By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your take on evolution/old age earth?

The fact that people actually believe in macro evolution boggles my mind more than anything else I have encounted in life.  Not trying to offend anyone, but it's how I see it.  It's not that I'm uninformed or anything either.  I have seen the facts, and it just sounds like it came from a crackpot.

Just because it is a "scientific" theory doesn't suddenly make it more credible than other theories.  Nature is way too diverse and complex.  I swear, once something gets labeled as science, it gets this added untouchable credibility to it that is incredibly biased and illogical.

Oh well, I don't want to get dragged into an argument, so I should probably just avoid this thread.

Around the Network

Evolution = Fact! To say otherwise is to deny ones self the truth and hide behind the teachings of a story book

Squall_Leonhart said:

Evolution = Fact! To say otherwise is to deny ones self the truth and hide behind the teachings of a story book

Before I go, you're totally trolling....

:/

IvorEvilen said:

The fact that people actually believe in macro evolution boggles my mind more than anything else I have encounted in life.  Not trying to offend anyone, but it's how I see it.  It's not that I'm uninformed or anything either.  I have seen the facts, and it just sounds like it came from a crackpot.

Just because it is a "scientific" theory doesn't suddenly make it more credible than other theories.  Nature is way too diverse and complex.  I swear, once something gets labeled as science, it gets this added untouchable credibility to it that is incredibly biased and illogical.

Oh well, I don't want to get dragged into an argument, so I should probably just avoid this thread.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iNOxOAR7mEg/SB_YCv4UFWI/AAAAAAAAAW0/jVPYSmDXZkw/s400/6-leg-baby-4.jpg

It isn't a theory, it's reality.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

I don't believe in evolution (except for Micro Evolution).  It takes just as much if not more faith to believe in evolution then to believe in God.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

I don't believe in evolution (except for Micro Evolution).  It takes just as much if not more faith to believe in evolution then to believe in God.

Let's see:

One has a basis that a lot of pepole (like you) think is true, a basis which explain how that theory can exist in real life, also, there was pure evidence, reported in newspapers, about an indian girl with six legs, something that isn't a theory, but reality.

The other is written in a book.

Indeed, they both take just as much faith to believe in.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

I of course believe in evolution. It's the only plausible theory so far.

By the way, has anyone seen the  South Park episode where Mr. Garrisson has to explain evolution theory (which he doesn't believe in) to the kids? The way he explains evolution is sooo hilarious...

dsister said:

I thought that by saying I don't accept macroevolution that it also implies that I don't accept that life has been around for a billion years.

But it has existed for billions of years. We know the Earth is old enough to have supported life for billions of years, the evidence is overwhelming. And our best estimates based on available evidence point to life existing on Earth for at least 3.65 billion years. 

All dating methods point to the Earth being ancient at about 4.54 billion years old. I think Potholer54 can explain the evidence behind age of the Earth better than I can...

Age of Earth video

And the age of life can be determined from the chemical record left by life in ancient rocks (chemical fossils if you will), and we find it to be about 3.65 to 3.8 billion years old (source). More recent life (as in the past few hundred million years or so) can be determined by a wide range of dating techniques.

Also if you look at the DNA of many species and examine the similarities and differences to how they are related to each other (i.e. create an evolution tree), it will give you more than enough evidence that macro evolution has occurred many times.

Besides, even if you believe that life has only existed for a few thousand years and you accept micro evolution, you must also accept that macro evolution must occur, even if it has not done so already (which it has).

RageBot said:
yo_john117 said:

Let's see:

One has a basis that a lot of pepole (like you) think is true, a basis which explain how that theory can exist in real life, also, there was pure evidence, reported in newspapers, about an indian girl with six legs, something that isn't a theory, but reality.

The other is written in a book.

Indeed, they both take just as much faith to believe in.

Exactly they really do...

IvorEvilen said:

You can't just post something which violates the norm like that and not explain.

Go on, what are these "facts" that disprove macroevolution?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective