By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix doesn't understand why US gamers don't like turn-based battles

Why the F**K do they give a shit what US gamers think or want (Halo halo blah blah halo shooting stuff is fun yay!) ...

I mean there audience is Japan ... and crazy people ( hello me here!).

Also what turn based game are they talking about ... might want to try it.

It isn't FF XIII is it ? That was not turn based!

Around the Network

I also prefer turn-based myself. He is right on the strategy aspect- at least, when a game is done right. And this is where S-E is failing. They're not putting enough strategy into their turn systems. Yes, I can button-mash in most of the later FF games. But if I do that in other quality turn-based systems, like the prior mentioned Persona, I'm prolly going to be screwed.

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy a good action-RPG, though. The problem is that for most of those, the "strategy" comes down to either mashing a button to stun the enemy, continue mashing to kill, or exploiting the bad AI. It's really more finger-twitching, since I find that it's harder to get a game that does this style of fight well. Not to mention that since the fights also take longer, for me, they feel more tedious, and are more disturbing to the game flow.

What I'd love to see, is a cross of something like Secret of Mana, done with Persona's push battle system. Only by using their weakness can you stun an enemy, and likewise, you have weaknesses that can stun you. But the fights would still flow seamlessly into the game, and that's an important aspect.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

I love turn based games. I absolutely love them.

I would've hated Golden Sun if it was an action RPG. I recently replayed through it (yeah I know, my backlog is still huge and I'm replaying games I have beaten) and it was totally awesome! Even if it was turn based, it was also fast paced and I'm done with battles in less than two minutes.

I love puzzles and turn-based is the closest genre between the both of them.

There's just much more challenge and satisfaction when you succeed.

But I don't think SE has the right to say such a thing this gen. They haven't release any good turn-based game (except DQIX maybe).

WIzarDE said:

Also what turn based game are they talking about ... might want to try it.

It isn't FF XIII is it ? That was not turn based!

FF Tactics?

Around the Network

One of my favorite battle systems was in Eternal Sonata.  It's a great combination of real-time and turn-based combat, and the battle system actually changes and becomes more complex as the game goes on.  Personally, I loved the combat in that game and hope to see more games along this line in the future.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

I prefer Action RPGS like:

Crisis Core

Fallout

White Knight Chronicles

FFXII (the battles are awesome, but the protagonist was GAY)

FFXIII (battles are great, but I dont like the fact that the fights take place in a limited area)

Dragon Age

Alpha Protocol.

Soriku said:
kowenicki said:

I disagree with your last sentence.

Define skill.

In most (not all) turn based games you can deal with all your woes by just leveling up. In action RPGs that isn't totally necessary. Of course leveling up will help, but what about those people who do things like lvl 1 or low level fights in action RPGs. You can't do that in turn based games.

Lol xD what do you mean you can't do that in turn based games? :P

Did you know that there is a Low level challenge you can do in... Final Fantasy VIII? you can finish the game (almost) without leveling up.

Did you know that you can finish Final Fantasy IX without leveling up? you can even beat ozma on level 1 :S

Did you know that you can finish Final Fantasy XII doing a low level challenge? like the 122333 low level challenge?

And I'm not sure, but I think you can also finish Final Fantasy XIII without leveling up anything in your Crystarium :S

And I think you can also do a Low level challenge in Final Fantasy VI too... Don't know about the rest.

If you need to level up in those games to beat a boss, it's because the player lacks the skills to beat him and needs his characters to make up for his lack of skills to beat the bosses in the game :P

The point is, you can do the same in both Turn based JRPGs and Action JRPGs. =P

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

I don't get action RPGs at alllllll and button spamming all the way and the only skill you need is a thumb that doesn't have a tongue to complain about how much you use him.

Devil may cry requires more skills and I consider it the superior action RPG, Kingdom hearts doesn't come close.

I personally prefer turn based rpgs. Actually, I think I enjoy SRPG the most. But in the end, what is really important is not wheter the rpg is turn-based or not, but if it is fun to play and if it, still after many hours of gameplay, allow you to keep growing and manages to still be challenging.

I loved Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy VII, Tales of Symphonia (my first entry on the series), Persona 4, Fire Emblem RD and Fallout 3, just to call some names of rpgs that had pretty different battle systems, but all were compelling for some reason.