By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Format war Bluray vs hddvd...

Hus said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

"Source: 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment"

I cant' say that's credible. I'm not claiming it isn't true. I'm stating it isn't a credible, objective source. Any source that has money put into either format (so Warners, Paramount, and LG are included for their dual support), isn't a credible source.

The BR group uses nielson numbers.

i guess everything is not credible if it means good for sony.

I don't care what source they use. There are plenty of ways to twist numbers to suit your views. I've seen that from every side already in this thread. And don't you dare pretend you aren't pretending sources you don't agree with aren't credible. You're just projecting your own lack of objectivity onto me.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

It's interesting that Samsung, who was squarely in the BR camp, came out with a hybrid BR/HD-DVD player. I think Sony may be burning bridges with other hardware vendors. They've made it impossible for those other hardware companies to make any profit by driving up diode prices on one hand, and undercutting them with the PS3 on the other. It's a dangerous game Sony is playing because if the other hardware companies decide to back HD-DVD things could turn around very quickly.

FishyJoe said:
It's interesting that Samsung, who was squarely in the BR camp, came out with a hybrid BR/HD-DVD player. I think Sony may be burning bridges with other hardware vendors. They've made it impossible for those other hardware companies to make any profit by driving up diode prices on one hand, and undercutting them with the PS3 on the other. It's a dangerous game Sony is playing because if the other hardware companies decide to back HD-DVD things could turn around very quickly.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/06/samsung-planning-dual-format-hd-dvd-blu-ray-disc-player/

they been planing one for a long time now.

Yet they waited til now to release it. Interesting timing for a format that is supposed to be clearly winning.

Nor does it invalidate my point about undercutting other manufacturers in the retail space.

FishyJoe said:
Yet they waited til now to release it. Interesting timing for a format that is supposed to be clearly winning.

is there even a release date...

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hus said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I cant' say that's credible. I'm not claiming it isn't true. I'm stating it isn't a credible, objective source. Any source that has money put into either format (so Warners, Paramount, and LG are included for their dual support), isn't a credible source.

I don't care what source they use. There are plenty of ways to twist numbers to suit your views. I've seen that from every side already in this thread. And don't you dare pretend you aren't pretending sources you don't agree with aren't credible. You're just projecting your own lack of objectivity onto me.

when your product is leading there is no need to twist numbers...which sony isnt, the only time twisting numbers is beneficial is when the product is losing and you use things to make it seem as though it isnt bad and it wont be prolonged.......see PS3 sales with "compared to 360 at this time" or "for its price"......when leading, you never twist the numbers.....youre just playing devils advocate and cant call a spade a spade, BD is dominating right now.  Maybe not forever but so far this year BD has dominated, there is no twisting needed.

steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hus said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

when your product is leading there is no need to twist numbers...which sony isnt, the only time twisting numbers is beneficial is when the product is losing and you use things to make it seem as though it isnt bad and it wont be prolonged.......see PS3 sales with "compared to 360 at this time" or "for its price"......when leading, you never twist the numbers.....youre just playing devils advocate and cant call a spade a spade, BD is dominating right now. Maybe not forever but so far this year BD has dominated, there is no twisting needed.

That is not the only time to twist numbers. It could be you're in the lead, but you twist numbers due to tax or stock complications. Or in this case, when the lead isn't that commanding, but they want it to look overwhelming, and that it's practically over, when it's not even been a year yet.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hus said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

when your product is leading there is no need to twist numbers...which sony isnt, the only time twisting numbers is beneficial is when the product is losing and you use things to make it seem as though it isnt bad and it wont be prolonged.......see PS3 sales with "compared to 360 at this time" or "for its price"......when leading, you never twist the numbers.....youre just playing devils advocate and cant call a spade a spade, BD is dominating right now. Maybe not forever but so far this year BD has dominated, there is no twisting needed.

That is not the only time to twist numbers. It could be you're in the lead, but you twist numbers due to tax or stock complications. Or in this case, when the lead isn't that commanding, but they want it to look overwhelming, and that it's practically over, when it's not even been a year yet.

indeed, but sony included the miniscule actual sales number and not just teh rankings, so they arent twisting a "top 25" sales without including the actual amount of sales.  Youre just diggingdeep to not praise BD, while it is awfully small, cimply compared directly to HD DVD is dominating, and thats the only terms that matter, BD compared to HD DVD because even if digital downloads prevail or BD or HD DVD dont take over completely for DVD there is still a market for hi def movies and larger disk medium of storage, so while you can twist ranking, actual sales numbers in direct comparison, to me at least, are solid data that isnt being manipulated by Sony or anyone involved in this.

steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Hus said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

indeed, but sony included the miniscule actual sales number and not just teh rankings, so they arent twisting a "top 25" sales without including the actual amount of sales. Youre just diggingdeep to not praise BD, while it is awfully small, cimply compared directly to HD DVD is dominating, and thats the only terms that matter, BD compared to HD DVD because even if digital downloads prevail or BD or HD DVD dont take over completely for DVD there is still a market for hi def movies and larger disk medium of storage, so while you can twist ranking, actual sales numbers in direct comparison, to me at least, are solid data that isnt being manipulated by Sony or anyone involved in this.

How pointing out sales going out of my way not to praise something? That makes you look more like a fanboy, calling me a basher, simply because I don't agree with you.

The thing is that you all seem to think one format has to outsell the other to win. Yes, the hype of the formats' supporters has made it seem so, that's all smoke and mirrors. The thing is that when you are trying to introduce something new to the mainstream market, the mainstream is the ONLY CONDITION OF VICTORY. It doesn't matter if a competitor makes it as well. In the mainsteam, each format stands to sell millions a month, if the achieve even a tenth of DVD's market. Yet conversely, if sales of both formats starts to stall at the current rate, both lose, even if blu-ray is in the lead.

That's the real reason why leading over the other is a big spin. Getting to the mainstream is what's most important.

Yet I think the format competition is a GODO THING. It's pushed both companies to push better players, and better content, and has allowed both formats to sell more movies than DVD did at this time, even though DVD didn't require a whole new TV (as long as it had coaxial input and was at least 13"). What if there wasn't this format war? Would gamers care as much? Would the publicity have been as...

Okay, now I have this big conspiracy theory in my head.

If you look at the weekly sales figures on dvdempire you will see that HD DVD : Blu-ray sales ratios are now 43:57 in April, whilst it was 30:70 in March.

The 3.5:1 Fox CES prediction has been shown to be false. We can expect sales of the formats to get closer as weeks progress rather than Blu-ray pulling away.