By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First 1/2 of 2010 is over: what are the Game of the Year Contenders so far?

This isn't a place to argue about what games are or are not awesome.

This isn't about one system's library versus another. If you're coming in here to argue about that, to wave around your big e-peen, then turn around and walk out. You're not welcome, be you a supporter of Mario, of Kratos, or of the Chief. None of that in here.

It occurred to me that this will be the first year during which I have access to all three primary home consoles, so in theory I should be able to play each of the best games this year. A neat thought.

So, what games that you've played so far are early GOTY contenders for you?

I intend to play as many as I can.

This is my list so far (no real order):

Bayonetta (completed all difficulties, though not all Alfheim portals)
God of War III (my first Platinum)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (242 stars get)
Mass Effect 2 (will probably be the first game I get all achievements in)

Lay yours on the table.

If you could expand on your reasons for why you picked each game, that would be great.

Around the Network

For me, I think it's Heavy Rain or FFXIII.

Boutros said:

For me, I think it's Heavy Rain or FFXIII.

Interesting. Could you expand on that a bit? I plan to play both, but I love hearing people's reasoning

(I didn't list mine because the OP would have been very long and self-indulgent at that point)

God of war 3,heavy rain

For me it's what Kuuthra said plus Red Dead pretty much(although i haven't played bayonnetta yet so, I can't say anything about that)

Around the Network

Sadly I didn't get much time to play games this year so far.

The only 3 games I bought and played are:

- God of War III
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Super Street Fighter IV

Out of the 3, I think Final Fantasy XIII is my GOTY so far. They are all great games, but RPG's are my favorite types of games.

At some point, something must have come from nothing...

...nothing can come from nothing...

Console contenders:

• Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii);
  • God of War III (PS3);
  • Heavy Rain (PS3);
  • Mass Effect 2 (360);
  • Red Dead Redemption (PS3/360);

Note that I'm not counting games which will be released on the second half of 2010. Now, for the handhelds side:

• Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver (DS);
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP);

These are the only ones I can remember by now. Please correct me if I forgot something on the list (from the first half, of course).

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

seeing as you already siad SMG2(though that is one of my favorites this year...and this gen)....

Monster Hunter Tri.

These are the 2010 games I played: Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, Metro 2033, God of War III, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Bioshock 2, Patchwork Heroes, Final Fantasy XIII

Only Mass Effect 2 would really be a goty contender. Runner up could be Bioshock 2.

And in contrary to Boutros I thought both Heavy Rain and especially FFXIII sucked.

I haven't played many new games this year so it is hard for me to say, God Of War 3 is up there for me.