By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First 1/2 of 2010 is over: what are the Game of the Year Contenders so far?

My favorite so far would be ME2 followed by Alan Wake. Both games are simply amazing but ME2 gave me more playtime.

Around the Network

I'm gonna go with Mass Effect 2, Monster Hunter Tri, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and God of War 3. Though the only two games I've really played this year because they're just too good are ME2 and MHTri.

My new personal favorite is Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. The replay value in this game is just amazing with a new unlockable play mode, three difficulties with different enemy and boss patterns plus two player co-op is too fun! Also, a leaderboard me and my bro just completely dominate (where's the hardcore crowd on the Wii I wonder...).

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Khuutra said:
d21lewis said:
CGI-Quality said:

From a personal standpoint, my answer should be obvious, because it did what I expected it to do and then some, not to mention really proving there IS a market for that type of experience.

Knowing my personal game won't win and without it's existence, my answer would easily have been God of War III! Never before have I played a game so polished, on as grand of a visual scale, or as technically satisfying. From the boss battles, to the varrious types of weapons, I was hooked from start to finish and I wasn't even a big GOW fan before it.

Looks like I'm going to have to quit being stubborn and give GoW3 a shot.  I never played GoW2 and I was a little underwhelmed by Gow1 but CGI tends to know what he's talking about.  I guess GoW3 is my next big gaming purchase (after I buy a few cheap PSP games from the PSN).

God of War III is pretty great, though I don't guarantee you'll like it if you didn't like the first.

If you didn't get very far into the first, though, then you'll be almost totally unacclimated to the kind of spectacle that the game throws at you. Your head may blow up.

-I beat GoW1 but I didn't get it until a year after it came out.  Maybe that had something to do with it.  I'm gonna grab the collection (only $30) when I get GoW3.  I hate missing out on part of a story.

so far 3 are in the running: Mass Effect 2 and God of War 3 being the main two, and I just want to through in Final Fantasy XIII because I'm a RPG fan

EDIT: change that to four, Heavy Rain is my darkhorse

EDIT2: change that to 5, Red Dead Redemption 

MAG for me, pretty much all I play.

Around the Network

Mass Effect 2. I'm on my fourth playthrough. Great game. Great depth.

God Of War 3...Easily, the most epic game this gen. it accomplish a Great level in every aspect of the game from Gameplay, Story, Sound, Design, to the best graphics this year.... all of it is great...

my runner up is Mass Effect 2, probably the best RPG this gen.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

God of War 3

Heavy Rain

Red Dead Redeption

These are the 3 best games i have played all year. FF13 does not deserve to be called a FF game.

I am routing for God of War though tbh. I think it is the better game of the three

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

God of War III and Heavy Rain,  nothing else I have played has even compared to these games.    I havent played Mass Effect 2 so I cant comment but I didnt like the first one,  but from the praise it gets I am sure its a worthy contender. 

Mass Effect 2

Starcraft 2 (Beta)

Both these games were AWESOME!! However i think Starcraft II will take GOTY overall

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!