By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Last Story trailer FINALLY HERE!

Severance said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

Amazing graphics...considering its on Wii...

but the last 30 seconds of the trailer made me remember why I don't like JRPGs much.

cheesy songs/humming sequences are one of the reasons. Its awkward to play in front of other people when things like that happen.

Do you play games to show off your manlyhood or something?

Uh....no...

I'm just saying that things like that are pretty awkward to play through when another person walks by the TV...not just RPGs.

Examples - 

Recently playing God of War 1 when Calliope screams "DADDY!" since when did Ancient greek people call their father "daddy" ?

MGS4 - Pretty much every scene that includes Akiba

And many more....JRPGs have more of those moments...

Soriku said:

Well what other reasons don't you play RPGs?

The style of gameplay doesn't interest me much in most JRPGs....thats right, I do play WRPGs....actually no....that was a lie too...the only RPG series I like is Fable.

The stories include a lot of awkward moments like that in the trailer in most and would have been so much better without them.

I don't like repeatedly fighting a certain type of enemy to level up.

FF X-2

But I really want to try them more. Are there any PS3 JRPGs that don't have awkward moments and is a good place to start for JRPG noobs ?

routsounmanman said:

Then don't. What are nerd basements for?

I don't have a nerd basement

Around the Network

@GodOfWar_3ever Haven't played it myself, but I hear Demon's Souls is pretty good, but it certainly isn't for noobs.

Nevermind. I'll just go sit in the corner.

Ninpanda said:

@GodOfWar_3ever

Haven't played it myself, but I hear Demon's Souls is pretty good, but it certainly isn't for noobs.

Demons Souls isn't a JRPG now, is it ?

And I like a good challenge....by JRPG noob, I meant I was relaively new to JRPGs and haven't played them much.

I think the scope of the world(or at least the city) is my favorite part. I do hope there is quite a bit of exploration then, if that is representative of what the rest of the game will be. The battle system actually appeals to me quite a bit. I do hope you can control all of the characters that you see in some way. A bit of strategy could be implemented. Actually, if you go to :58 it looks as if there is an overview feature, which could be "paused", like you would find in some Wrpgs like Dragon Age for example. I'd definitely like that in combination of a more action approach. As for the graphics, they definitely are of a high quality, and heavily reminiscent of Lost Odyssey. If the story is up to par with Lost Odyssey's then I'll be happy. This is definitely a good start with the trailer, which is well designed in my opinion, and shows quite a bit of what I want to see. 

spdk1 said:

wow, that looks awesome, Nintendo better bring this game over to the states.  Even small details like the reaction to walking past someone and having your arm be bumped back is staggering, great games like MH3 on the wii even left small details like that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QBe43tyVM

Around the Network
theARTIST0017 said:
The only reason I would say I'm more excited for Xenoblade is its being made by Monolith and they are amazing when it comes to music. Well at least in the Baten Kaitos games. But yeah I don't know a lot about this game either so thats another reason why. 

Its not really Monolith. Sakuraba(Tales, Star Ocean) did Baten Kaitos and Shimomura(Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve) did Xenoblade. So yea, different composer than other Monolith games.

Well, for me, its already Last Story > Xenoblade since I never liked Xenoblade's battle system. And I didn't expect so much hate on the humming. I like to hum too >.<

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

even though its quite a greyish setting i love the style of the game. Sometimes too much colour in rpg's give off the wrong vibe... and in saying that i love the art style. Kind of reminds me of vagrant story which i love alot of fond memories of.

Also the combat looks very interesting. Confined spaces with a stealth duck and cover mechanic... looks fun.

I'm just hoping the story is amazing because thats what makes or breaks a good rpg for me. If Lost Odyessey is anything to go by then i'm sure the story line will be good.

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

That battle system looks aweson, oh and it has towns take that ff13, how come this game has hate over a silly thing like humming??

This game looks awesome, a new genre is born stealth rpg!!! FF RIP long live Last Story hurrah!!

I loved that trailer. The battle system looks really fun, and for the most part the characters don't seem too jRPG-typical. The towns look awesome, and from what I've seen they're massive. Hopefully they are also highly interactive, not just superficially realistic.

The graphics are very nice, if a bit drab. jRPG's are typically too colourful, so I can't say I mind much.

I don't see much of the "player still in control during cutscenes" thing, which is disappointing, but I was never even sure what he meant by that. Hopefully the game takes a narrative-light approach, as clearly it won't be narrative-free.

The humming did seem really corny, and yes I'm disappointed this is yet another game that I probably can't play with other people in the room. My Wii is in the living room, I bought it as a social console. Then there's the reality that Japanese corniness is a big turn-off for much of the market, so is Western corniness (Red Steel 2 cut scenes were so bad I had to stop playing it with others around). If it turns out like that, sales will be limited to the typical audience.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

NEED CLEAN PANTS!

That was awesome!!!