By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bad news for Sony, good News for Nintendo

Killiana1a said:
Sharu said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

you are talking as everybody wants to watch movies on a small screen.why the hell are you even comparing it in that department?

No, the thing is different. When people know that the only way to see a 3D movie is glasses, they'll buy a 3D TV, earlier or later. BUT if people know that it is a possibility of watching 3D without glasses and much cheaper they'll just think - 'hey, why should i pay 5000 USD for the TV which is ALREADY outfated?' Ordinary people will not be deep in technology, they'll just compare

Watch 3D now:

5000 USD on a big TV with glasses      OR               250 USD on a HANDHELD without glasses.

How'd you think what'll ORDINARY consumer prefer?

3DS will not be competing with 3dTVsets, but it will be slowing sales of 3DTVwith Glasses until glassless technology appear...

Even smarter and more undercutting, Nintendo before the launch of the 3DS should be holding contractual talks with Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube via Google for subscription services for the 3DS. This way purchasers of the 3DS can watch what their movies and tv shows along with the option of 3D movies because we know the 3DS will not have a blu ray or dvd player.

yes but people looking for a bigger experience with sports,movies and full games will not want it on a small screen

Around the Network

Before Avatar, 3D movie was a fad. 

You and me aren't James Cameron, we cant predict the popular culture, what we can predict is the global weather will become more and more extreme because of climate change, and we can do nothing about it except acting like frogs sitting in a slow cooking water pot.

tingyu said:

Before Avatar, 3D movie was a fad. 

You and me aren't James Cameron, we cant predict the popular culture, what we can predict is the global weather will become more and more extreme because of climate change, and we can do nothing about it except acting like frogs sitting in a slow cooking water pot.

WAT??????????????????????????????

3D is still a FAD after AVATAR but more like FAD people really going for and will stablize

One question and one point from this post.

Is there a similar poll for US/NA? Or for Europe? It would be interesting to see those numbers.

As for the glasses -- they don't work well if you wear eyeglasses (at least that has been my experience). And somewhere between one third and one half of the US population wears eyeglasses. http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/39279.html

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I think the majority of people, everywhere, would prefer cheaper TV's over expensive ones, and goggles-free 3D instead of forced goggles... It's a no-brainer.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Cheebee said:

I think the majority of people, everywhere, would prefer cheaper TV's over expensive ones, and goggles-free 3D instead of forced goggles... It's a no-brainer.

but would they want big screen movies,sports and full games on a small screen

no they won't

Solid_Snake4RD said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:

I think naming the device the "3DS" is a bit of a hint as to what the console is about. I seriously doubt there will be the slightest bit of confusion in that department, even among those who aren't familiar with the product.

However, I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of consumer confusion over the difference between shopping for a 3D capable big screen HDTV and a little handheld console that plays 3D games on a 3.5" screen. Apples and oranges.

Anyone who actually uses a 3DS and sees how the 3D effect is limited to a narrow viewing angle, won't have to be terribly savvy to realize that a large version of the display used by the 3DS simply wouldn't be viewable in 3D by anyone without a near perpendicular viewing angle.

Alhtough buying a 3DS for everyone in a typical family would still be less than a 3DHDTV and glasses for everyone in that family, even when the prices go down.

Just to clarify: families would be more willing to buy 4 handheld players so they can all watch 4 separate copies of a movie in 3D together in the living room on three inch screens because that's the cheaper way to watch a 3D movie?

I'm not sure this even warrants a rebuttal.

That scenerio is so ridculous and improbable it smacks of a strawman. The actual scenario is that the family members can do whatever they want. So if Billy wants to play a game, and Sally wants to play a movie, they can do it on their own systems. And if dad wants to watch another movie, and is not in the mood for 3D, he can get it his way as well.

you are talking as everybody wants to watch movies on a small screen.why the hell are you even comparing it in that department?

