By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
BBH said:

BBH - 'Sales are moreso just evidence that people buy more consoles when they are cheaper.

Seece - 'Again, no'

I'm not telepathic you know.

- Whatever, can't win an argument on VGChartz.

My apologies, I read that sentance wrong.

You can very well win an argument, but if you come out with something liek this ...

"but the reason why so many pick the 360 instead of the PS3 is because it is cheaper, and the sales are evidence for this."

The whole clutch of your argument is the 360 only sells because it's cheaper than PS3? or have I got that wrong?

Around the Network
Seece said:
BHR-3 said:
Dallinor said:
haxxiy said:
aragod said:
kowenicki said:

In the UK we buy with our heads.... 

The console that gives the biggest punch for the pound is the 360 - so we buy it, its that simple.

No emotional loyalty to bygone days... no sheep like following of trends beyond their natural lives... no xenophobic bias (not that we even make a console! lol)

The UK (with the US) has also been a trend setter for popular culture, you will all follow soon

This is the funniest shit I've seen in ages, thanks god for continental Europe.

I second what Aragod said with every bit of my being.

Yes because other countries have wool pulled over their eyes and need to remove it to step into the intelligent, unbiased and well informed UK gamer's shoes.

It's actually such a ridiculous post. Very arrogant.

Also along the lines of popular culture spreading from America, it's true, but damn it I wish it wasn't.

i fourth that

but i do respect that he's being honest with his opionions and expressing himself on the forums

@seece i do mentioned that 220 is before the discontinued skus and am not counting arcades cause they dont have a HDD and another reason is that kowen mentioned arcades arent the ones that get the majority of the sales

"So before, it was £210 in total, not anywhere near £250"

210 220 sorry i was 10 pound off i was getting numbers from my head 250 is for current new 360S owners

i crearly wrote

"your total is now 250 pound for the new 360S or about 220 for the older skus back before they discontinued them"

can you not read? or do you just like twisting my words around to make me look like the bad guy?

You twist them yourself BHR. Kowen is talking about biggest bang for buck, £160 vs £250 is what you should really be comparing, not accessories to fit your argument. The arcade IS £160 because it doesn't have those accessories.

It's actually £120 now but whatever, looking forward to a Slim arcade around £120

the biggest bang for buck that kowen mentioned wasn't comparing different 360 sku's but the best console

WilliamWatts said:
BHR-3 said:

the main 360 console (20gb 60gb 120gb and now 250gb) has been around 170 to now 200 pounds

factor in a 16 pound recharge kit you'll need at least one of these i hope your not just throwing money down the drain for batteries and another 35 pound for 1yr xbl card i mean its been said that UK is almost like US and loves its FPS in this thread so what else will you be doing with your CODs not just playing its campaign i hope, so most are buying the card 

your total is now 250 pound for the new 360S or about 220 for the older skus back before they discontinued them

the ps3 is now at 250 pound and doesnt require you to buy charging kits for controllers or live cards to play online

i havent even mentioned its free bluray now you tell me which offers better punch for pound

People buy something because they think its worth it, more people think the Xbox 360 is worth more than the PS3 Blu Ray and subscriptions included if thats the case.

they think its worth it but they don't know how better are other things

people think iPHONE is better just because everyone buys it and its so COOL.but is it worth it more than other phones.no its not

MS sees the price as an advantage, but yes the 360 used to have the best library out there, so it can stand toe to toe with any console, plus it has the best  online community of the three.

The issue is, the  360 being the console of choice in the UK. while it does seems the Wii has taken a dive in that region since 2008, the Wii always comes back strong during the holidays though which is why I am not worried.

The PS3 is going to have a tough time competing in the UK agains Kinect, but all it has to do is sells strong and it will be fine.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
BBH said:

My argument is that 360 only sells more because it's cheaper. Hint, the way I've talked about its competitive advantage.

And yes, you did disagree with me on that - go back and read it.

