By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Next Round of Price Cuts

darkfire001 said:

When and how much do you guys think the next round of price cuts will be? Its already clear that there is some pricing pressure on Microsoft to drop the Xbox 360 price in springtime to stay competitive. Its obviously selling well because of the good slate of games and some pricing edge against the PS3 and Wii, as well as some momentum, but its definitely slowing down in Europe big time and this could be a slow spring in America as well if Microsoft doesn't stay active with price cuts.

When spring rolls around Microsoft will finally be selling entirely the new less RROD-prone Xbox's, which are also cheaper so they should still be making a profit. I think they will do the following this spring.

Phase out the Xbox 360 Arcade bundle.

Xbox 360 Pro $350 >> $250

Xbox 360 Elite $450 >> $300

Pretty drastic cuts, but those wouuld really spur some sales. I think Nintendo would hold strong on pricing if sales are still going along well enough, maybe drop the Wii to $199 eventually. Sony would hold strong.

They recently dropped prices, and recently produced the arcade model why the hell would they phase it out?

Around the Network

I could see Nintendo dropping the price of the Wii or bundling it with Wii Fit (or another game) around mid 2008 ... The move would not be to 'increase demand' as much as it would be to lower the barrier of entry for new gamers entering the market; as little as $250 seems to the core gamer it is a huge price for someone who isn't normally interested in gaming to pay for a console.

To the OP: I think $250 is a little too low for the Pro. I expect to see it drop to $299 when GTAIV hits but would prefer to see $199/$279/$349 price points. If MS is able to get 65nm GPUs in spring or early summer, it could happen.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I think that Microsoft will lower the price of the 360 near the launch of GTA4. They will lower the premium to $300, the elite to $400 and the arcade to $250.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music

Nintendo can financially drop its price because as said they are still gaining money.

But, if Nintendo lowers the price below the 200$ mark -right now- the sells will probably drop. Most buyers are "casual" and in that case, a console at a low price = crap. Their psychological price is just right as it is. 250$. Maybe 200$ or a bundle for any calendar events. The sub 200$ mark will be hit in let's say 2 years.

End of 2008 (31 dec.) prediction :

Wii : 53.5 Million

PS3 : 24 Million

X360 : 27 Million

Prediction started January 1st 2008.

Around the Network
Lulive said:

Nintendo can financially drop its price because as said they are still gaining money.

But, if Nintendo lowers the price below the 200$ mark -right now- the sells will probably drop. Most buyers are "casual" and in that case, a console at a low price = crap. Their psychological price is just right as it is. 250$. Maybe 200$ or a bundle for any calendar events. The sub 200$ mark will be hit in let's say 2 years.

That didn't make too much sense, cheaper products are more casual friendly(mass market appeal). I predict we will see a 250/300/350 price points with the 360 somewhere on the Q2 2008(calendar) and a 350/450 for Sony PS3 on the same time, the wii will probably remain at 250$ until Q3 2008 when we will see a 50$ price cut.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

I don't deny a GTAIV price drop to lessen success on PS3, but a drop of 100-150 bucks is too much, maybe fifty on the elite, 20 on premium, 30 on arcade to get it to Wii Price

MS will get the Arcade down to $199 for GTA IV launch.

I suspect the Premium will go to $299 and Elite to $379.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

Does anyone have a link as to the estimated costs of making a PS3, Wii and 360?

Thanks

The Arcade is not going anywhere.
And there's no way the Pro is dropping to $250 next year.

But the Arcade will be $250 by the time GTA IV is released.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick