By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - sales of 3D-TV's in the US

irstupid said:
superchunk said:
irstupid said:
superchunk said:
BHR-3 said:

3d will be big ya'll know its just like bluray it was bashed and now it took over it took time but it eventually did it prices are lower now for bluray and the same will happen for 3D

i my self will be added to the article in a few weeks i will be buying a lg infinia 47lx9500 and for the less tec savy thats a 480hz refresh rate it will be my 1st hdtv i own

Then how many pairs of $200 glasses are you gonna buy?

you have to remember, no on in the entire world ever pays retail price for things.  They are all just decoration in stores for people to look at and then get excited when they find them super cheap somewhere else on their own about the good deal.

Still, you're not going to spend less than $100 and that's just crazy unless your a lonely kid with no friends/family.

i was joking, cause i figured he woudl come in and say "i found a deal and only paid $50 for the glasses through this place"  or my dad's cousins kid works a this place and cut me a deal, ect.

whenever price is brought up as something too expensive people always jump in and say "you can get it here or i got it for this, ect."

The main point is, those retail prices are there, if no one was buying them they wouldn't be that priced.  Most of all sales are retail prices and saying "you can get this 3dtv, these 4 glasses and this 3d player for this cheap" is bullshit, because that is not how 95% of the people buying these thigns are buying them, or should say not buying them

ah, yeah. I see what you mean now.

Around the Network

but yea until glasses are like < $20 there is no way thsi catches on

as just said a house full of kids and your going to have to worry about giving them $100 plus glasses.  ha have fun handing them over, and then worry about loosing them, sitting on them, scratching them and so on. 

Even with close friends, you can tell that if they have expensive glasses that they are very watchful of you looking at them and want them back soon.  You know like with Oakleys and stuff, and now they are going to hand over a handful to their firends to watch a sporting event while drinking alcohol?

To me besides 3D being expensive to just start, it just seems like a high risk entertainment

I'm thinking that the price of 3d TVs, glasses, cameras, etc will fall over time as the technology gets cheaper and expect Blu-rayesque results from this, that it will be kind of a big thing, but not overwhelmingly great for Sony.

Also, the 3d push is a pretty smart move, now that blu-ray is the standard for HD storage, 3d movies will basically require blu-ray, so when 3d grows, so will blu-ray.

dallas said:

I'm thinking that the price of 3d TVs, glasses, cameras, etc will fall over time as the technology gets cheaper and expect Blu-rayesque results from this, that it will be kind of a big thing, but not overwhelmingly great for Sony.

Also, the 3d push is a pretty smart move, now that blu-ray is the standard for HD storage, 3d movies will basically require blu-ray, so when 3d grows, so will blu-ray.

i feel like we heard this same thing abotu HDTV's and Blu Ray players not a year ago.  you know the whole HDTV's will go down in price and blu ray players will go down in price and ect.

hell i still dont' know a single person who owns a blu ray, every single person i know that has a blu ray player whether an actual player or ps3 only rents

most people just recently upgraded and are being told again right awy to upgrade?  sorry if to me I am assuming they are going to say F that and wait it out for 10 years to upgrade to wahtever is then

irstupid said:
dallas said:

i feel like we heard this same thing abotu HDTV's and Blu Ray players not a year ago.  you know the whole HDTV's will go down in price and blu ray players will go down in price and ect.

hell i still dont' know a single person who owns a blu ray, every single person i know that has a blu ray player whether an actual player or ps3 only rents

most people just recently upgraded and are being told again right awy to upgrade?  sorry if to me I am assuming they are going to say F that and wait it out for 10 years to upgrade to wahtever is then

It's a smart move for SONY if you consider their strengths as a company.

Waiting 5-10 years is good though since that's when the flat screens will come out that don't require glasses. They'll be 3-4k like 3D TVs are now, and 3D TVs will be 500-1k like all HDTVs are now.

Around the Network
irstupid said:

but yea until glasses are like < $20 there is no way thsi catches on

as just said a house full of kids and your going to have to worry about giving them $100 plus glasses.  ha have fun handing them over, and then worry about loosing them, sitting on them, scratching them and so on. 

Even with close friends, you can tell that if they have expensive glasses that they are very watchful of you looking at them and want them back soon.  You know like with Oakleys and stuff, and now they are going to hand over a handful to their firends to watch a sporting event while drinking alcohol?

To me besides 3D being expensive to just start, it just seems like a high risk entertainment

I agree. For poor people with little kids do you think a semi wired solution would ever be available? Basically have a box with a bunch of jacks that does the communication and processing and then the glasses just would need the shutters. That way the box could just sit near the couch and could even be plugged in to avoid batteries. I wouldn't mind being tethered to the couch to watch movies, but again I don't have money and would want to be able to have company over if I was to invest in 3D.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:

To compare with another new technology, the iPad sold triple that amount in dollars first day.

