By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What can Sony do and should they do anyhting?

Tigerlure said:
Seece said:
Xbbjf9s said:

ugh just saw japan numbers

15/17k sold were slim.

And it was also because of the new Monster Hunter game or whatever its name was. Expect those sales to fall as fast as they rose lol. I give it 2, maybe 3 weeks in Japan tops.

well that makes me feel a little better lol surprised that the wii was behind the other two.

back on topic i think if plus does well i'm thinking they MIGHT do a cut.

Around the Network

The PS3 Is Fine. Give it a few weeks, PS3 and 360 Will be neck and neck. Necking it. 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Seece said:
Xbbjf9s said:

ugh just saw japan numbers

15/17k sold were slim.

Is VGC the source for this ratio, or was there another source?  I mean it would make sense given last weeks' numbers, but I was just wondering.

@ OP

Sony is definitely going to just ride this recent bump out.  IF it continues to give the 360 higher sales for longer than a month or so, they most likely will consider doing something in response.  I really don't see the bump going that long, but if it does a small price-cut may be the answer.  I doubt it would be a full $50, but something around $25 would be acceptable.  This way they could definitely make up any losses with a purchase of one game and/or extra controller.  Of course, I see MS countering that with a $25-$50 cut for the Elite.  However, any similar cut to both the Elite and the PS3 is going to go in favor of the PS3, as it has yet to have any SKU's that low.

I could also see them lowering the prices for any future GT5 bundles, maybe to the previous $299.  Or maybe adjusting the prices for Move in America to mirror the cheaper ones found in EU and Japan.  If the Move is seen as a much cheaper alternative to Kinect, then Move could definitely take some of whatever wind may be left in Kinect's sails. 

Sony will not do anything regardless of sales trends for the next few months. They will in fact not implement anything new for the next six months. Whether sales enthusiasts like that or not is irrelevant to the enterprise at hand. Sony isn't in the console market to get props from fans. Their goal isn't even to beat Microsoft all the time. Their goal is to be profitable, and let winning tend to itself. Sony is beyond needing to claw out sales. Their console is established, and it can now start to make them money.

Sony doesn't need to screw itself over to win a fictional war. A war written by enthusiasts who root for the players like they are at a boxing match. They don't need to go into another price war. Beyond the fact that it is a war that Microsoft would love to have. Seeing as it always costs Sony more then it does them. Sony almost always loses this war, because Microsoft has a years head start to cut costs, and their secondary revenue is second to none. Jump starting another round of price cuts isn't just bad financially. It usually results in giveing more sales to Microsoft. Which would be incredibly stupid right before Microsoft begins to advertise its premier title for its platform.

Sony doesn't want to bump titles forward either, because that is just going to cut into their bottom line as it decreases the demand for the titles in the holiday season. Not to mention that Microsoft will probably not see a need to do it, because Halo moves a lot of consoles on its own. Higher sales now just wouldn't be worth lower sales later. When all the players move most of their consoles in a year.

Sony has already made their answer clear. They are placing their focus on Move being their console mover. That is where they are hoping to make their move. This is where we are at in the generation now. Gone are the days of price, library, and exclusives. Now its on to who can diversify their hardware towards the wider audience, and claim the prize for the next couple years. Hell it isn't as if Sony probably didn't see the bump well in advance. This was going to happen, and it didn't seem to vex them all that much, and really why should it. A few hundred thousand unit gap is like a light breeze when a couple weeks in the holiday season can totally erase that.

Now that said peripherals are a devils bargain. We have seen them really help platforms, but we have also seen them crater. When it comes to peripherals there is no middle ground within a couple months you will know whether Move is going to make it or not going to make it. Basically its a very expensive gamble, and if Sony loses by doing this. Well I wouldn't place my bet on price cuts on the console being their strategy. I would expect them to really bunker down even if Microsofts peripheral does real well. They would probably value increase the console for a good deal of time into the new year.

Anyway its all coming down to the peripherals. The console sales leading up to it are irrelevant for the players. You know unless it gets really insane. You know like Microsoft moving over 100k more a week. Not seeing that happen now in the summer, or any time before Reach to be realistic.

Why sacrifice profitability for the sake of spite? Even the discounted 360 models aren't really cannibalising PS3 sales. Sony should just ride it out until PS3 sales begin to decrease (if that does happen), and focus on publicising and selling Move, which will probably have quite a hard time at the hands of Kinect.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

release a 250gb with wireless N to match the 360Ss wireless capabilities and HDD size for $299

discontinue the 120gb drop it down to $249

a gt5 bundle

do all of this in oct after reach is released

oh yeah add ps2 bc that would do something for sales go check ps blog ps2 bc is #2 behind cross game chat on most wanted ideas

Play Me

release a white ps3 slim...

ow there it is:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)