By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

^^^^ another poster i respect

"honesty is the best policy"

Play Me

Around the Network

And keep in mind im not Fanboy i OWN ALL PLAYSTATION AND mostly sony exclusives are PURE GODNESS!!! BUT without my 360 i wouldnt be able to play Mass Effect 2 (GoTy) , better version of Multis like RdR or Bioshock 2 and some godness like Conviction (already finished 4 times!!!) , Alan Wake or my Funless CrackDown 2 !! Plus i wouldnt have a great community like on XBL playing all day Halo 3 , MW2 and GoW2 !! Without my Ps3 No Heavy Rain or God of War 3 this year... AMAZING GAMES ! YES I DONT LIKE MAG , LBP2 , GT5 AND SOCOM 4 !! As i dont like Forza or PDZ from MS!

Loved UnCharted 2 - My GoTy 2009 !!!! AC2 Very Good aswell and ofc L4D2 Awesome!

@bbh, avatar is awesome , and doesnt suck in 2d. and isnt a cliche movie either, a ton of ppl where i live and ppl i talk too on this site and others , agree avatar is a experience like no other.

on topic, 360 's price and lineup,xbl is why its selling in the uk. same in the states i would say as well.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Reach said:

And keep in mind im not Fanboy i OWN ALL PLAYSTATION AND mostly sony exclusives are PURE GODNESS!!! BUT without my 360 i wouldnt be able to play Mass Effect 2 (GoTy) , better version of Multis like RdR or Bioshock 2 and some godness like Conviction (already finished 4 times!!!) , Alan Wake or my Funless CrackDown 2 !! Plus i wouldnt have a great community like on XBL playing all day Halo 3 , MW2 and GoW2 !! Without my Ps3 No Heavy Rain or God of War 3 this year... AMAZING GAMES ! YES I DONT LIKE MAG , LBP2 , GT5 AND SOCOM 4 !! As i dont like Forza or PDZ from MS!

Loved UnCharted 2 - My GoTy 2009 !!!! AC2 Very Good aswell and ofc L4D2 Awesome!

You would actually, they are on PC and those versions are better than the console ones, apart from RDR and Alan Wake (which I'm expecting to come to PC anyway). Buying Xbox for games once you own a real gaming PC isn't a smart move in my book, most of XBox's library is shared with PC and shooters, which are the strongest part of XBox's library are allways better played on PC. So the real exclusives worth mentioning are Halo and Gears, where both already had PC iterations.

Xbox is for me a poor man's "PC". If you have a gaming PC, you would be smart to buy either PS3 or Wii for their exclusive games.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

selnor said:
Reasonable said:

In the UK the impression I get is that the 360 is seen as the best buy for money if you're not also into BR movies  as well as HD/Online gaming while PS3 is seen as the best buy for money if you are also into BR movies as well as HD/Online gaming.

The split in demand I believe nicely correlates with the fact that although HD TV sales have been okay in UK SD and DVD are still the dominant formats.

The Wii though does seem to have seen a drop in market awareness and 'must have' factor.  It's still selling well, but in general terms the marketing presence and sense of demand seems to be much stronger recently for 360/PS3 vs the Wii.

The 360 does have the advantage of being cheaper (albeit more on paper than reality prior to the 360s) and has, much like US, taken root as the console of choice for teenagers and young males, which has helped secure it's position in the UK as arguably the more dominant console of late (although LTD is still trails the Wii and will probably continue to do so).

I think the UK shows a very good split across the three consoles, in line with demographics and purchasing demand, with only the poor PSP looking (again, similar to US) like the black sheep of the family.

Noone really cares for Blu Ray here. I know more people who download HD films via either Xbox Live, BT Vision than even own a Blu Ray player. 

In fact Ive only ever once since Blu Ray has been out here ( 4 years ) seen an actual Blu Ray disc. 

And I can go into HMV, supermarkets etc without even seeing a BluRay on store shelves. Just DVD's. 

BluRay prices are still the same as 4 years ago. £20-£30. To own an HD film via download is about £7. To rent HD films via download is around £2-£3. Blockbuster charge as much as £6 to rent a BluRay for 24 hours.

UK is gonna miss BluRay alltogether. 

I for one am getting the 360s next week to fully utilise HD film downloads in my home. I never have to :

1. spend extra for another new media. 

2. Either find more shelf space.

3. Sell my BluRays when the next comes out.

I personally think certainly in the UK where Broadband is so easily available now, that BluRay will probably be the last medium here. It is struggling big here. More people definately have adopted downloads here. It's evident by the lack of BluRay shelf space. 

Selnor, don't be silly.  Saying 'no one' automatically makes you wrong.

My point is by major demographic the 360 and PS3 sell well but clearly the demographic splits favour the 360, but it's hardly no-one in terms of BR and other aspects of the consoles differences.

I put cinema over games and I certainly care about BR as the current best medium to view them at home.  Most of my friends are big on film and all buy a lot of BRs (as do I).

Of course your knowledge is limited to your own group (like mine) but it can hardly be taken as representing the whole.

In UK Sky is very big, broadband is spreading and renting digital downloads is gaining in popularity and the 360 plays very nicely to those wanting HD games, Sky and access to moveis that way.  It obviously appeals via Live and online gameplay.

The PS3 playes very nicely to those wanting HD games, and access to movies via BR disks as well as online, etc.

The former is a larger demographic but the latter isn't no-one (and of course many other demographics buy each console, too).

