By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bad news for Sony, good News for Nintendo

Cheebee said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

I think the majority of people, everywhere, would prefer cheaper TV's over expensive ones, and goggles-free 3D instead of forced goggles... It's a no-brainer.

but would they want big screen movies,sports and full games on a small screen

no they won't

Of course you know this for a fact.

Anyway, thanks for bringing stuff into the mix that I never even remotely mentioned in the first place. XD

not for a fact but just discusiing

but you would like to dump a 40' screen and watch movies,,,,play games on small screen

good for you

no sports though and no big screen.i will take them

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

I think the majority of people, everywhere, would prefer cheaper TV's over expensive ones, and goggles-free 3D instead of forced goggles... It's a no-brainer.

no they won't

Anyway, thanks for bringing stuff into the mix that I never even remotely mentioned in the first place. XD

but you would like to dump a 40' screen and watch movies,,,,play games on small screen

good for you

I think the argument here has nothing to do with whether someone claims to prefer watching 3D content on a little hand held screen or a 40" or larger display, but whether they want to pump NIntendo's current take on 3D as the solution "everyone" will want. 

Frankly, I have to say that anyone who claims they'd dump the big screen viewing experience for a pocket sized one is being disingenous at best.

Personally, I don't even like watching 2D movies on my PSP or iPhone unless that happens to be the ONLY way I can watch under current circumstances.

greenmedic88 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

no they won't

good for you

I think the argument here has nothing to do with whether someone claims to prefer watching 3D content on a little hand held screen or a 40" or larger display, but whether they want to pump NIntendo's current take on 3D as the solution "everyone" will want. 

Frankly, I have to say that anyone who claims they'd dump the big screen viewing experience for a pocket sized one is being disingenous at best.

Personally, I don't even like watching 2D movies on my PSP or iPhone unless that happens to be the ONLY way I can watch under current circumstances.

Frankly, you ignoring cost as a factor against size is the real disingenous thing. Cost is too high, even if the screen is larger. And going "it will go down" is not an argument, since Nintendo is offering it with their new system, at what is basically free with that system.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The only additional cost associated with 3D HDTVs will be additional sets of glasses and sooner than most realize.

I can already find 240hz 3D ready 42" LED backlit HDTVs for just under $2,000. That's hardly a premium price for a name brand TV with LED backlighting.

Based on what you're saying, it seems you would have people believe that most homes interested in leading edge technologies like 3D either don't have at least one HDTV or have plans to buy one in the near future.

Prices are going down, it absolutely is a factor, and a portable solution is no substitute for the typical household.

It's a pointless argument to say that those who can't afford big screen TVs can and will prefer to just watch movies on a portable DVD player instead. Or a 3DS game system for that matter.

No one likes to wear glasses to watch TV or play games at home.

It's ok for an event like going to a cinema with a very big screen. But the 3D effect on expensive small TVs (and even on big TVs) is truly bad! And you have to wear glasses for that ...

Sonys next big flop after the PSP-Go.

Around the Network
Tanstalas said:
wick said:

Yes the 3DS is a threat to 3D TV's but not as a direct competitor.

Imagine this situation.

Next christmas, the prices of 3D TV's are fairly cheap. Your average family might be thinking of buying one with more content and cheaper prices. Now what is the main downfall of 3D? The glasses.

I don't care what anyone says, the glasses ARE a major sticking point for this new, sudden push for old tech. I will often be doing something else while watching tv and I don't think I'll ever want to wear those glasses while on my laptop or doing dishes or playing poker with the football on in the background.........

See the problem?

The glasses.

Now back to our family who are thinking about getting a 3D TV......

As Mr and Mrs Average are eating christmas dinner and discussing wheather or not to pick up a 3D TV in the January sales, little Johnny and his friends are making quite a bit of noise playing with one of his new presents. They wander over and he shows them what all the noise is about. 3D! No Glasses.

Now going on the fact that most people out there aren't too up to date with technology, they will surely assume that this amazing little device will lead to a similar display on a TV very soon.

Bang! There goes another sale of a 3D with those stupid glasses.

Two things don't have to perform the same function to be competitors.

If I woke up and saw kids playing with brand new hover-boards tomorrow I sure as hell would put off buying a new car!

According to Back to the Future, when Marty travels to the future in June 2010 we already have hover-boards... I guess you didn't get your pre-order in?

Marty never went to 2010.

He did however visit October 2015

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

The prices on 3D HDTVs have dropped a lot faster than I thought they would.

I just got an ad from Buy.com for a 3D ready Samsung 46" plasma for $1,263.99

Samsung LN46C750 46" Widescreen 1080p

Ratio, 2ms Response Time
    FREE BUDGET SHIPPING
    Buy.com price: $1,263.99* (see final checkout for price, expires 7/10/10)

It probably won't be more than a year before shutter glasses become the most expensive part of home 3D on a big screen.

It's one of those things every viewer will be very aware that they're wearing, but by the same token, 3D isn't something that viewers will be using even half the time they're watching just about anything on their HDTV. Not until they start recording sports programming and TV shows in 3D anyway.

I'm willing to bet that a sizable percentage of future 3D capable HDTV owners may not even use the feature often, if at all. It won't add much to the price of an HDTV in the very near future.

greenmedic88 said:

no these people are arguing as if everyone will want to watch movies on a small screen just to be glassesfree which is not gonna happen

thats what they are saying.

lordofthenight was talking as if people will buy 4-5 3DS per family instead of watching movies on big screen

same for it.just can't concentrate

z101 said:

No one likes to wear glasses to watch TV or play games at home.

It's ok for an event like going to a cinema with a very big screen. But the 3D effect on expensive small TVs (and even on big TVs) is truly bad! And you have to wear glasses for that ...

Sonys next big flop after the PSP-Go.

its not SONY's big flop but TV industry;s big flop it it happened

greenmedic88 said:

The prices on 3D HDTVs have dropped a lot faster than I thought they would.

I just got an ad from Buy.com for a 3D ready Samsung 46" plasma for $1,263.99

Samsung LN46C750 46" Widescreen 1080p

Ratio, 2ms Response Time
    FREE BUDGET SHIPPING
    Buy.com price: $1,263.99* (see final checkout for price, expires 7/10/10)

It probably won't be more than a year before shutter glasses become the most expensive part of home 3D on a big screen.

It's one of those things every viewer will be very aware that they're wearing, but by the same token, 3D isn't something that viewers will be using even half the time they're watching just about anything on their HDTV. Not until they start recording sports programming and TV shows in 3D anyway.

I'm willing to bet that a sizable percentage of future 3D capable HDTV owners may not even use the feature often, if at all. It won't add much to the price of an HDTV in the very near future.

man thats cheap