The market is not that naive. It is also very likely that customers sees the value of the xbox 360 over PS3 and hence more sales.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

To help clear up the issue, BBH I think you're speaking mostly in general, whereas Seece is mainly speaking of the recent model. No, the 360S (250GB) model isn't selling more because of price, but value. It's obviously not price, as it's the same price as past Elite models were.

On the talks of why it's selling more than the PS3 in the UK (and US), price is a major role, but so is the library, LIVE, and media capabilities, but price cannot be ignored.

I think the issue is people trying to quantify what aspect accounted more for the 360 sales in UK. Nobody is ignoring price, its just that BBH (in general) is ignoring the potential roles of other aspects that could have equally contributed to the majority of sales of the xbox 360 in UK.

Just thought i would point something out. People keep mentioning if PS3 was same price as 360 the PS3 would sell more.

It is a very valid statement in my opinion.

However you have to understand for the PS3 to be the same price as the 360 it would need to lose some of it's features. Blu-Ray is one of the reasons they cost so much. If you removed Wi-fi and Blu-Ray to make the costs similar it would also remove many reasons why people would want it. Because if 360 and PS3 were basically the exact same spec, same cost etc.. the desirability would be down totally to the games on each platform. In that instance 360 would sell more as big titles seem to do better on it. The sales show that. It is all hyperthetical of course. But the point is while the PS3 has it's current specs it will never be cheaper then 360. To get to that price it would have to lose some of it's features. So you can't say if they were the same price one would outsell the other.

Hyruken said:

Just thought i would point something out. People keep mentioning if PS3 was same price as 360 the PS3 would sell more.

It is a very valid statement in my opinion.

However you have to understand for the PS3 to be the same price as the 360 it would need to lose some of it's features. Blu-Ray is one of the reasons they cost so much. If you removed Wi-fi and Blu-Ray to make the costs similar it would also remove many reasons why people would want it. Because if 360 and PS3 were basically the exact same spec, same cost etc.. the desirability would be down totally to the games on each platform. In that instance 360 would sell more as big titles seem to do better on it. The sales show that. It is all hyperthetical of course. But the point is while the PS3 has it's current specs it will never be cheaper then 360. To get to that price it would have to lose some of it's features. So you can't say if they were the same price one would outsell the other.

they were the same price all of this yr and some of last 120gb vs 120gb at 299 in EU the 120gb elite was cheaper though, and we all saw what the sales looked like for that time, ps3 even outsold 360 in its own territory with npd wins for sep oct and dec would of probably won nov but the 360s cheaper blackfriday sales deals were to much but i think vgc has it ps3 for nov as for jan-may supply was an issue otherwise i believe 360 and ps3 would of sold very close to each other npd wise

fear not next year ps3 will be at a price that it wont matter anymore what MS does

Play Me

Seece said:

So far this year in the UK

X360      433,728   
Wii      480,150   

47k to go, should be the highest selling home console in the UK this year in a couple of weeks.

360 is more popular over here then I believed. 3 people from my work store have new Xbox 360 slim (including myself) and a 4th is saving up for one (security guard lol). We hardly ever talk video games.

360 sells more because its better! Better online and better shooters that Americans and British love! For f*** sake many people perfer 360 over Ps3 MILIONS of MILIONS and im one of those i have a ps3 and i barely play it just for exclusives and nothin more its a dead console in my house AND ITS NOT BECAUSE THAT THAT ITS A BAD CONSOLE because its indeed a GREAT MACHINE With GREAT Games but hey many people perfer 360 Games and Online over Ps3... Deal with that Ps Brand is in pure decline right now... Ps2 sold so much Ps3 is a disaster and will continue to be... Last in Software and HW Sales this Gen plus Bilions of LOST! 360 is a disaster aswell but at least it profits from Xbox Live and Software.

360 >>> Ps3 for Milions of people , live with that. 360 Slim is pure godness its a better value than Ps3 plus has Sky that is huge in UK , ESPN , NetFlix , things like Facebook Last FM and tiwtter Aps also count because casual people like those sort of things! Believe it or not 360 will beat Ps3 this holiday and by a longshot.