So you can't really blame it on being new and expensive. People just aren't that interested.

This is one of the most retarded comparasions I've ever seen, with the launch of intel pentium processors military groups around the world made a purchase hundred times what IPad sold in dollars first day.

Also what is the number of households in USA that can afford even a regular HDTV, that's not 103 mio, maybe half? Maybe less?

And BTW 3DTV is already beeing broadcasted, WorldCup for example has 3D Recording equipment made by Sony at half of the stadiums.

The military bought $15 billion of intel processors in one day? O RLY?

Yeah that's a bit low tbh, multiply that couple of times than.

Interesting considering their total quarterly revenue is around $10 billion.

I'd suggest you to re-read my original post, I'm afraid you are negatively affected by the USA = world syndrome.

Intel global revenue is around $10 billion per quarter.

The year is 1993 darling

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

.jayderyu said:

I think?  I think it's about right for early adopter tech. Let's consider how long it's taken to adopt HD TV. I bet anything that it's adoption rate will be slower. I also bet glasses based 3D TV will be dead at the point when it would make serious market penetration in favour of new glassless tech. Then REAL adoption of 3D will begin.

There was a medium before DVD. used similar tech, but the discs were the size of an old record style. these were Laserdiscs.  It was great tech and beat DVD to the market, but the size was inconvenient. Tape cassettes beat out records because of convenience. CD beat out Records because of convience. Technology MUST be convenient for it to be acceptably adopted as part of your living life style. 3D glasses work for movies because movies are not part of your normal living lifestyle.

I think finally. These TV producers are going to spend to much money in the wrong direction for 3D TV. Much like the other media format Laserdisc. Just remember even even early adopters bought laser disc. Early adopters buy any new technology just for the sake of the technology. It's the masses that buy tech for convenience.

Yay! Now I don't have to make a logical and well thought out post! Woooooot!

In any case in the short term I expect the passive glasses to win out over the active glasses because they are easier to wear, cheap and don't run out of batteries at the absolute wrong moment, especially in sizes above 40" because its easier to fit in the required pixel density if you do line by line polarisation.

Tease.

aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:

To compare with another new technology, the iPad sold triple that amount in dollars first day.

So you can't really blame it on being new and expensive. People just aren't that interested.

This is one of the most retarded comparasions I've ever seen, with the launch of intel pentium processors military groups around the world made a purchase hundred times what IPad sold in dollars first day.

Also what is the number of households in USA that can afford even a regular HDTV, that's not 103 mio, maybe half? Maybe less?

And BTW 3DTV is already beeing broadcasted, WorldCup for example has 3D Recording equipment made by Sony at half of the stadiums.

The military bought $15 billion of intel processors in one day? O RLY?

Yeah that's a bit low tbh, multiply that couple of times than.

Interesting considering their total quarterly revenue is around $10 billion.

I'd suggest you to re-read my original post, I'm afraid you are negatively affected by the USA = world syndrome.

Intel global revenue is around $10 billion per quarter.

The year is 1993 darling

ok so lets get this all cleared up.  You are saying in 1993, military organizations around the world bought a shit ton of processors?

hopefully that is all cleared up and what you meant, but then next question again.  What does Militaries all buying intel chip in 1993 have to do with 3DTV's?  Did I miss the memo saying all militaries are planning on buying a shit ton of 3DTV's soon?

Squilliam said:
.jayderyu said:

I think?  I think it's about right for early adopter tech. Let's consider how long it's taken to adopt HD TV. I bet anything that it's adoption rate will be slower. I also bet glasses based 3D TV will be dead at the point when it would make serious market penetration in favour of new glassless tech. Then REAL adoption of 3D will begin.

There was a medium before DVD. used similar tech, but the discs were the size of an old record style. these were Laserdiscs.  It was great tech and beat DVD to the market, but the size was inconvenient. Tape cassettes beat out records because of convenience. CD beat out Records because of convience. Technology MUST be convenient for it to be acceptably adopted as part of your living life style. 3D glasses work for movies because movies are not part of your normal living lifestyle.

I think finally. These TV producers are going to spend to much money in the wrong direction for 3D TV. Much like the other media format Laserdisc. Just remember even even early adopters bought laser disc. Early adopters buy any new technology just for the sake of the technology. It's the masses that buy tech for convenience.

Yay! Now I don't have to make a logical and well thought out post! Woooooot!

In any case in the short term I expect the passive glasses to win out over the active glasses because they are easier to wear, cheap and don't run out of batteries at the absolute wrong moment, especially in sizes above 40" because its easier to fit in the required pixel density if you do line by line polarisation.

active galsses and passive glasses?  ok i'm lost on this 3d tech apparantly.  I know of the red/blue glasses, and i know fo the glasses given at 3d movies in theatres.

there is more?  there are glasses i need to put BATTERIES in?  Wow I thought i was turned off 3D before, but screw batteries.