By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

Mr Khan said:

To change the course of the thread a bit, i'll bring up a point that TwistedCellz and i have discussed recently, saying that: where the hell is the hype for this? It got a little trailer at E3, the same demo they showed 4 months prior, and Nintendo hasn't really been pitching it to the major media outlets for any sort of review. Even that stuff that CVG was trying to show a few weeks back (before they decided to give up halfway through and delete their trail in the process), was entirely out of the E3 demo.

By comparison, we knew much much more about what Galaxy 2 or NSMBWii would entail by this point in their lifecycles, and certainly far more about what Metroid Prime 3 would be like (though Nintendo treated pre-launch hype differently in those days, so Galaxy 2 and NSMBWii are the better comparisons)

I hope we see some more hype as well.  Nintendo have over a month to fix this, so hopefully we will see something.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Yeah, I'm also a bit concrened about the amount of hype this game has gotten, I guess it's cuz i (personally) don't see anything that cool or special about it. Galaxy 2 was the sequel to the best game of the gen and others like GoW3 were really "cool" by definition (super graphics , killing, decapitation, gore.. etc), Metriod doesn't have much of that so it hasn't gotten much hype from forumers and the gaming media, and in the end, that's the hype that you actually feal, even if Nintendo released more trailers/interviews/screens it wouldn't have that deep of an effect without the intrest and hype generated by the gaming media and forumers

Previous Metroids were more on the cutting edge of their respective times, like remeber how much hype Metroid Prime 1 got, it had the super graphics (for that gen) and new innovative gameplay with never seen before stuff (first 3D Metroid). that game was so hyped and was so good that many consider it the best GC game ever to this day (with it being on the #1 spot of many top GC games lists), this game isn't the same, no cutting edge graphics, nothing really that excitingly new or innovative to really ignite the excitement of the gaming media and forumers, it's only being hyped up by fans of the series

and that (nice big wall of text up there) is why I think this game isn't that hyped up at the moment

EDIT: by the way, i was never really a big fan of the series to begin with, but i'm really interested in this game lol (because of the omission of the first person perspective), how ironic XD

So we have (thanks to dahuman and GameTrailers), footage of the Other M demo from the San Diego Comic-con. Unfortunately its the same demo we've become so familiar with over time, but it shows everything in sequence, including that opening cinematic discussion with the GF Troops.

I had always thought Adam was a Colonel. That is what Fusion said, isn't it?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

^^ From the Nintendo Channel interviews, they indicated that they looked for that quality (at least in the Japanese voice actors and voice acting), because Samus isn't very good at interpersonal relationships and such, which definitely keeps with the image of her conceived up to this point.

KylieDog said:

Saw the latest gameplay vid on GT.   The movement speed just seems so off, its what you would expect from the Speed Booster power.

Voice acting from Samus seemed a bit off too, its like someone is just reading from a script without changing tone or showing any emotion.  But at least it exists.

Bad voice acting is worse than no voice acting. Bad lines are worse than no lines. This is not progress, this is bullshit.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

^^ From the Nintendo Channel interviews, they indicated that they looked for that quality (at least in the Japanese voice actors and voice acting), because Samus isn't very good at interpersonal relationships and such, which definitely keeps with the image of her conceived up to this point.

"His words... pierced my heart". Sounds just like the Samus I imagined...

Demotruk said:
KylieDog said:

Saw the latest gameplay vid on GT.   The movement speed just seems so off, its what you would expect from the Speed Booster power.

Voice acting from Samus seemed a bit off too, its like someone is just reading from a script without changing tone or showing any emotion.  But at least it exists.

Bad voice acting is worse than no voice acting. Bad lines are worse than no lines. This is not progress, this is bullshit.

I agree with you in principle but I do not mind what is going down with Metroid, here.

Demotruk said:
Mr Khan said:

"His words... pierced my heart". Sounds just like the Samus I imagined...

I'll grant that line was out there on the melodramatic side, but the rest of them largely seemed to fit. The reaction was right, but the line was wrong.

KylieDog said:
Demotruk said:
KylieDog said:

No it isn't.  Nothing like ruining a cinematic moment with a wall of text.  The original Resident Evil has terrible voice acting yet is well loved because of it.

Who said anything about a wall of text or cinematic moments? Metroid was doing ok before without either of those.

Hey Demotruk, I'm curious: what do you think it would indicate if I win the latter half of our bet?