LTD in terms of weeks on the market both have sold well in the UK and both will almost certainly continue to do so.  The Wii, despite dipping more recently, in terms of weeks on market has sold more than either HD console so is hardly in trouble at this point.

I really don't see the UK "miising" BR to the extend you mention and would note that BR space is most stores, particularly (not surprisingly) in more affluent areas continue to grow.  Renting is always larger than owning for movies and existed alongside people buying DVDs and right back to buying VHS tapes.  The only real change more recently is the ability to buy a film digitally, the renting is nothing new, whether it's via a trip to a shop or online as a download.  The concept and the interested people are the same.  People who buy movies will continue to buy them, and as ever the main difference continues to be the extras and additional information vs simply renting the movie to watch.

You make some good comments, but your overall position is very assumptive regarding the majority and clearly wrong.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
FootballFan said:
selnor said:
kowenicki said:
Reasonable said:

In the UK the impression I get is that the 360 is seen as the best buy for money if you're not also into BR movies  as well as HD/Online gaming while PS3 is seen as the best buy for money if you are also into BR movies as well as HD/Online gaming.

The split in demand I believe nicely correlates with the fact that although HD TV sales have been okay in UK SD and DVD are still the dominant formats.

The Wii though does seem to have seen a drop in market awareness and 'must have' factor.  It's still selling well, but in general terms the marketing presence and sense of demand seems to be much stronger recently for 360/PS3 vs the Wii.

The 360 does have the advantage of being cheaper (albeit more on paper than reality prior to the 360s) and has, much like US, taken root as the console of choice for teenagers and young males, which has helped secure it's position in the UK as arguably the more dominant console of late (although LTD is still trails the Wii and will probably continue to do so).

I think the UK shows a very good split across the three consoles, in line with demographics and purchasing demand, with only the poor PSP looking (again, similar to US) like the black sheep of the family.

HD is massive in the UK.   Sky HD, Virgin HD, BT, Freeview HD and Freesat are extremely popular.

Yep. It's just BluRay isn't.

HD downloads are what loads of people here do. It's cheaper and more convienient. 

BluRay is a lot more popular than you might think. All major shops that sell DVD's has BluRays. Sure, the odd charity shop here and there might not have the media but pretty much everywhere else does...

Yes they do it. But for 4 tyears has had poor shelf space. 

kowenicki said:

MS managed to launch a HD console with good enough features for a decent price... Sony didnt. 

your opinion

it had good features for its price

If the PS3 had launched one year later (as it did) with the exact same features as the 360 for a slighlty higher price (we are talking about Sony remember)  it would have had a MAJOR problem in markets like the States and UK. 

but why would they have launched with the same features 1 year late

and it wouldn't have been a problem as brand power of the PS brand was much more that time

selnor said:
FootballFan said:
selnor said:
kowenicki said:
Reasonable said:

HD is massive in the UK.   Sky HD, Virgin HD, BT, Freeview HD and Freesat are extremely popular.

Yep. It's just BluRay isn't.

HD downloads are what loads of people here do. It's cheaper and more convienient. 

BluRay is a lot more popular than you might think. All major shops that sell DVD's has BluRays. Sure, the odd charity shop here and there might not have the media but pretty much everywhere else does...

Yes they do it. But for 4 tyears has had poor shelf space. 

and for the four yeas,blu-ray was very expensive too

kowenicki said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
kowenicki said:

MS managed to launch a HD console with good enough features for a decent price... Sony didnt. 

your opinion... hardly.. its a fact.

it had good features for its price  well if you insist mine is opinion so is yours

If the PS3 had launched one year later (as it did) with the exact same features as the 360 for a slighlty higher price (we are talking about Sony remember)  it would have had a MAJOR problem in markets like the States and UK. 

but why would they have launched with the same features 1 year late  err... PS2 was still selling strongly.. remember?

and it wouldn't have been a problem as brand power of the PS brand was much more that time

PS2 was selling strong in 2006 too,why did they release it then?

oh,they had to do soemthing for the future too

and why the hell would they charge more for the same

aragod said:
Reach said:

You would actually, they are on PC and those versions are better than the console ones, apart from RDR and Alan Wake (which I'm expecting to come to PC anyway). Buying Xbox for games once you own a real gaming PC isn't a smart move in my book, most of XBox's library is shared with PC and shooters, which are the strongest part of XBox's library are allways better played on PC. So the real exclusives worth mentioning are Halo and Gears, where both already had PC iterations.

Xbox is for me a poor man's "PC". If you have a gaming PC, you would be smart to buy either PS3 or Wii for their exclusive games.

This has got to be one of the most ignorant and narrowminded posts ive seen in my entire life.

Calling an Xbox a poor man's PC? That has got to be one of the most offensive remarks to all gamers alike. Do you even have an xbox? Stupid to ask actually because everyone knows that answer.

People like this need to actually get that console, and not be so wrapped up to their ignorant and fanboyish minds. I've said this before and i'll say it again. Sony boys? pick up a 360, and you'll see how much it has to offer, Microsoft Boys? pick up a PS3, a you'll see how much it has to offer, Nintendo Boys? Got nothing to say to you, you guys are alright =).

I just wish all fanboys of a particular brand could pick up a competitors product and see what their features have to offer. I guess thats why fanboys whine and make outrageous claims about their competition... because they wish the had the whole range of features that owning multiple products have to offer.... in other words...

THEY'RE JEALOUS...  =)