By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does everyone think Super Mario Galaxy is PERFECT?

Granted, its amazing. I would give it 9.5/10. This is the best game for Wii, yet I personally liked sunshine better.
Ever since sonic adventure 2 I have found planet hopping stupid. Mostly I just liked the eplore/collectathon 3-d platformer method, and this game ruins that. While there are some camera problems, its stil the best camera I have seen.

The spin move seems stupid at first, but it become more integral to the game as time went on. I really miss the b punch kick and the b slide jump move from 64 though. Also, the hub in this game is very weak in my opinion. Granted, its space, so what else could they do? Never the less, Mario 64's castle and sunshine's delfino plaza were more fun. 

I think it would have been cooler if there was true multiplayer co-op levels after you got the 60 stars. And after the 120, playing through the game agan as luigi isn't that exciting. A cooler bonus would be that you can play again, but this time you arn't knocked off peaches castle. You cango inside the castle and collect the 120 stars from mario 64... with all new graphics and tweaked levels for spin integration.

So really, the game is "perfect" in what it does , but ignores alot of the greatness of sunshine/64 (though it does take the enemies from these games) but it is really not much like mario 64 (except for the 3 bowser stages, which wern't that great) and I don't really like mario's new direction.
So to be a perfect game, this game would need to have (in my opninon)

1. A perfect, not good, camera.
2. Better multiplayer
3. better secrets/bonuses
4. better world hub
5. a couple dedicated "big levels" granted, there are some big ones, but they are not as big as in 64/sunshine (well, they are, but alot is shipioned off into little platenoids for other stars) also, these leves arn't that great for exploring; they are large, yet linear.
6. I personally love the bowser kidnapps peach stoires, to be a perfect game, this platformer would need a more solid story.

also, did this game remind anyone else strongly of pikmin? Its an all new unique expiernce, and it reminded me alot of pikmin for some reason. probably because they are both amde by the same creative genius ;)

Around the Network

Because it is and if you disagree you hate the Wii.

MontanaHatchet said:
Because it is and if you disagree you hate the Wii.

He hates the Wii?

Alright boys, get the pitchforks.  We're forming us an angry mob.

MontanaHatchet said:
Because it is and if you disagree you're not American.

Fixed.  Or even better yet:

MontanaHatchet said:
Because it is and if you disagree you're not [insert country of origin here].

andrewpeirce said:

Granted, its amazing. I would give it 9.5/10. This is the best game for Wii, yet I personally liked sunshine better.
Ever since sonic adventure 2 I have found planet hopping stupid. Mostly I just liked the eplore/collectathon 3-d platformer method, and this game ruins that. While there are some camera problems, its stil the best camera I have seen.

The spin move seems stupid at first, but it become more integral to the game as time went on. I really miss the b punch kick and the b slide jump move from 64 though. Also, the hub in this game is very weak in my opinion. Granted, its space, so what else could they do? Never the less, Mario 64's castle and sunshine's delfino plaza were more fun. 

I think it would have been cooler if there was true multiplayer co-op levels after you got the 60 stars. And after the 120, playing through the game agan as luigi isn't that exciting. A cooler bonus would be that you can play again, but this time you arn't knocked off peaches castle. You cango inside the castle and collect the 120 stars from mario 64... with all new graphics and tweaked levels for spin integration.

So really, the game is "perfect" in what it does , but ignores alot of the greatness of sunshine/64 (though it does take the enemies from these games) but it is really not much like mario 64 (except for the 3 bowser stages, which wern't that great) and I don't really like mario's new direction.
So to be a perfect game, this game would need to have (in my opninon)

1. A perfect, not good, camera.
2. Better multiplayer
3. better secrets/bonuses
4. better world hub
5. a couple dedicated "big levels" granted, there are some big ones, but they are not as big as in 64/sunshine (well, they are, but alot is shipioned off into little platenoids for other stars) also, these leves arn't that great for exploring; they are large, yet linear.
6. I personally love the bowser kidnapps peach stoires, to be a perfect game, this platformer would need a more solid story.

also, did this game remind anyone else strongly of pikmin? Its an all new unique expiernce, and it reminded me alot of pikmin for some reason. probably because they are both amde by the same creative genius ;)

The majority of your complaints seem to be stemming from it not being the type of game you want it to be.  Yes, it's more linear, but so what?  Linear =/= bad.  If RPGs were your favorite genre, are you going to bash SMG for not being an RPG?  No, of course not.  However, that's what you're doing here, granted, on a much smaller and less blatant scale, but it's still the same thing.

Around the Network

I base my games off of how fun they are combined with how long they're fun for. Some games I've put well over 100 hours into, others, not so much.

But to consider a game perfect, I have to have a real feeling of attachment to it, or get a real sense of accomplishment out of beating it. If you want my very short list of these, feel free to message me.

Regardless, I think for a lot of people, this game is everything they wanted.

So... people think it's perfect becuase most people prefer linear challenges over exploration focuses challenges. And by the way, I really like the Wii. I like the Gamecube much more, but I am betting that by the end of this gen I will like the Wii more :) Also I like the snes and N64 better too :x

I've never played Galaxy, but I will dispute a couple of your points.

Multiplayer - Mario has NEVER been a big multiplayer platform. The closest thing you get is a turn based system hailing back to the NES days. I think the multiplayer aspect that is present now is actually of EXCELLENT use for A) Parents who want something to do while they supervise their children while they play B) Children who aren't quite old enough to play, but still want something simple to do while their parents/elder sibling play the game and C) any skilled gamer with an casual or non-gamer partner(BF/GF, Fiance or Spouse)

the multiplayer that is present in Galaxy is excellent for what it is meant to do. It bridges teh gap between the casual gamer and the heavy gamer, allowing them to work together, without any signifigant pressure being placed on them, which would make them feel overwhelmed in attempting to keep up with the more skilled gamer actually playing teh game. On top of this, the primary gamer doesn't feel agrivated by any lack of skill in the other person, since everything they do is purely additive, no part of the game hinges on the 2nd player.

Story - If you want story, grab Paper Mario, which is where teh story seems to have shifted to as far as the Mario series goes. Personally, I'm happy not having a heavy story burdening Mario down on this type of game. not every game benefits from having an involved story.

As far as the better secrets and bonuses, that still needs time. It's quite possible that there are many glitches and tricks and other things that haven't been officially declared, or perhasp they have been but you simply haven't found them. that's kinda the point of Bonuses. still since I haven't played, I can't judge that part.

I don't know about teh wrold hub, or the camera issues since I haven't played it. Quite frankly though, I sorta consider learning how to predict how teh camera moves to be part of learning how to play the game.

I can understand your want for the "BIG" levels, like mario 64 had, but really, even the big ones weren't actually that huge after all was said and done, they just felt that way. But as far as that goes, it's really not something that would be considered "Lacking" as much as it simply is something that could have been added.

Still, I look forward to eventually getting it. I seriously wish I had the funds to grab all of these.my first priorities are picking up some games that are good single player, but also good multiplayer for going up against my sister and my GF.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

andrewpeirce said:
So... people think it's perfect becuase most people prefer linear challenges over exploration focuses challenges. And by the way, I really like the Wii. I like the Gamecube much more, but I am betting that by the end of this gen I will like the Wii more :) Also I like the snes and N64 better too :x

It was sarcasm based on the general attitude of many posters on the forums.

Don't let people force their opinions on you. If you don't think SMG is the perfect game, that's perfectly fine. 

Wow Montana Hatchet...who knew you were so incredibly gifted in both sarcasm and common sense.