By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I just realized that Nintendo will stay in first place for a long time

ImJustBayuum said:

Thank God for MS and Sony. They chose the path of quality over crap.

HAHAHA wait wait... Microsoft and Sony are quality.. over NINTENDO??

What world are YOU living in?

Around the Network
Qays said:

Doesn't it make more sense to view Nintendo's current dominance as the exception and not the rule? It is, after all, built not at all on the traditional Nintendo formula: storybook adventure games that hide deep mechanics beneath their cheerful façades. Rather, the Wii has sold on the back of low-quality sports sims.

Nintendo has found a profitable niche. But it's nothing at all like the niche they've had for themselves in the past.

^^

This speaks volumes to me.  Very little the Wii has done this generation has had the footprint of the traditional Nintendo formula.  They are in somewhat uncharted territory as far as I'm concerned.  And regardless of your stance on Nintendo/Sony/MS it's tine to admit that Nintendo has indeed found themselves a niche in gaming this generation.

Something very comparable to the niche that Guitar Hero found. This isn't a matter of 'being themselves' it's a matter of catching lightning in a bottle. 

Rpruett said:
Qays said:

Doesn't it make more sense to view Nintendo's current dominance as the exception and not the rule? It is, after all, built not at all on the traditional Nintendo formula: storybook adventure games that hide deep mechanics beneath their cheerful façades. Rather, the Wii has sold on the back of low-quality sports sims.

Nintendo has found a profitable niche. But it's nothing at all like the niche they've had for themselves in the past.

^^

This speaks volumes to me.  Very little the Wii has done this generation has had the footprint of the traditional Nintendo formula.  They are in somewhat uncharted territory as far as I'm concerned.  And regardless of your stance on Nintendo/Sony/MS it's tine to admit that Nintendo has indeed found themselves a niche in gaming this generation.

Something very comparable to the niche that Guitar Hero found. This isn't a matter of 'being themselves' it's a matter of catching lightning in a bottle. 

The wii did go back to nintendos roots.  Games easy to pick up but with a degree of difficulty. Games that harken back to arcades like wii sports mario kart and nsmb.  Lightning in a bottle as you call it makes it sound like it was luck when it wasn't.

A niche is a small little market but MS and Sony are a niche with shooters and more shooters andgrey dark visuals.

The wii brings me back to 1988 when I purchased an nes for my 2 young boys and we all got hooked.

Metallicube said:
ImJustBayuum said:

YEP...Im sorry that you are a bit slow. But this is true since the start of this gaming gen.

"The wii did go back to nintendos roots.  Games easy to pick up but with a degree of difficulty."

Wii Sports has a "degree of difficulty"? Wii Fit does? Wii Play? Because those are the Wii's killer apps, not games like Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess.

Around the Network
Rpruett said:
Qays said:

^^

Prior to late last year and this year you would have been right. Prior, very little was traditional nintendo. That has changed though and there are more titles that are traditional nintendo to come. For me its still not enough to make me buy many wii games, but then again, i've pretty much come to terms with moving on from nintendo consoles. Im in that 12-25 category (even though im 30, I henceforth rebrand 12-25 to 12-30). I could buy all the 'core' nintendo games they release and it still would be dwarfed by my other console libraries.

The fact of the matter is, Rol is correct. Nintendo tried a new angle on the 7-12 crowd and attempted for the 30  crowd as well. Slowly but surely they've been eating the edges on the 12-30 though I doubt this gen they will ever compete well with SONY/MS on that demographic.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Niche, hehe. Haven't heard that one in a while. If Wii is niche what isn't?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

ImJustBayuum said:
Metallicube said:
ImJustBayuum said:

YEP...Im sorry that you are a bit slow. But this is true since the start of this gaming gen.

You are the slow one if you think multinational, multidivisional corporations that don't give two craps about gaming make better quality games than a pure gaming company that has been in the game since the early 80s.

"Slowly but surely they've been eating the edges on the 12-30 though I doubt this gen they will ever compete well with SONY/MS on that demographic."

Will they ever be able to compete in that demographic? I have my doubts.

Qays said:

"The wii did go back to nintendos roots.  Games easy to pick up but with a degree of difficulty."

Wii Sports has a "degree of difficulty"? Wii Fit does? Wii Play? Because those are the Wii's killer apps, not games like Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess.

Yes NSMB wii is harder than any FPS clone on the hd twins.  It has a degree of difficulty as does galaxy.