By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Atheists on the rise in America

FootballFan said:
leatherhat said:

Being atheist is so edgy, all the cool kids are doing it

Where is live all the "cool" kids go to church every sunday.

Seriously?  I've met maybe... 1 kid who thought going to Church was cool... and he wanted to be a Ministor when he grew up.

That was it.  For people in the US, church is largely a giant burden dreaded by all kids.

England is freaking weird.  I mean, in the US kids would rather be playing videogames or basketball or something.

All my friends thought I was lucky as hell because I never went to church as a kid.

Around the Network
Farmageddon said:
Kasz216 said:
Farmageddon said:

I don't think that would make much sense. I mean, if 71% of people are Christians, and assuming they are randomly spread and the desire to get into each school is randomly spread, 71% of applications would be from Christians and 29% from outside. Your reasoning means it would be MUCH easier for a non-christian to get in there. Which makes little sense, seeing as they have a right to reserve for christians. Besides, if 49% of people there were non-christians, I think the guy who studies there would know and wouldn't imply it works differently from the way you're supposing it does, don't you think?

Also, on Universities with "quotas", saying x% is reserved for y group means what I said earlier, so I think it's just natural for them to use the same terminology

Except... your ignoring the fact that there very well may be quotas for other religions too.

Also, that you have no actual proof of said quotas.

I'm not sure I get what you mean by the bolded part, but I never said I had actual proof for anything anyway. And you don't have either :P

I was just talking about quotas to illustrate how it works in other circunstances.

And even if they actually had a "non-christian quota", 49% would be just ridiculous on a 29% non-christian place. Moreover, when you have quotas, you have a reserved percentage only a given group can apply to, but said group also runs for the "universal" part of the applications, so they can actually go over their "49%" but never (unless there's simply not enough of them, which is hard when there's any considerable competition) less than those "49%".

But a non-christian quota makes little sense unless non-christians there actually have much lower living standards for some reason.

Anwyay, I really think he'd know if half his classmates were not christians.

It makes as much sense as having a Christian quota... also, chances are they DO have a much lower standard of living.  At least that's how it seems to work in other Europeon countries.  France for example.

The point is, a 51% quota is largely meaningless, since statistically at least 51% of the school body would be majority Christian anyway...

You don't "pick which spots" you run for or anything... so if the school is atleast 52% Christian, then you know the Quota was meaningless.    The only way such a quota would be enforced would be if infact 49% of the school was non christian.

Which like you said... he'd know.  So such a quota is meanginless.   It'd be like if the US had a quota that 10% of all college students must be white.

10% of all college students are going to be white anyway.  It's dumb, but it's also meaningless.

Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:
leatherhat said:

Seriously?  I've met maybe... 1 kid who thought going to Church was cool... and he wanted to be a Ministor when he grew up.

That was it.  For people in the US, church is largely a giant burden dreaded by all kids.

England is freaking weird.  I mean, in the US kids would rather be playing videogames or basketball or something.

All my friends thought I was lucky as hell because I never went to church as a kid.

We're not weird, trust me. The few kids I know that still go to church hate it as much as I and every kid I knew did. I used to stay with my grandparents on a Saturday night and have to go to church on the Sunday morning. I soon changed it to stay on Fridays instead and haven't been back to church since except for weddings and funerals.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:
leatherhat said:

We're not weird, trust me. The few kids I know that still go to church hate it as much as I and every kid I knew did. I used to stay with my grandparents on a Saturday night and have to go to church on the Sunday morning. I soon changed it to stay on Fridays instead and haven't been back to church since except for weddings and funerals.

Ah good, I was starting to think I was out of touch.

Kasz216 said:

It makes as much sense as having a Christian quota... also, chances are they DO have a much lower standard of living.  At least that's how it seems to work in other Europeon countries.  France for example.

The point is, a 51% quota is largely meaningless, since statistically at least 51% of the school body would be majority Christian anyway...

You don't "pick which spots" you run for or anything... so if the school is atleast 52% Christian, then you know the Quota was meaningless.    The only way such a quota would be enforced would be if infact 49% of the school was non christian.

Which like you said... he'd know.  So such a quota is meanginless.   It'd be like if the US had a quota that 10% of all college students must be white.

10% of all college students are going to be white anyway.  It's dumb, but it's also meaningless.

They may have a lower standard of living, nut by much lower I do mean MUCH lower :)

Here we have quotas on universities, pretty much all of them, and that's how it works. Someone who has a right for the quota will be running for that share as well as the universal share. If you hav eno rght to nay quota you only run for the universal share. Which means it's much easier for someone with quotas to get in, even when the percentage is low. At a high percentage and with small competition, it would get even easier. I'm supposing it works the same way as it does in these cases because that actually makes  a difference and also fits better with his implication, thus making more sense instead of being completelly useless. I guess the only sure way to know is if he tells us which one it is.

Around the Network

We have Church of England schools where 100% of the pupils are Muslim. The Church of England continue to build schools in areas where they know the majority of pupils will be Muslim because they are "in it for the long haul".

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Farmageddon said:
Kasz216 said:

They may have a lower standard of living, nut by much lower I do mean MUCH lower :)

Here we have quotas on universities, pretty much all of them, and that's how it works. Someone who has a right for the quota will be running for that share as well as the universal share. If you hav eno rght to nay quota you only run for the universal share. Which means it's much easier for someone with quotas to get in, even when the percentage is low. At a high percentage and with small competition, it would get even easier. I'm supposing it works the same way as it does in these cases because that actually makes  a difference and also fits better with his implication, thus making more sense instead of being completelly useless. I guess the only sure way to know is if he tells us which one it is.

Er... are you sure how it works... because... if I'm understanding you... that makes no sense.

How it works... at least in the US and every other system i've seen... your quotas are the first spots filled.  For example if you had a quota that your school pf 100 needs to be 10% asian...  the smartest  10 asians would fill your 10% quota.

From there the rest of the asians are moved into the pool for universal shares.

Its the only way i've ever heard of quotas working... heck it's the only way quotas can work.  Otherwise it's not a quota.

Though admittidly England is weird.  I mean, i'm pretty sure they have 100% muslim schools.

Really religious diversity in schools have been shown to greatly increase academic output.

kitler53 said:

i am atheist and i view it as my religion.  Now I agree Christians have been dicks about pushing their religion on others, but so have atheists.  Muslims too actually.

Basically, more than anything I believe in the freedom of religion and wish all side did as well.

I hate it when people try and push their beliefs on me. A lot of my friends are atheist but I myself am a Catholic. I go about respecting other people's views because I sure wouldn't like it if someone told me that my beliefs are wrong.

God is a concept. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

Kasz216 said:
FootballFan said:
leatherhat said:

Sorry about that I was being sarcastic...Chruches are virtually empty these days...if it wasn't for the graveyards in some of them then more would get closed down around where I live. In my area for sure their are more Atheists but that's probably to do with good education and having one of the best universities in England

I don't no a single person who goes to chruch. For the record I know more people that go to Mosques and Sikh (temples?) but that's probabaly not suprising.