By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

Qays said:

But that's not what matters at all. What matters is the following point: was it worth buying to the people who are worth listening to?

wtf is that have to do with Metroid

and what matter is The Appeal of a Game, gamers buy games that are appealing to them.

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

The Top  Best Consoles Are SNES and PSX 

Currently Playing: 1.Monster Hunter tri 2.MegaMan 10

Around the Network

wtf is that have to do with Metroid

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm not a moderator or anything, but I'd strongly advise that this discussion be moved to some other place, like someone's wall for example.

And while I'm here, I'll just post this:

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

KylieDog said:

The market does not decide if somethign is outdated or not.  if everyone suddenly run out and started buying VHS players again would VHS suddenly not be an outdated tech?  No.

ur probably right but its not the same with games

Nowadays plenty people think sprites are outdated but alot of gamers still feel sprites are better than 3d models for fighting games and and pretty much anything that is sidescroller

p

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

Qays said:

But that's not what matters at all. What matters is the following point: was it worth buying to the people who are worth listening to?

How does one determine who is worth listening to? Are you implying that there is an objective standard for subjective value metrics, or that value metrics themselves are objective, or that people with a given value metric should listen only to people who share that value metric (bordering on tautology with this one), or that certain value metrics are invalid?

Gamerace said:

I must say, I never played the original Metroid games (going to get them on VC prior to M:OM) and never cared for the Prime series despite owning Prime and Prime 3.  Neither my son nor I could ever get into them.   But M:oM really has me excited.   I love the quick, fast arcade 2d Metroid style mixed with FPS elements and the cinematic story.  

I'm a more casual player, and I find this, to me, looks to be a very fun and accessible game to play.    I could see this appealing to a lot of people outside of Metroid fans, if they know of it and if they actually get their hands on it to see how fun and accessible it is.

I felt the same way. I have Prime 3 but i never really 'got into it' either, this game really got me interested from the start :)

Around the Network

http://metroid-database.com/?p=newsarch&id=329

Sorry, there's the source for cutscenes not being skippable, I haven't been on this thread since.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Khuutra said:
Qays said:

How does one determine who is worth listening to? Are you implying that there is an objective standard for subjective value metrics, or that value metrics themselves are objective, or that people with a given value metric should listen only to people who share that value metric (bordering on tautology with this one), or that certain value metrics are invalid?

I would like an answer as to the course of this conversation. From what I gather, this ignoramus introduced the debate of 'quality' following Rol's assertion that 'the market decides what is outdated' - with the hidden premises that 'the market decides what the market wants' and 'what the market wants is not outdated' - which is a simplification, but none the less a different claim than that which was inferred.

Of course, it is a common fallacy to equate the trends of the market with quality (simply replace 'outdated' with 'quality' and the form of the argument remains the same) but this did not happen in this case.

On topic; I really must say I've grown to appreciate this game more and more. While I still have reservations as regards everything from combat, to aesthetics, to controls, I'm still impressed with the brisk pacing of the gameplay coupled with the atmospheric cinematic qualities (which is always impressive given an interactive context). Whether the direction is a good one or not, I think the designers did a competent job bringing it to life in this game.

Demotruk said:

http://metroid-database.com/?p=newsarch&id=329

Sorry, there's the source for cutscenes not being skippable, I haven't been on this thread since.

Look at it this way: you'll have time to watch an entire Star Wars movie in bits and pieces while those 2 hours of cutscenes scroll by :P

Anyway, while i was inclined to believe that it was the case (unskippable in first playthrough), we can't take anything from a demo like this as definitive, especially in this case.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
KylieDog said:

Thats an empty example, because if VHS players DID start selling the tech would still be outdated, same as many Nintendo games are.  Nintendo games always get special treatment where Wii owners for example will complain about one game not having VA or cutscenes then not hold the next Nintendo game to the same criticism.

You made me consider the possibility that my interpretation of the word "outdated" is wrong and that's why this argument isn't settled yet. So I looked it up on dictionary.com.

–adjective

no longer in use or fashionable; out-of-date; outmoded; antiquated.
Turns out I wasn't wrong about its definition. Which means you are 100 % wrong in calling games with little to no cutscenes outdated. There's no way around it. You are wrong.

I can see his point if it comes to pure technological aspects (like in VHS-DVD example), i.e. being outdated equals to being technologically inferior regardless of success on the market, though to some extent pretty much everything on the market may be considered outdated the day it became available. But the argument doesn't hold water if it's applied to entertainment, which games are, since there're no objective scale to measure such things which isn't the case with forementioned example (quality of video output and most other features could be objectively measured).

But even being treated purely like technology I can't see how lack of VA and cutscenes may be considered outdated in games. The most common example of using VA and cutscenes in games is to tell a story, but I can't see how games could be solely appreciated thanks to their stories and nothing else. Even if they could be appreciated that way there're no direct relation between presumably bad story (or at least the one that lacks VA and cutscenes) in game and being 'inferior', there're no objective measure for such things. In fact, I doubt anyone would insist that lack VA and  cutscenes  automatically implies bad story, since you may as well assume that literature is always inferior to cinema since tools it uses are 'technologicaly inferior' to VA and cutscenes.

All in all trying to present VA and cutscenes as superior to anything is fallacious, since there're no directly comparable things that may be deemed as absolutely inferior in every aspect possible, if ain't superior you can't argue that lack of them makes games outdated.

ok now everybody here talkin about whats outdated or not,gotta GTFO and start a thread about it.

If you dont buy a game for the reason that you think is outdated then I dont know what kind of gamer you are cuz games like Dragon Quest are still sellin crazy in japan, NSMBW is best platformer I've played since super mario world.

@KylieDog As a Resident evil fan myself I dont give f***  about people sayin games are outdated but if I'd care I wouldnt have RE5 avatar cuz as 3rd person shooter RE5 feels pretty much outdated.