Playstation, creating another $600 system.... PS3 didn't even really need Blu-Ray.

Still, it's nice to have it now, yes?

Also, tell that to Hideo Kojima and MGS4.

Some of the best games on the original PLaystation where multi-disc, including Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo and FF7 to name a few.

Besides they could have opted for double sided DVD's, wich would have been faster to since the PS3 only uses a 2x Blu- Ray player. For comparison, 2x Blu-Ray is about equal in speed as a 8x dvd(that's right, 360's 12x dvd player can actually data faster than PS3's Blu-Ray player). And offcourse it would have saved Sony about $150 per PS3 from the start.

Multi-disc have always been a disadvantage. More production costs, more licensing costs (MS for example charges heftly for every extra disc), and of course the hassle of changing discs. And double-sided DVDs are dumbest decision you could make. You still have higher production costs, since there still two sides, and yoou scratch both surfaces when touching it. And you still need to turn the DVD. And even double sided DVDs would have been too less space for MGS4:

8.5 8.5 = 17 GB

BD DL = 50GB

MGS4 has like 8/9 hours of cutscenes?..... No wonder it takes up al that space. And they could have used a drive with two lenses(one for each side) so you didn't have to turn the dvd(probably would have cost like $10 extra).

More importantly X360 is doing fine with just DVD(not to mention Wii). I'm not saying Blu-Ray isn't better, it just wasn't a smart move by Sony from a cost and business perspective.

And that's were I can't agree with. Sure, the PS3 could have been cheaper from the beginning, but do you know what they earn know from Blu-Ray sales? if they wouldn't have included Blu-Ray in the PS3, HD-DVD would have won, that should be clear. And from that pie Sony would have got nothing.

I not going to argue with you that the 360 is doing just fine, but space limitations can't be a advantage. Sure, the Wii is doing fine, it has no big HD textures which take up much space. But a X360 disc has just 6.8 GB data. Most games already fill up that space. Even teh Wii can handle all 8.5 GB of a DVD DL. So i think if most 360 already fill up the Xbox 360 disc, I say they hit space barrier with many games and include the additional content in DLC etc. I can't say for sure, since we have no real proof, but let's take GTA 4 for example. Why take out MANY functions from the precedessor? Why take out swimming, car tuning, body training, planes and so on?

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

wow thats great. imgaine all that content they can fit in there. build an entire world and play in it lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
AnthonyW86 said:
Silver-Tiger said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Silver-Tiger said:
AnthonyW86 said:

I really hope Sony isn't stupid enough to use this on the next Playstation, creating another $600 system.... PS3 didn't even really need Blu-Ray.

Still, it's nice to have it now, yes?

Also, tell that to Hideo Kojima and MGS4.

Some of the best games on the original PLaystation where multi-disc, including Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo and FF7 to name a few.

Besides they could have opted for double sided DVD's, wich would have been faster to since the PS3 only uses a 2x Blu- Ray player. For comparison, 2x Blu-Ray is about equal in speed as a 8x dvd(that's right, 360's 12x dvd player can actually data faster than PS3's Blu-Ray player). And offcourse it would have saved Sony about $150 per PS3 from the start.

Multi-disc have always been a disadvantage. More production costs, more licensing costs (MS for example charges heftly for every extra disc), and of course the hassle of changing discs. And double-sided DVDs are dumbest decision you could make. You still have higher production costs, since there still two sides, and yoou scratch both surfaces when touching it. And you still need to turn the DVD. And even double sided DVDs would have been too less space for MGS4:

8.5 8.5 = 17 GB

BD DL = 50GB

MGS4 has like 8/9 hours of cutscenes?..... No wonder it takes up al that space. And they could have used a drive with two lenses(one for each side) so you didn't have to turn the dvd(probably would have cost like $10 extra).

More importantly X360 is doing fine with just DVD(not to mention Wii). I'm not saying Blu-Ray isn't better, it just wasn't a smart move by Sony from a cost and business perspective.

It's not like the cutscenes were 1080P and pre-rendered, like FF13.  They were done using the game engine, so they wouldn't take up that much space. 

And to say Blu-ray isn't better than DVD is just ridiculous.  Of course it's better.  It's a fact that can't be refuted, no matter what your opinion of Blu-ray is.  Let's just focus on gaming, since it's obvious Blu-ray is better for Hi-Def movies.  Next gen, when games continue to grow larger in scale and 1080P is the norm, all that extra space is going to be needed for High Res textures.  Otherwise, your game may be 1080P, but it's going to look like crap with a bunch of low res textures.  Plus, since Blu-ray drives read at a constant speed (with a larger bandwith), and not variable (who's max speed is almost never reached) like DVD, once we get to 8x/12x in the PS4 you can pretty much kiss those load times good-bye for good. 

Here's a comparison chart:

( source: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23916169&user=skektek )

And there is also the fact that Blu-rays are scratch resistant.