By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bad news for Sony, good News for Nintendo

i don't think the typical family will buy this glasses-crap 3D experience.

The masses will buy 3DS and later glasses-free 3DTV, just the very "hardcorz" gamers and hardcore sports-fan will buy it.

That's my opinion!

My prediction is: 3D with glasses will flop hard, especially with 3DS coming.

3,5 inch screen or not, it's the feeling to play and watch 3D without looking like a douche bag.

That's my opinion!

Around the Network
ninty_shareholder64 said:

i don't think the typical family will buy this glasses-crap 3D experience.

The masses will buy 3DS and later glasses-free 3DTV, just the very "hardcorz" gamers and hardcore sports-fan will buy it.

That's my opinion!

My prediction is: 3D with glasses will flop hard, especially with 3DS coming.

3,5 inch screen or not, it's the feeling to play and watch 3D without looking like a douche bag.

That's my opinion!

the masses will not buy 3DS as everybody doesn't game

also people buying 3DTV's can do it more for other reasons than just gaming

3DS will be able to play movies, making 3D pictures and regarding them in 3D and all that casual-things from DS but further. 3DS will not "just" be a gaming device for hardcorz.

So your argument is a bit pointless.

And like i said before the typical family will wait for glasses-free, not-expensive 3DTV.

3DS will be able to play movies, making 3D pictures and regarding them in 3D and all that casual-things from DS but further. 3DS will not "just" be a gaming device for hardcorz.

So your argument is a bit pointless.

And like i said before the typical family will wait for glasses-free, not-expensive 3DTV.

so you think everybody will just buy 3DS to watch a movie in 3D,no they won't

a typical family family will wait for the rpices to go down,if its popular they will buy it

and how is my argument pointless?

you don't want to watch movies and shows on 3DS.also you don't get Sports there in 3D

patapon said:

These people were asked questions like: "Do you think glasses will hinder 3D for you?" Their answers must have boiled down to one of two things... yes or no. If this is the case (which I guarantee it is) the data can be flipped.

There could have been a "I have no views on this" option. Surveys aren't just "black and white" opinions.

Around the Network
  • Effective resolution and brightness are halved. Because half of the lines are going one way and half the other, each eye receives half the information that the screen is capable of putting out. This results in reduced brightness and resolution. The 3DS’s screen is 800×240, but the effective resolution is 400×240 (giving it a weird aspect ratio somewhere between 16:9 and 16:10, incidentally). If you want to display 1080p content using a parallax barrier, you need a 4K display.

This I think sum's it up pretty much to the people that say Glassless 3D is in our future at a mass market price anytime soon.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Killiana1a said:
Boutros said:

Nintendo is not in the TV business.

Nintendo does not need to be in the TV business to affect the TV business.

The 3DS is what economists call a "disruptive technology" meaning it is a technology that affects their competitor's other areas of business such as Sony's multi-thousand dollar 3D television.

Come 2011, when Sony is pushing 3D games on the Move to get consumers to buy their 3D televisions, consumers will see a $200-300 3D glass free technology via Nintendo 3DS and start to ask why is Sony asking me to drop $3k or more for a 3D television requiring and extra $100-200 for 3D glasses when my son/daughter has a 3D handheld that does not require and expensive television and glasses?

This is the pickle Sony will be in and it is a hard one considering all the R&D, production and marketing costs they have accumulated to create their 3D televisions.

Answer: because the 3DS is a what, around a 4" screen verses a 55" screen.  Oh right, and nintendo's glassesless tech only supports 1 person at a time.

So a typical family movie night looks like this, one glasses TV for $3K (with prices dropping fast) or 4 3DS's (so $800 at an assumed $200 plus four copies of the movie) and watch ridiculously tiny screens.  I don't think sony is trouble nor any other 3D TV manufacture.

It will take time.

But why should glasses-free 3DTVs not be  SD (or 480*240*2(or *4 for 2 optimal positions))?

I can imagine to buy a glasses-free SD-3DTV instead of glasses-HD-3DTV.

And the price will decrease faster for glasses-free 3DTV if  the consumer is more interested in that tech.

After all, the mass will decide which 3D tech will survive. And the 3D movies and sport channels will be available for that platform or tech.

kitler53 said:

Answer: because the 3DS is a what, around a 4" screen verses a 55" screen.  Oh right, and nintendo's glassesless tech only supports 1 person at a time.

So a typical family movie night looks like this, one glasses TV for $3K (with prices dropping fast) or 4 3DS's (so $800 at an assumed $200 plus four copies of the movie) and watch ridiculously tiny screens.  I don't think sony is trouble nor any other 3D TV manufacture.

Throw in an extra $450 or more for 3 extra pairs of glasses.  Kinda "opens your eyes" when you start weighing $150-200 glasses versus a $200 3DS per person...

Also, we have no idea how films are going to be distributed on 3DS, but if it's digitally there may be a solution for multiple viewers.

It will take time.

But why should glasses-free 3DTVs not be  SD (or 480*240*2(or *4 for 2 optimal positions))?

I can imagine to buy a glasses-free SD-3DTV instead of glasses-HD-3DTV.

And the price will decrease faster for glasses-free 3DTV if  the consumer is more interested in that tech.

After all, the mass will decide which 3D tech will survive. And the 3D movies and sport channels will be available for that platform or tech.

That is not how it works.

3D content will work on any kind of 3D TV, it's not like Sonys Games can only be played on a "Glasses" 3D TV.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’