By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Next Round of Price Cuts

Voyager4DK said:
My guess would be that, the Xbox 360 would see price cuts arround 1. April 2008.
HD-DVD drive from $179.99 to $149.99
Xbox 360 Arcade from $279.99 -> $229.99
Xbox 360 Premium from $349.99 -> $299.99
Xbox 360 Elite from $449.99 -> $399.99

Playstation 3, will first get pricecuts fall 2008:
PS3 40GB from $399 -> $349
PS3 40GB from $499 -> $449

If Wii gets one the at then fall 2008
Wii from $249 -> $199
   *Sigh....Only if the demand is completely dead and not just slowed down.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network
regin2005 said:
Voyager4DK said:
My guess would be that, the Xbox 360 would see price cuts arround 1. April 2008.
HD-DVD drive from $179.99 to $149.99
Xbox 360 Arcade from $279.99 -> $229.99
Xbox 360 Premium from $349.99 -> $299.99
Xbox 360 Elite from $449.99 -> $399.99

Playstation 3, will first get pricecuts fall 2008:
PS3 40GB from $399 -> $349
PS3 40GB from $499 -> $449

If Wii gets one the at then fall 2008
Wii from $249 -> $199
*Sigh....Only if the demand is completely dead and not just slowed down.

No, demand only has to be>supply. And it could be. Nintendo is pushing more and more and I think they will do it, just to get more Wii's out next christmas. By then the Wii has such a massive ammount of Hardware out, it can't be ignored by third parties.

3rd Parties aren't totally ignoring the Wii, a lot of games are coming out for it. However they are looking a year or two down the line and what they expect the market to look like.

Vote for Ron Paul 2008

Only Anti-War and Anti-Taxes Republican

Freedom is a message everyone can embrace!

I have said before that I expect the PS3 to have another price cut in the first 6 months of the year, most likely coinciding with the release of one of the hot new games. I only suspect it will be about a $50 cut all around the board.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:
I have said before that I expect the PS3 to have another price cut in the first 6 months of the year, most likely coinciding with the release of one of the hot new games. 
Not very likely. They don't have so much room to drop their prices, because they already more or less fixed the price of one major component: The Cell processor. There will be no smaller Cells because they already dropped out of the development and sold their manufacturing plant. While there might be smaller, more effective Cells they will no longer be designed for the PS-3.

Around the Network

At $399 & $499 the PS3 is positioned pretty well until the next holidays. However there is a bit of pricing pressure on the 360, more so with THREE SKU's.

I'd love to see something like,
360 Arcade :: $199
360 Pro :: $249
360 Elite :: $299

But thats still a ways away.

Vote for Ron Paul 2008

Only Anti-War and Anti-Taxes Republican

Freedom is a message everyone can embrace!

Well MS seems to be interested in making a profit, so I don't see a price cut until summer. Sony won't cut the price for a while because they can't afford it and they're probably betting that the stronger line-up next year will help push system sales.

Nintendo would be idiotic to drop the price since stores can't even keep the system in stock. Maybe next fall if Wii sales plummet to under 30K a week.

Something I might add: The next price round could be bigger in CA, Europe, Japan then the US: The dollar is falling, pretty fast and pretty hard, and it has been falling since month.

These things get produced in China, and there currency is more or less binded to Dollars. If the Dollar keeps falling like it is now, I would guess the prices in Europe will fall across the board pretty soon.

GRAIV is going to be a huge event. It's the biggest game of last generation, and I don't see its sales dropping much if at all this generation. It is going to be the biggest game that the Xbox360 and PS3 will have.

As such, expect both companies to make their consoles as attractive as possible to the GTA crowd. That means Microsoft will definitely do a price drop before the launch, and Sony will have to follow suit. MS will probably lop off another $50, no idea for Sony, though.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Just_Ben said:
Something I might add: The next price round could be bigger in CA, Europe, Japan then the US: The dollar is falling, pretty fast and pretty hard, and it has been falling since month.

These things get produced in China, and there currency is more or less binded to Dollars. If the Dollar keeps falling like it is now, I would guess the prices in Europe will fall across the board pretty soon.
About Europe, it won't happen the way you think actually. The reason is that the games and consoles we get aren't sold to retailers based on the rate of the dollar. If it were, 60$ games from the US would cost me 150 zloty in Poland, yet they cost 250 or maybe sometimes more. Companies like Nintendo, MS and Sony have traffic prices for most parts of the world, based on how much people earn, and what price is considered to be acceptable. That's why there is such a difference in pricing all around the world. Of course the other option is that companies want to milk some countries which have money to spare. All in all, only wii games have become quite reasonable in terms of pricing. A new 50$ Wii game costs in Poland some 70$, which would be below 200 zl, and that's the price that seems good, not great, but good actually. 

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting.