By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bad news for Sony, good News for Nintendo

Boutros said:
cAPSLOCK said:
Boutros said:
axt113 said:
Boutros said:

http://www.abiresearch.com/press/1203-Consumers Delaying Blu-ray Player Purchases

"A new consumer survey from ABI Research has revealed a widespread reluctance to commit to a Blu-ray player in the near future: over half of the 1000 respondents, citing “other priorities,” say they have no plans to purchase one; a further 23% are likely to buy, but not until sometime in 2009."

Happens all the time with new tech.

Aversion to Glasses on the other hand is not going to change even with time

People will get used to it I think.

Anyway I'm not a fan of 3D myself so I have no difficulty at all to believe this survey.

No, people won't "get used to it", they'll just wait until glasses free tech comes along.  Not everyone is great big tech crackwhores like us gamers are.  Telling someone they need a $150-$200 set of glasses that are LOCKED TO MANUFACTURER for every viewer is not something people will just accept or get used to. 

Again, the only reason gamers get treated with such contempt is because they let it happen -- non-enthusiasts will just tell manufacturers to go fuck themselves until they figure out how to do it without glasses. 

Especially 1-2 years after buying a brand new shiny HDTV.

The price will go down fast just like everything else tech-related.

Where is my affordable OLED TV?

Actually whatever happened to OLED?  Think I may have to google it, never hear anything about OLED anymore :(

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:

you are talking as everybody wants to watch movies on a small screen.why the hell are you even comparing it in that department?

No, the thing is different. When people know that the only way to see a 3D movie is glasses, they'll buy a 3D TV, earlier or later. BUT if people know that it is a possibility of watching 3D without glasses and much cheaper they'll just think - 'hey, why should i pay 5000 USD for the TV which is ALREADY outfated?' Ordinary people will not be deep in technology, they'll just compare

Watch 3D now:

5000 USD on a big TV with glasses      OR               250 USD on a HANDHELD without glasses.

How'd you think what'll ORDINARY consumer prefer?

3DS will not be competing with 3dTVsets, but it will be slowing sales of 3DTVwith Glasses until glassless technology appear...

Sharu said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

you are talking as everybody wants to watch movies on a small screen.why the hell are you even comparing it in that department?

No, the thing is different. When people know that the only way to see a 3D movie is glasses, they'll buy a 3D TV, earlier or later. BUT if people know that it is a possibility of watching 3D without glasses and much cheaper they'll just think - 'hey, why should i pay 5000 USD for the TV which is ALREADY outfated?' Ordinary people will not be deep in technology, they'll just compare

Watch 3D now:

5000 USD on a big TV with glasses      OR               250 USD on a HANDHELD without glasses.

3DS will not be competing with 3dTVsets, but it will be slowing sales of 3DTVwith Glasses until glassless technology appear...

Even smarter and more undercutting, Nintendo before the launch of the 3DS should be holding contractual talks with Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube via Google for subscription services for the 3DS. This way purchasers of the 3DS can watch what their movies and tv shows along with the option of 3D movies because we know the 3DS will not have a blu ray or dvd player.

Yes the 3DS is a threat to 3D TV's but not as a direct competitor.

Imagine this situation.

Next christmas, the prices of 3D TV's are fairly cheap. Your average family might be thinking of buying one with more content and cheaper prices. Now what is the main downfall of 3D? The glasses.

I don't care what anyone says, the glasses ARE a major sticking point for this new, sudden push for old tech. I will often be doing something else while watching tv and I don't think I'll ever want to wear those glasses while on my laptop or doing dishes or playing poker with the football on in the background.........

See the problem?

The glasses.

Now back to our family who are thinking about getting a 3D TV......

As Mr and Mrs Average are eating christmas dinner and discussing wheather or not to pick up a 3D TV in the January sales, little Johnny and his friends are making quite a bit of noise playing with one of his new presents. They wander over and he shows them what all the noise is about. 3D! No Glasses.

Now going on the fact that most people out there aren't too up to date with technology, they will surely assume that this amazing little device will lead to a similar display on a TV very soon.

Bang! There goes another sale of a 3D with those stupid glasses.

Two things don't have to perform the same function to be competitors.

If I woke up and saw kids playing with brand new hover-boards tomorrow I sure as hell would put off buying a new car!

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Killiana1a said:
Sharu said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

Watch 3D now:

Even smarter and more undercutting, Nintendo before the launch of the 3DS should be holding contractual talks with Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube via Google for subscription services for the 3DS. This way purchasers of the 3DS can watch what their movies and tv shows along with the option of 3D movies because we know the 3DS will not have a blu ray or dvd player.

Yeah! And then the tiny screen of 400x240 will be an advantage for customers with not-so-wide internet connection... ;)

And the other thing which still frightening me is how can N keep such a strong 3rd party support with ready tech demoes in secret before E3??? I understand keeping secrets inside company - but when so much companies keeping secret together - that is something strange for this industry...

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:
Sharu said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

Watch 3D now:

yes, that just like the other portable contract's with other portable viewer's that have set the market on fire.over Home theatre!

Look while i think the 3DS is great and All it's not going to slow the adoption of the Home theatre 3D Market in any real signifcant way, because the Home theatre Market is on a whole market all together!. right now none of the CE companies is investing heavly in Glassless 3D to be brought to the market Quickly because they know the Prices point is not pratical not just for them but also the Consumer.

HD is currently 1080p being the best HD standard, which many New HDTv's have gone to with pretty good pricing right now, but that took 3 year's for that to happen. to get a glassless 1080p resolution 3D it's going to need a 4k resolution screen!

That's not going to be cheap, Hell even a 32" Glassless is more Expensive than the same Glasses Based 3D Lcd. because you can up the refresh rate, While Glassless requires modification to the whole screen itself.

the 3DS is just not going to have the effect that I see many have in this thread as putting a big dent in the sales of 3D without Glasses.For one many more LCD screen manuf. that just Nintendo which does not make screen's at all.

for one Even Before the 3DS even get's released the 3D LCD active shutter's system's are already being displayed and viewable for consumer's right now.The fact that also many Sport's from TV networks will be broadcast in 3D along with HD..there is going to be a 3D Discovery Ch. with other station's soon to follow with dedicated 3D station's of their own.

While I think the 3DS will be great, I do not Think it's effect on the Home theatre Market will be that profound.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

wick said:

Imagine this situation.

Next christmas, the prices of 3D TV's are fairly cheap. Your average family might be thinking of buying one with more content and cheaper prices. Now what is the main downfall of 3D? The glasses.

I don't care what anyone says, the glasses ARE a major sticking point for this new, sudden push for old tech. I will often be doing something else while watching tv and I don't think I'll ever want to wear those glasses while on my laptop or doing dishes or playing poker with the football on in the background.........

See the problem?

The glasses.

As Mr and Mrs Average are eating christmas dinner and discussing wheather or not to pick up a 3D TV in the January sales, little Johnny and his friends are making quite a bit of noise playing with one of his new presents. They wander over and he shows them what all the noise is about. 3D! No Glasses.

Now going on the fact that most people out there aren't too up to date with technology, they will surely assume that this amazing little device will lead to a similar display on a TV very soon.

If I woke up and saw kids playing with brand new hover-boards tomorrow I sure as hell would put off buying a new car!

According to Back to the Future, when Marty travels to the future in June 2010 we already have hover-boards... I guess you didn't get your pre-order in?

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Tanstalas said:
wick said:

Imagine this situation.

See the problem?

The glasses.

According to Back to the Future, when Marty travels to the future in June 2010 we already have hover-boards... I guess you didn't get your pre-order in?

yup those are going to be sleeping for quite some time, hey why is'nt glassless 3D HDTV screen's not

here yet..because their not cheap enough yet...sleep's for another 3 year's..how about now?

goes back to sleep when they still find out it's still over $6,500.00..meanwhile many people are still enjoyoing 3D content for the Past 3 year's on Active Shutter home theatre system's.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:

I think naming the device the "3DS" is a bit of a hint as to what the console is about. I seriously doubt there will be the slightest bit of confusion in that department, even among those who aren't familiar with the product.

However, I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of consumer confusion over the difference between shopping for a 3D capable big screen HDTV and a little handheld console that plays 3D games on a 3.5" screen. Apples and oranges.

Anyone who actually uses a 3DS and sees how the 3D effect is limited to a narrow viewing angle, won't have to be terribly savvy to realize that a large version of the display used by the 3DS simply wouldn't be viewable in 3D by anyone without a near perpendicular viewing angle.

Alhtough buying a 3DS for everyone in a typical family would still be less than a 3DHDTV and glasses for everyone in that family, even when the prices go down.

Just to clarify: families would be more willing to buy 4 handheld players so they can all watch 4 separate copies of a movie in 3D together in the living room on three inch screens because that's the cheaper way to watch a 3D movie?

I'm not sure this even warrants a rebuttal.

That scenerio is so ridculous and improbable it smacks of a strawman. The actual scenario is that the family members can do whatever they want. So if Billy wants to play a game, and Sally wants to play a movie, they can do it on their own systems. And if dad wants to watch another movie, and is not in the mood for 3D, he can get it his way as well.

No, I mean more people like to spend less money for a good thing than lots more money for a supposedly better thing. So even though a bigger TV is better, the much higher cost is a huge obstacle.And since Nintendo is presenting 3D at a lower cost, even future price drops will be undermined by Nintendo giving screens at a reasonable price now.

yes people like to spend less for good things but they don't want a  small experience wither if they are looking for a big one

so they don't directly interfere

Sharu said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

Watch 3D now:

they will not compare as if they want a bigger experience,watch sports and movies and play full games they will not want it on a smaller screen

agree but not by much overall as not all ordinary customers that you talk about will know about 3DS but they will know about 3DTV's