No, I mean more people like to spend less money for a good thing than lots more money for a supposedly better thing. So even though a bigger TV is better, the much higher cost is a huge obstacle.And since Nintendo is presenting 3D at a lower cost, even future price drops will be undermined by Nintendo giving screens at a reasonable price now.

yes people like to spend less for good things but they don't want a  small experience wither if they are looking for a big one

so they don't directly interfere

But that assumes people are looking for the big things, and just because a few movies are hits in the theaters does not mean people are rushing out to get screens for the home.

The 3DS isn't about merely offering an alternative. It's offering a form for those who wouldn't consider it at all, like with the DS and the Wii for video games in general.

@Tanstalas: Back to the Future II's first act was in 2015.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:

I think naming the device the "3DS" is a bit of a hint as to what the console is about. I seriously doubt there will be the slightest bit of confusion in that department, even among those who aren't familiar with the product.

However, I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of consumer confusion over the difference between shopping for a 3D capable big screen HDTV and a little handheld console that plays 3D games on a 3.5" screen. Apples and oranges.

Anyone who actually uses a 3DS and sees how the 3D effect is limited to a narrow viewing angle, won't have to be terribly savvy to realize that a large version of the display used by the 3DS simply wouldn't be viewable in 3D by anyone without a near perpendicular viewing angle.

Alhtough buying a 3DS for everyone in a typical family would still be less than a 3DHDTV and glasses for everyone in that family, even when the prices go down.

Just to clarify: families would be more willing to buy 4 handheld players so they can all watch 4 separate copies of a movie in 3D together in the living room on three inch screens because that's the cheaper way to watch a 3D movie?

I'm not sure this even warrants a rebuttal.

That scenerio is so ridculous and improbable it smacks of a strawman. The actual scenario is that the family members can do whatever they want. So if Billy wants to play a game, and Sally wants to play a movie, they can do it on their own systems. And if dad wants to watch another movie, and is not in the mood for 3D, he can get it his way as well.

No, I mean more people like to spend less money for a good thing than lots more money for a supposedly better thing. So even though a bigger TV is better, the much higher cost is a huge obstacle.And since Nintendo is presenting 3D at a lower cost, even future price drops will be undermined by Nintendo giving screens at a reasonable price now.

yes people like to spend less for good things but they don't want a  small experience wither if they are looking for a big one

so they don't directly interfere

But that assumes people are looking for the big things, and just because a few movies are hits in the theaters does not mean people are rushing out to get screens for the home.

didn't say that.

but if they wanted to watch that movie at home in 3D,they would prefer 3DTV's over 3DS

The 3DS isn't about merely offering an alternative. It's offering a form for those who wouldn't consider it at all, like with the DS and the Wii for video games in general.

yes i agree that but they people who wouldn't even consider buying a 3DTV then why are you comparing the two

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

but would they want big screen movies,sports and full games on a small screen

no they won't

Of course you know this for a fact.

Anyway, thanks for bringing stuff into the mix that I never even remotely mentioned in the first place. XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

3D for big applications is much different. It's not good for anyone. Because 3D T.V. technologies are much different than the DS. The DS cannot look as good as it would normal if you ran normal applications. The screen is made special for 3D, and can you imagine having to watch T.V. like that? It can make people sick, and damage your eyes even faster. Do people really want glasses free 3D on big T.V.'s? I don't think so, and I sure as heck don't!

It's far more different for a small application like the 3DS, or the PSP. With a 3D screen you lose a aspect of 2D gaming, and it's obvious with glasses instead of 3D glass on T.V.'s the entertainment industry thinks it's a awful move, that just will not happen. We don't have the tech at this time. Sony isn't doomed, or ANYTHING by this because even nintendo will not launch a glasses free T.V. ever. They (nintendo) made stabs at Sony because of their 3DS not using glasses, but they know it's totally different.

Also people with vision issues cannot even detect these 3D tricks used. 3D is a gimmick that will fade away in a couple years once people get their cupsful and that stops to impact any aspect in the decisions that they make. 3D only belongs in iMAX movie settings, it's far overkill righht now. Not everything has to be 3D, why can't these companies take a step back sometimes..