By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - sales of 3D-TV's in the US

Well im happy i never bought a HDTV. I knew that was going to be a waste of money. Call it spider sense.

Is there much more they can add to a TV at this point?

Around the Network
aragod said:
Grimes said:

To compare with another new technology, the iPad sold triple that amount in dollars first day.

So you can't really blame it on being new and expensive. People just aren't that interested.

This is one of the most retarded comparasions I've ever seen, with the launch of intel pentium processors military groups around the world made a purchase hundred times what IPad sold in dollars first day.

Also what is the number of households in USA that can afford even a regular HDTV, that's not 103 mio, maybe half? Maybe less?

And BTW 3DTV is already beeing broadcasted, WorldCup for example has 3D Recording equipment made by Sony at half of the stadiums.

The military bought $15 billion of intel processors in one day? O RLY?

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:

To compare with another new technology, the iPad sold triple that amount in dollars first day.

So you can't really blame it on being new and expensive. People just aren't that interested.

This is one of the most retarded comparasions I've ever seen, with the launch of intel pentium processors military groups around the world made a purchase hundred times what IPad sold in dollars first day.

Also what is the number of households in USA that can afford even a regular HDTV, that's not 103 mio, maybe half? Maybe less?

And BTW 3DTV is already beeing broadcasted, WorldCup for example has 3D Recording equipment made by Sony at half of the stadiums.

Yeah that's a bit low tbh, multiply that couple of times than.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:

Interesting considering their total quarterly revenue is around $10 billion.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:

I'd suggest you to re-read my original post, I'm afraid you are negatively affected by the USA = world syndrome.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Around the Network

why are you discussing intel and military groups?

are military groups around the world going to buy a bagillion 3D TV's or something i haven't heard about?

HappySqurriel said:
irstupid said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm waiting for glasses free tv's

I figure by the time 3D is worth it, they will be soon in coming.  I mean what is there to do in 3D now anyway?  Is there any tv shows in 3D?  A few movies made in 3D, rest just tacked on, like wii motion games, lol.  And a couple games also in 3D.  Totally not worth it for me now.

And by the time it is, I figure we should be close to glasses free being done.

I dont' want to have to buy like  5 glasses and still be short at times, and then worry about scratching, losing, ect.  Screw that noise.

Personally, I’m anticipating that 3DTV will be adopted at a similar rate to HDTV; and when you consider that the first HDTV broadcasts and sales were in the mid 1990s and 15 years later we’re almost at a 50% adoption rate, I don’t think that we will be at a point where it makes sense to buy a 3DTV for quite some time.

Wow, I didn't realise HDTV was that old. We're talking 15 years to reach 50% - and the average consumption during this time is the highest of all time. In the next 15 years, we're going to be seeing a lot of austerity - and the relative price is much higher (thanks to propitiatory technologies, and extra accessories such as the 3D glasses).

We then have to also consider that a lot of consumers dislike 3D glasses. People, like me, not only find them obstructive, uncomfortable, and, let's be honest, unfashionable, but the fact that we already require glasses just adds to the problems. Some people also find the 3D effect disorientating.

When all is said and done, I don't think the demand for 3D content is actually all that great, anyway - forget the price levels, and what-have-ya. Cinemas still show 2D films as well as 3D as many consumers don't even value the 3D at the extra £1 in ticket price, let alone thousands on TVs, new receivers, glasses, etc, etc.

I think Sony (being the biggest investor in this, from what I can see), has really screwed up.

How people can think Killzone 3* will propel a technology that costs thousands, all told, into the mainstream, when Killzone 2 didn't even propel a console that costs just hundreds of dollars, is beyond me.

aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:
aragod said:
Grimes said:

I'd suggest you to re-read my original post, I'm afraid you are negatively affected by the USA = world syndrome.

Intel global revenue is around $10 billion per quarter.

This is pennies in terms of movement, and why I'm actually not all that excited about PS3 3D gaming. Who has the tvs that can render this?

They're not moving many units but they're going to need costs to go down and content to go up before it gets up there.

I think?  I think it's about right for early adopter tech. Let's consider how long it's taken to adopt HD TV. I bet anything that it's adoption rate will be slower. I also bet glasses based 3D TV will be dead at the point when it would make serious market penetration in favour of new glassless tech. Then REAL adoption of 3D will begin.

There was a medium before DVD. used similar tech, but the discs were the size of an old record style. these were Laserdiscs.  It was great tech and beat DVD to the market, but the size was inconvenient. Tape cassettes beat out records because of convenience. CD beat out Records because of convience. Technology MUST be convenient for it to be acceptably adopted as part of your living life style. 3D glasses work for movies because movies are not part of your normal living lifestyle.

I think finally. These TV producers are going to spend to much money in the wrong direction for 3D TV. Much like the other media format Laserdisc. Just remember even even early adopters bought laser disc. Early adopters buy any new technology just for the sake of the technology. It's the masses that buy tech for convenience.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.